SiouxSports.com Forum

Realistic Expectations for UND in the Big Sky

ALPHAGRIZ1

I would love to hear who ran all over UND and how they had problems with the run. Please expand.

I'll answer that - there were no run first teams that you guys played last year. Why run when it's easier to just pass ? There are very few run first teams in the BSC. You'll have a better gauge this year as to how you stack up.

I'll answer that - there were no run first teams that you guys played last year. Why run when it's easier to just pass ? There are very few run first teams in the BSC. You'll have a better gauge this year as to how you stack up.

Cal Poly is not a run first team, they run a pass first triple option

Kick Ret Punt Ret tot Date Opponent no. yds td lg no. yds td lg c-a-i yds td lg

Looks like Cal-Poly, who is run first, had success vs. UND. Although they ran the ball 52 times to get those 222 yards. Other than that not a lot going on.

When talking about run-first teams, who in this day and age really is run-first, like you said? Most teams are 50/50 when the day is over and simply run balanced offenses.

So basically the comment by MG2009, who of course is a Bison fan that knows a ton about UND, was complete asinine. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Looks like Cal-Poly, who is run first, had success vs. UND. Although they ran the ball 52 times to get those 222 yards. Other than that not a lot going on.

When talking about run-first teams, who in this day and age really is run-first, like you said? Most teams are 50/50 when the day is over and simply run balanced offenses.

So basically the comment by MG2009, who of course is a Bison fan that knows a ton about UND, was complete asinine. :silly:

Let's see - GS, SHSU, NDSU, James Madison. This is just a small sample that run first but have the ability to pass to keep the D honest. Oh and you guys too!

Let's see - GS, SHSU, NDSU, James Madison. This is just a small sample that run first but have the ability to pass to keep the D honest. Oh and you guys too!

You just named 4 teams out of 126. Like I said, most teams are closer to 50/50 at the end of the day so a "run-first" notion is not reality. If they open up the game with a pass are they pass-first?

Off the top of my head, the MVFC and socon are both run first conferences. Not to mention the big10 and sec.

If people want to run around praising the ground defense (which I agree, is UND's relative strength), and say that run heavy teams aren't a problem, when in fact UND hasn't played any particularly capable ground teams, and those that have come close, they have lost to.

What I'm trying to get at is that based on the last few years, we shouldn't be overestimating our strengths. Montana will likely be the best rushing team UND has played in a while, and to run around saying that it won't be a problem, is plainly without support.

Off the top of my head, the MVFC and socon are both run first conferences. Not to mention the big10 and sec.

If people want to run around praising the ground defense (which I agree, is UND's relative strength), and say that run heavy teams aren't a problem, when in fact UND hasn't played any particularly capable ground teams, and those that have come close, they have lost to.

What I'm trying to get at is that based on the last few years, we shouldn't be overestimating our strengths. Montana will likely be the best rushing team UND has played in a while, and to run around saying that it won't be a problem, is plainly without support.

We? Your an NDSU fan.

As most UND fans know, WE stand a much better chance against balanced/running teams than teams that throw it 50 times a game.

• Upvote 1

We? Your an NDSU fan.

As most UND fans know, WE stand a much better chance against balanced/running teams than teams that throw it 50 times a game.

I love how any deviation from the party line around here makes one a bison fan (i'm a fan of both schools, fyi, and am a UND alum and working on a second degree at UND)

What I think he is saying is he likes UND, but he also likes the idea of watching football in January so he is a Bison fan when that time of the year rolls around. ;)

I like the idea of cheering for North Dakota teams but always love to see NDSU fail which made last year miserable. I used to be able to count on them to lose to a terrible team like back in 08

That is very hard for me to comprehend...

I was raised in a family of mixed educations. Including aunts, uncles and cousins, its like 15 alumni of each with at least two graduating from both schools. I'm from Fargo and enjoy my hometown and want it to do well, including it's university and sports programs.

On the other hand i don't really like grand forks, aside from about a 3 block radius of demers and 3rd street.

I was raised in a family of mixed educations. Including aunts, uncles and cousins, its like 15 alumni of each with at least two graduating from both schools. I'm from Fargo and enjoy my hometown and want it to do well, including it's university and sports programs.

On the other hand i don't really like grand forks, aside from about a 3 block radius of demers and 3rd street.

I have many cousins that are engineers and all went to NDSU and I also have a degree from NDSU(and UND) but hate to see them succeed at anything. But if you're into that sort of thing good for you.

I love how any deviation from the party line around here makes one a bison fan (i'm a fan of both schools, fyi, and am a UND alum and working on a second degree at UND)

I can understand Bison fans being a fan of UND hockey. there are a lot of those. But a person that cheers for both UND and NDSU in football?? WOW...didn't think such a person existed!! :)

I can understand Bison fans being a fan of UND hockey. there are a lot of those. But a person that cheers for both UND and NDSU in football?? WOW...didn't think such a person existed!! :)

I can understand why a UND hockies fan would cheer for teh Herd as well. I think cheering for UND and NDSU football is similar to dividing by zero. Catostrophic implications.

I can understand why a UND hockies fan would cheer for teh Herd as well. I think cheering for UND and NDSU football is similar to dividing by zero. Catostrophic implications.

Question for you on something that has bugged me in your posts. Why do you use the word "teh" when you say "teh UND" and "teh Herd"? Is there an inside joke or something I am missing out on??

Question for you on something that has bugged me in your posts. Why do you use the word "teh" when you say "teh UND" and "teh Herd"? Is there an inside joke or something I am missing out on??

its a bisonville thing as far as my knowledge and some of them are lazy spellchecking. In this case, it was not lazy spellchecking.

UND hasn't had a offense capable of keeping another teams offense off the field by gaining first downs consistently in a few years. Our defense has been put into some tough spots and has been on the field way more than is fair to ask. It all comes down to our offense performing to the level they are capable of this year. Even you, Bison Dan and teh Jonnyboy don't know if they are going to do that.

excellent use of 'teh' but at least get the name right. JohnBoy. Not Jonnyboy. Good lord. Good post as well outside of that large error.

Ill be honest I read it as JohnnyBoy up until a few days ago. It msut be one of thsoe thngis that teh brain does. I use teh sometimes when posting sarcastic things such as teh New Logo.

• Upvote 3

What I think he is saying is he likes UND, but he also likes the idea of watching football in January so he is a Bison fan when that time of the year rolls around. ;)

Since NDSU plays in January once every 20 years you must be watching reruns of the 2011 NDSU team. :whistling: