SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Should also take a long look at Nick Leach. He led the conference in rushing as a Junior and was average over 200yards a game this year at 11 yards per carry. He tore his ACL but expects full recovery. University of Minnesota wants him as a preferred walk on. Take a look at his highlights on hudl

I am very familiar with Nick Leach and love the way he plays. Not sure he would play RB in college, but a athlete that good will find a place on the field. Honestly, I wouldn't scholarship anyone with a injury until they have fully recovered, so a preferred walk on will probably be what he gets from anyone.

Bullcrap.

Bull. Crap.

Bull-freakin'-crap.

Linemen.

Line. Men.

Big. Mean. Nasty. Ugly. Surly. Enjoy listening to the wind come out of you and seeing the snot fly out of your nose right before the blood comes out of your nose because they hit you that hard linemen.

On both sides of the ball.

Line. MEN.

Give me a class of 20 recruits that enjoy inflicting their will (and vast quantities of gross pain) onto opponents at the line of scrimmage and you can have all the "hops" you want. Let's see who wins.

Linemen.

Linemen are included in the defenders and we always get hogs in every class.

Honestly, I wouldn't scholarship anyone with a injury until they have fully recovered, so a preferred walk on will probably be what he gets from anyone.

Unforutnately at this level, sometimes you have to roll the dice on a situation like this or with academics to get a kid that you otherwise may not.

Unforutnately at this level, sometimes you have to roll the dice on a situation like this or with academics to get a kid that you otherwise may not.

As a coach, I would not be willing to roll the dice on a $60,000 - $120,000 scholarship for a kid that could possibly never play or have a lengthy recovery. I would rather give a preferred walk on and scholarship him after he has completely recovered and proven that he is back to normal. When you have a limited number of scholarships, you don't want to use one in the hopes that he will be 100% again. Remember, Adrian Peterson is a freak, so thinking that he will be ready to practice in 10 months, is wishful thinking. With that said, I would love to see Leach come to UND.

As a coach, I would not be willing to roll the dice on a $60,000 - $120,000 scholarship for a kid that could possibly never play or have a lengthy recovery. I would rather give a preferred walk on and scholarship him after he has completely recovered and proven that he is back to normal. When you have a limited number of scholarships, you don't want to use one in the hopes that he will be 100% again. Remember, Adrian Peterson is a freak, so thinking that he will be ready to practice in 10 months, is wishful thinking. With that said, I would love to see Leach come to UND.

Point taken, though at the FCS level scholarships do not have to be a full ride. You could offer a partial scholarship to come here and get fully healthy and then prove himself was more along what I was thinking. Also, as bad as it sounds and something that you hope coaches don't do often, but scholarships are only guaranteed for one year, not for the full duration they are at the school. Not sure he would want to stay here if he isn't able to play either. I don't know anything about this particular kid and I hope he is able to recover enough so that his athletic ability is able to earn him a college scholarship somewhere. Not advocating the coaching staff offers him a scholarship with the thought of cutting him a year later if he can't cut it, just stating he may be worth rolling the dice on a partial scholarship.

Point taken, though at the FCS level scholarships do not have to be a full ride. You could offer a partial scholarship to come here and get fully healthy and then prove himself was more along what I was thinking. Also, as bad as it sounds and something that you hope coaches don't do often, but scholarships are only guaranteed for one year, not for the full duration they are at the school. Not sure he would want to stay here if he isn't able to play either. I don't know anything about this particular kid and I hope he is able to recover enough so that his athletic ability is able to earn him a college scholarship somewhere. Not advocating the coaching staff offers him a scholarship with the thought of cutting him a year later if he can't cut it, just stating he may be worth rolling the dice on a partial scholarship.

He also has a redshirt year to get healthy. If he looks like he could be a stud when healthy it could be worth a gamble to give a 1/2 scholarship to see how he heals for a year.

He also has a redshirt year to get healthy. If he looks like he could be a stud when healthy it could be worth a gamble to give a 1/2 scholarship to see how he heals for a year.

Exactly. Lots of FCS and lower FBS schools get stud kids like this. The big schools don't need to take a gamble.

Pulling a scholarship is a slippery slop for any college. Once a school is know to pull scholarships, that reputation will spread quickly and be used against them by other schools. Rolling the dice could cost you multiple kids in the future.

Exactly. Lots of FCS and lower FBS schools get stud kids like this. The big schools don't need to take a gamble.

I believe giving Leach a partial may be enough to get him to come to UND. Since he already has a PWO offer from Minnesota it may be unlikely that he accepts the same from UND. I watched him play twice this year and he the best running back I have seen. He is big, fast, strong, and has quick feet and could play other positions in college. Google Nick Leach Eastridge Football and look at his hudl highlights to see for yourself. I think it would be a good risk for Sioux Football.

Pulling a scholarship is a slippery slop for any college. Once a school is know to pull scholarships, that reputation will spread quickly and be used against them by other schools. Rolling the dice could cost you multiple kids in the future.

I agree completely with this which is why I said it is something you hope coaches don't use. My point was more along the lines of it not being a 4-5 year committment and if a player doesn't recover fully and can't play or doesn't see the field, its not like the scholarship would be "stuck on the books" or anything like that if they choose to not play anymore or transfer some where else where they would.

I glanced at Leach's highlights, like his size. If he already has a PWO from UofM, it will definitely take at least a partial to get him here and even that may not be enough. Looks like he would be worth it though.

I agree completely with this which is why I said it is something you hope coaches don't use. My point was more along the lines of it not being a 4-5 year committment and if a player doesn't recover fully and can't play or doesn't see the field, its not like the scholarship would be "stuck on the books" or anything like that if they choose to not play anymore or transfer some where else where they would.

I glanced at Leach's highlights, like his size. If he already has a PWO from UofM, it will definitely take at least a partial to get him here and even that may not be enough. Looks like he would be worth it though.

Leach would be a great get, even for a partial.