SiouxSports.com Forum

Duluth and the Decc

Riverman

Glen Taylor financed the Mankato arena. Why does BSU need a new stadium?? They're not in the WCHA yet...(nor do I think they should be)

Taylor financed Mankato's new basketball/volleyball arena, but not the hockey arena. I believe the MW Civic Center was built with Mankato sales tax money.

Tourism dollars/sales tax I think would help. I stay there few times during the summer you should see what they get for rooms! :blush:

But to be serious I think there is a Mason Dixon line in Minnesota. And those Southern folk just don't like their kin in Northern Minnesota..(see Roseau flood) :silly:

So I really don't see the state handing out any money.

Our bad that we don't have a millionaire that was a life long backup goalie like Doug Peterson is for the packers to pay for all this stuff and get his number retired. The guy was a backup in the 50's, all you had to do was stand on skates to be a backup in the 50's. I have a great idea, I will become a millionaire someday, build crap for tUMD, and have them retire a number I never wore, but make them retire it because I was a huge fan. Maybe we can even make up a story that I would have been a great bulldog someday but blew out both my knees saving Junior from drowning or something like that.

Yes, it is not a MINNESOTA venture, but the buildings main purpose is for the hockey teams, and in the summer they can do what they like with it. Good for them. I am all for it, raise my taxes a penny, I don't care. It's a freaking penny.

But wait, if I spend 10,000 dollars at target, that will cost me another 100 dollars. Well if I have that much, whats another 100.

note: I bet I will get banned from your board for ripping on the god in grand forks they call ralph.

Our bad that we don't have a millionaire that was a life long backup goalie like Doug Peterson is for the packers to pay for all this stuff and get his number retired. The guy was a backup in the 50's, all you had to do was stand on skates to be a backup in the 50's. I have a great idea, I will become a millionaire someday, build crap for tUMD, and have them retire a number I never wore, but make them retire it because I was a huge fan. Maybe we can even make up a story that I would have been a great bulldog someday but blew out both my knees saving Junior from drowning or something like that.

Yes, it is not a MINNESOTA venture, but the buildings main purpose is for the hockey teams, and in the summer they can do what they like with it. Good for them. I am all for it, raise my taxes a penny, I don't care. It's a freaking penny.

But wait, if I spend 10,000 dollars at target, that will cost me another 100 dollars. Well if I have that much, whats another 100.

note: I bet I will get banned from your board for ripping on the god in grand forks they call ralph.

I don't know if you will be banned or not, but the least you could do is get the facts straight.

Ralph had a stellar HS career and deserved to be on the team. Unfortunately we had a solid goaltender at the time and Ralph did not play much. Regardless, he was treated very well and wished to share his experience with the college he had attended. I am not going to sit here and say that Ralph was a great man or a god, because I did not know him personally, but I respect him for his loyalty to the University despite his values in certain areas.

His number was retired because he put down more than 100 million $$$. I think a stupid number is worth it in exchange. Dislike him if you want, but he helped with 2 arenas (New REA and TRF arena) and had something to do with the Old Ralph. He also advocated for the students in their section. Trust me, when he died, the students took a hit.

You call this ripping...DHG, I'm dissapointed, I know you can do better than that :blush:

I really don't care who he backed up, or if that's all he did. He made a lot of money and was very generous with it to his alma mater. Good for us.

redwing...are you saying they should build a stadium inside the Metrodump like they did in Chicago like they did with Soldier Field? The only reason they did that with Soldier Field is because Daly would have been castrated if he tore it down (he should...seeing what he did to Meigs Field :silly: ) I would be 100% against building a stadium inside the Dome. A new stadium is needed for both the Twins and Vikings, but Red McCombs and Carl Pohlad need to throw down for it, and they won't. The Gophers are a different matter, they need a stadium, on campus...for themselves. Not sharing with the Vikings and Twins.

What a moron. Son, fat drunk and stupid will get you knowwhere........and jealousy as well. Too bad loser.

You call this ripping...DHG, I'm dissapointed, I know you can do better than that :blush:

I really don't care who he backed up, or if that's all he did. He made a lot of money and was very generous with it to his alma mater. Good for us.

redwing...are you saying they should build a stadium inside the Metrodump like they did in Chicago like they did with Soldier Field? The only reason they did that with Soldier Field is because Daly would have been castrated if he tore it down (he should...seeing what he did to Meigs Field :silly: ) I would be 100% against building a stadium inside the Dome. A new stadium is needed for both the Twins and Vikings, but Red McCombs and Carl Pohlad need to throw down for it, and they won't. The Gophers are a different matter, they need a stadium, on campus...for themselves. Not sharing with the Vikings and Twins.

MNS- Not really, but I think it should involve the same site. Building a stadium out of the existing structure would be interesting. Get rid of the sail then build out the walls and perhaps renovate and add a retractable roof. I don't know much about stadium construction (Obviously) but I really don't think it is in the best interests of the state and the population to build a stadium the likes of Seattle's for two teams whose fanbase is incredibly fickle and whose ownership is two faced. Remember, folks, Carl volunteered his team for contraction. Do you think a state and its population should be willing to reward Carl's attitude with providing him with a new stadium regardless of how much money he puts into it?

Another issue with the stadium contraversy is twofold: 1) presentation. It's all in the presentation. If you put the context for this in such a manner as "Build it or we will leave" people could and have been very negative towards this type of neogtiation tactics. Pick the positive and stick with it throughout and make the state look bad. Eventually it will change. Carl didn't do that. His bad.

2) Timing. Carl started all of this THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD. When people are fighting to keep their HOMES, what possible reason could justify a new stadium over people's homes? No, I think Carl shot his own foot with the stadium issue. People are still sour about that. That's why if a new stadium is to be built, it should be built as one stadium for both teams and Red McCombs should get preferential treatment.

Again, as for the Gophers, 1 for 1 parking space replacement at no detriment to the students, faculty, and staff who usually park there as well as a detailed and beneficial package to students who wish to attend the games, and I'd support it. But I do not see any benefits for those who attend UM with the new stadium.

UND has the nicest hockey facility in the world. How could anyone not be jealous? :silly: Now atmosphere - I'm not jealous of that - the Old Ralph had 7 times the amount of atmosphere.

I don't know if I would go as high as 7, but close. However, with out new arena I would say we still have atmosphere that is several times better than the DECC. Do you think the new arena would also make it worse like it did for us, or improve or stay the same?

The reason that we couldn't do that with the Metrodome is...where would we play when it's getting built? The Alerus? Chicago was fortunate enough to have U of I in realtively close proximity where they could play. There wouldn't be anyplace close enough for the Vikings to play, so it has to be built at a different site. Plus, you ever been to a game there? It's not in a great location. Not easy to get to either. Parking in the area sucks.

And both Carl and Red need to sell their respective teams...they're not very good owners.

I don't know if I would go as high as 7, but close. However, with out new arena I would say we still have atmosphere that is several times better than the DECC. Do you think the new arena would also make it worse like it did for us, or improve or stay the same?

tUMD's atmosphere problem isn't the arena, it's the past failures of the team. People are still reluctant to go to games because of how bad the program was for the better part of the late 90's. They will come back eventually, new arena or not. However, I think a new arena would really rejuvenate the fanbase and alumni. I would guess the atmosphere would improve just because of that...

Too bad there aren't more "through thick and thin" types in Duluth. People don't want to help push the sled up the hill, but they hop on for the ride down. True, the Dogs had some bad years in the late 90's and early 00's, but can't people see that without their support, the team will keep spinning their wheels? I only wish I could attend more games, but I live in the cities, so it's difficult to get up there for a weekend. I've worn my UMD jersey proudly at the Final Five (even the years when the Dogz finished last), and the Dogs can always count on me as a fan...no matter what.

Too bad there aren't more "through thick and thin" types in Duluth. People don't want to help push the sled up the hill, but they hop on for the ride down. True, the Dogs had some bad years in the late 90's and early 00's, but can't people see that without their support, the team will keep spinning their wheels? I only wish I could attend more games, but I live in the cities, so it's difficult to get up there for a weekend. I've worn my UMD jersey proudly at the Final Five (even the years when the Dogz finished last), and the Dogs can always count on me as a fan...no matter what.

Ok, I had this statement cooked up to say about fans and such, but I don't think it is a very flattering statement and it is best left unsaid. But I will say is this:

What it comes down to is this: Love the fans who do show up day in and day out, through thick and thin for your team. Respect the people who may not make it to the game but at least make the effort to tune in somehow when it is available. Thank all those who come periodically or only once a year. Don't have to respect them, but they are supporting your team for at least one series or even game a year and that's worth atleast a little.