SiouxSports.com Forum

Duluth and the Decc

Riverman

I don't have a problem with a new arena, but why is the state paying any money towards this? It's something for Duluth, and they should come up with local taxes and private donations to pay for it.

Disagree.... for some things I think the state needs to pitch in. If not, then only the most populous areas would get any decent infrastructure. Duluth neeeeeeeeeds this arena.... the current facility is ECAC at best. This is the freaking WCHA!

"Disagree.... for some things I think the state needs to pitch in. If not, then only the most populous areas would get any decent infrastructure. Duluth neeeeeeeeeds this arena.... the current facility is ECAC at best. This is the freaking WCHA! "

I totally disagree with this statement, it shouldnt cost the taxpayers a dime. You just need to find a billionare alumni who loves your team :lol:

Disagree.... for some things I think the state needs to pitch in. If not, then only the most populous areas would get any decent infrastructure. Duluth neeeeeeeeeds this arena.... the current facility is ECAC at best. This is the freaking WCHA!

Duluth is a pretty big city. I would like to think they could handle themselves.

Where do you draw the line. I think BSU needs a new facility over Duluth. Did Mankato and SCSU get state funding for their arenas?

I don't see why being in the WCHA over another conference would make a difference. When you've seen BSU's arena, you would wish that they could get a new one. High school teams play in better rinks. In fact, I believe Bemidji's high school does play there.

Some Duluth high schools play at the DECC also.

Anyway, I have never seen BSU's arena, so I can't say.

With the addition of BSU to the WCHA, there will be 5 teams from Minnesota in the WCHA. Duluth struggles with recruiting as it is. Now 5 teams will be fighting over the top kids in the state. Plus UND coaxing our kids up there... :lol:

Some Duluth high schools play at the DECC also.

Anyway, I have never seen BSU's arena, so I can't say.

With the addition of BSU to the WCHA, there will be 5 teams from Minnesota in the WCHA. Duluth struggles with recruiting as it is. Now 5 teams will be fighting over the top kids in the state. Plus UND coaxing our kids up there... :lol:

Who said BSU was joining the WCHA?

Here's why the state should and must be involved with a new arena project in Duluth:

UMD is a campus in the University of Minnesota system (along with Crookston, Twin Cities and Morris). In the past decade, the regents of that system have built (using university and state money) state-of-the-art new hockey facilities for men's and women's hockey at the Twin Cities campus, while allowing UMD to continue playing in an off-campus convention center that was built in 1966.

At the same time, they've expected UMD's hockey teams to recruit and compete at the same level, in the same conference, as the Gophers. That's wrong, and a new arena would be a step toward making it right.

"Disagree.... for some things I think the state needs to pitch in. If not, then only the most populous areas would get any decent infrastructure. Duluth neeeeeeeeeds this arena.... the current facility is ECAC at best. This is the freaking WCHA! "

I totally disagree with this statement, it shouldnt cost the taxpayers a dime. You just need to find a billionare alumni who loves your team :lol:

But the state should pay for the Vikings and Twins which is in the Twin cities. This is our "big" sports team, and if the citites is going to get money, so should we. And the Main U gets all kinds of state dollars, there is no reason why they should not help out with ours.

I have no problems with (duh)UMD getting a new barn. If they want to build it on campus, then the state should fund it the way they do with other campus buildings in the University system. If the city wants to expand the DECC for activities off-campus, beyond hockey or other college sports, then they should be willing to submit a bonding proposal to the Legislature just like Mpls, St. Paul, etc. do when they expand facilities, and not expect a handout from the General Revenue Fund.

UMD does have a potential bigtime alumni to help financially: Brett Hull.

He even keeps a home in Duluth! Tap him. He's worth the bucks. Hell, I'd love to go see a UMD vs UND game in Hull Arena :lol:

As you could probably expect, Hull is kind of an arrogant bastid. He is really bitter toward tUMD hockey now, since his buddy Norm MacIver didn't get the head job when Sandy did. Norm was one of the three finalists and Brett supposedly made repeated calls to our AD and boosters that he wanted Norm. So I don't think tUMD will see much, if any, money from him.

And you know he'll be the first one to use the ice and weight room (if there is one there) once it's built in the summertime. :lol:

As you could probably expect, Hull is kind of an arrogant bastid. He is really bitter toward tUMD hockey now, since his buddy Norm MacIver didn't get the head job when Sandy did. Norm was one of the three finalists and Brett supposedly made repeated calls to our AD and boosters that he wanted Norm. So I don't think tUMD will see much, if any, money from him.

And you know he'll be the first one to use the ice and weight room (if there is one there) once it's built in the summertime. :lol:

Funny, but I happened to read the article in Northwest Airline's inflight magazine about him and he had nothing bad to say about Duluth or UMD. He did kinda flame Team Canada though...

And Norm MacIver would be a pretty good coach too, but Scotty is better.. What am I saying? I want Scotty back!

BTW- Bad show for those in the lower bowl who actually booed when Scotty's son came out on the ice to pick up stuff in the Northstar find the phone contest... Although maybe it was booing the dude who found the phone or the contest itself. Who knows.

Scotty is a class act, folks. Understudy of Dean Blais. Great recruiter. His son was born in Grand Forks and was instantly adopted by the community only to have him be uprooted to Duluth. I still think he's wearing the wrong jersey but you gotta love the kid regardless. We all know he will grow up and turn into a great hockey player and then shock the Minnesotans by attending UND. :huh:

I believe all schools are controlled by the state of Minnesota, including Bemidji, the state schools (ie mankato and st. cloud) and the Tech schools. I believe they are just grouped differently. I believe that only private schools don't get some sort of state money (ie Gustavus).

I guess my thinking goes with ScottM. If it was a UMD only for sports type of facility, then I suppose the state could give some money. If it's meant to be more of a concert center, then the state shouldn't pay. I just don't understand funding a stadium by the state with all the cutbacks they have made in education. Anyone know how much the state put up for Mariucci? I believe Riddle arena (gopher women) was all private donations.

I guess my thinking goes with ScottM. If it was a UMD only for sports type of facility, then I suppose the state could give some money. If it's meant to be more of a concert center, then the state shouldn't pay. I just don't understand funding a stadium by the state with all the cutbacks they have made in education. Anyone know how much the state put up for Mariucci? I believe Riddle arena (gopher women) was all private donations.

I'm not totally in agreement with your statement here. The city of Duluth is asking for the money, not tUMD. The funding is not going to come out of the University funding from my understanding, but rather general state funding. The DECC additions have been largely funded by the state, as has the aquarium, Canal Park, aerial lift bridge restoration, and many of the convention center type things in every medium sized Minnesota town. I think the fact that this is not just a hockey arena is what will get the money for the city.

And I believe Ridder Arena was about half private donations, but don't have the hard numbers.

I think the state should put money in for it if it is going to benefit the entire community, not if i it is going to benefit just UMD. I would think that it would be nice to have a facility whose function is similar to that of UNO's facility. Of course, a facility that size is not practical for Duluth, but it can be scaled down to fit Duluth. If it had the ability to be converted to handle different functions like basketball games, concerts, conventions, graduationa, hockey, and other special events, I think it would be in the best interest of everyone in the region to fund the arena.

Practical expenditure on arenas is always supported. It's BS stadium politics that make me angry. Case in point: Twins and Vikings. Oh yeah, Gophers football stadium.

It's BS stadium politics that make me angry. Case in point: Twins and Vikings. Oh yeah, Gophers football stadium.

The Twins and Vikings need a new stadium, the Metrodump won't cut it. The Gophers need a new one too. The state should fund PART of it, the owners and the University (respectively)the other part. Duluth needs a new arena as well. It can be used for other stuff besides Bulldog sports and it WOULD serve the community rather than just tUMD.

That might be what you were saying, but if not.....my $.02

Not sure if this is accurate, but saw it on POI.

The state funded 10 mill for Riddle arena.

The state funded nothing for Mariucci.

I don't mind the state giving money to things like camp grounds and stuff, but for something that is supposed to be a money maker I really question it. Why should Duluth get a new concert/multi-purpose facility. Shouldn't other cities then as well? Where do you draw the line? If Grand Forks can support a partial sales tax increase to build the Alerus, then I'd think Duluth (which is a much bigger city) could support itself and build a new muti-purpose facility.