SiouxSports.com Forum

How will you vote June 12th?

Siouxperfan7

Measure 4  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote?

• YES - means you approve Senate Bill 2370, the effect of which would allow the University of North Dakota to discontinue the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.
    • NO - means you reject Senate Bill 2370, and require the University of North Dakota to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

another slam against ND --- that will help your cause

ND is sick of UND & NDSU BEWARE !!!

I don't have a clue what you're talking about with the "slam against ND" statement. I've been a resident for most of my life and my family was here before there was a North Dakota. I do everything I can to protect the state. Helping UND retire the nickname is another way to protect a major North Dakota asset. Of course it's hard to understand what point you're trying to make most of the time.

You do realize that if anything happens to UND athletics your beloved nickname is a casualty, don't you? The nickname would go away forever in that case also.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about with the "slam against ND" statement. I've been a resident for most of my life and my family was here before there was a North Dakota. I do everything I can to protect the state. Helping UND retire the nickname is another way to protect a major North Dakota asset. Of course it's hard to understand what point you're trying to make most of the time.

You do realize that if anything happens to UND athletics your beloved nickname is a casualty, don't you? The nickname would go away forever in that case also.

I believe he was referencing my post about UND being in the same conference as Minot, Crookston, and UMary. It wasn't a slam against ND, it was a statement that UND should be associating itself with comparable schools. Other than geography (and in Minot's case the NDUS), UND has little in common with these small schools.

No one has - But in this case I'm not wrong & it is sad your effort to lead folks to believe all the Fear

Vote no - then if it happens (all your Fear) have your own referal vote to remove the name once & for all

I'd say after a few years a vast majority will say - SURE Glad we held strong on the name

It seems like you are starting to see the writing on the wall and have now gone into full blown denial mode which is including ranting and ravings that are more nonsensical than normal.

And after a few years the vast majority will say "Sure glad we don't have to deal with that nickname fiasco anymore."

I believe he was referencing my post about UND being in the same conference as Minot, Crookston, and UMary. It wasn't a slam against ND, it was a statement that UND should be associating itself with comparable schools. Other than geography (and in Minot's case the NDUS), UND has little in common with these small schools.

I didn't get that at all from your post. He was the one suggesting that UND should have stayed in D2, and if they had they would have been competing against those schools. You're right, UND should be competing against schools more their own size and mission. But even if they had stayed in D2 UND would have had to deal with the NCAA and its Native American nickname policy.

Lets play a little

Most of ND Hates eastern ND (Always have) if they don't hate they really dislike or could care less about it

In 10 to 20 yrs Bismarck & Minot are going to be bigger & wealthier than GF - Maybe even Dickinson & Williston

Not just the oil Rich but the high paying Jobs that could last 30 40 or more yrs

Farming & Beets are not going to keep pace

For sometime it will be envy like GF has with fargo - But you have no idea how the tide is going to change

Lets play a little

Most of ND Hates eastern ND (Always have) if they don't hate they really dislike or could care less about it

In 10 to 20 yrs Bismarck & Minot are going to be bigger & wealthier than GF - Maybe even Dickinson & Williston

Not just the oil Rich but the high paying Jobs that could last 30 40 or more yrs

For sometime it will be envy like GF has with fargo - But you have no idea how the tide is going to change

Those are fine thoughts and theories (that I'm sure are quite as relevant as the price of tea in China to this discussion), but I live in a world where UND is under sanctions here and now. That needs to be dealt with here and now.

Just because western ND will finally have $$ doesn't mean eastern ND will no longer make any $$. ND's economy is currently in one of those great situations where the entire state can make $$. Oh, and Bismarck is already a lot bigger than Grand Forks, it just doesn't seem like it because the people of Bismarck are so backwards.

Lets play a little

East versus West has always been an issue in North Dakota. But UND and NDSU belong to all of the state. They are ASSETS for the entire state. It would be stupid for people in the West to try and destroy either school. That would be about as smart as the people in the East trying to destroy Medora or the oil fields. Only petty little people would think like that. Fortunately, I believe that the people of North Dakota see that. But this is another piece of garbage that you want to throw against the wall because you don't have any facts on your side, only your feelings about the issue.

The nickname issue is totally separate from the East versus West issue. It is a matter of how much people know about the issue. My experience has been that if people learn the facts about the issue, most of them realize that changing the nickname is best for the entire state. The deciding factor will be whether enough people take the time to understand the entire issue or whether they will make an emotional decision based on the old "outside interests versus North Dakota" theory.

If the state grows as predicted, what guarantee is there that today's demographics will be tomorrow's demographics? Someone's making some big assumptions about the future.

Sanctions are here and now.

Ten to fifteen years ago the entire state was scrambling. North Dakota was cutting budgets because the state didn't have much money. Now the entire state is doing well. Fetch making a prediction about the economic conditions in the future is about as reliable as... Fetch making predictions about the effect of sanctions on UND athletics. There are no guarantees for any of the industries in North Dakota, on either end of the state. There are too many variables and outside influences. North Dakota needs to work together for everyone's best interest and take advantage of the opportunities while they are here. The state doesn't need the petty in-fighting that Fetch seems to specialize in.

You need to take a trip out west & see & ask how folks feel - as the population shifts & $$$ things are going to change you can bet on it

A lot of the people coming in to work in the oil industry are not permanent residents at this point. They may or may not stay. The entire area is in a state of flux. Things are going to change, but I'm not going to trust your take on the long term situation. I have other people I know living in the area that give me information I trust.

Ask someone who's lived in north Grand Forks, Devils Lake, or Wahpeton less than 10 years what the moniker of the local high school is.

You'll hear "Knights", "Firebirds", or "Huskies". They've never heard of "Redskins", "Satans", or "Wops".

That's also what the influx of people in the west will bring.

These jobs pay around 100K & the drilling & service work are here to stay in our lifetime - Housing & Cities will catch up - & there is 3 known formations only one barely being touched