SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Fairly certain that Luke Elsner from Seymour, Wisconsin was on campus today at the hockey game. Yahoo has him as a DE. He stands 6 foot 4 and 225. His twitter account shows that he has an offer from UND as well as Air Force, NDSU and South Dakota.

He must be here...

Luke Elsner@elsner84 6m

One of the best hockey rinks in the nation

Was Bubba with Wilkie today?

Not sure, I wasn't at b-ball game, just going off of what I saw on Wilkie's twitter.

Fairly certain that Luke Elsner from Seymour, Wisconsin was on campus today at the hockey game. Yahoo has him as a DE. He stands 6 foot 4 and 225. His twitter account shows that he has an offer from UND as well as Air Force, NDSU and South Dakota.

Yes I believe he is there.

I'm at a loss as to why we didn't bring in a whole lot more recruits this weekend. Afterall, the weather was perfect and the hockey team was playing at the Ralph. It would seem like someone dropped the ball here, especially with signing day only 3 weeks away. I just hope we have enough interested guys with talent left to go after.

I said two months ago that recruiting was going to be the dark spot in our future and it sure looks like that's how it's playing out. I'm also going to repeat something else, you can have the best coaches in all of football, but they can't win if you don't have the talent.

There has to be a wholesale change in recruiting strategy next year. We can't just talk about getting these guys, we have to get them on campus and show them we are a serious football program, otherwise, the death spiral we are currently in will just go on and on, and I'm starting to believe it will. Four verbals so far when we need close to 25 with the grads and the defections.

Rant over.

I'm at a loss as to why we didn't bring in a whole lot more recruits this weekend. Afterall, the weather was perfect and the hockey team was playing at the Ralph. It would seem like someone dropped the ball here, especially with signing day only 3 weeks away. I just hope we have enough interested guys with talent left to go after.

I said two months ago that recruiting was going to be the dark spot in our future and it sure looks like that's how it's playing out. I'm also going to repeat something else, you can have the best coaches in all of football, but they can't win if you don't have the talent.

There has to be a wholesale change in recruiting strategy next year. We can't just talk about getting these guys, we have to get them on campus and show them we are a serious football program, otherwise, the death spiral we are currently in will just go on and on, and I'm starting to believe it will. Four verbals so far when we need close to 25 with the grads and the defections.

Rant over.

Relax. You're jumping the gun. The entire staff isn't together yet - that needs to happen before you can have a huge recruiting weekend. This year's recruiting class will not be anywhere near as disastrous as you claim it will be.

I might be wrong but I'd be willing to bet they don't wait until mid January next year for recruiting weekends.

It's only been a couple weeks. Coaches aren't going to just show up in a kids living room, invite him on campus and expect him to show. They need some time to evaluate. In my opinion we will get some talent this class but I'm not basing my judgement on how this staff does this year. Afterall, they had 4 weeks.

Rant over.

Are you joking? You obviously have no idea how much goes into a recruiting weekend. They only have 3 full time coaches on campus that are up to speed. Three. It takes an entire staff of coaches to pull off a successful recruiting weekend that normally has 10-15 kids and their parents. Tours, meetings, meals, events, etc. It takes a lot of man power.

Also, the NCAA dead period was just lifted last Monday so they had this past week to visit with recruits for the first time. Some of them literally for the first time. There was no way in hell they could have gotten a full slate of kids assembled in 1 week. Newsflash: the recruits also have other visits lined up so trying to get them in for a weekend is tough enough.

This is the exact reason why most on this board were bitching about how long Faison was taking to hire the coach. If he got the coach hired in mid-December like then that coach would have had his staff on campus and ready to go a day or two after Xmas. Look no further than that joke of a hiring process for why this weekend was not able to happen. They may have been able to scab out a 5-10 person group with the right amount of time. They at least would have had an 'almost' full staff on campus.