SiouxSports.com Forum

Is Kurt Zellers UND's worst alumni?!?!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived out in Los Angeles (hence name) and personaly any team that goes to LA will fail. They follow winners and that is it. How many teams have tried and not survived there? 3? 4?

Traffic in LA is some of the worst in the country. I can't imagine people trying to get to a 60,000 - 80,000 seat stadium at roughly the same time. One time I had to drive to Orange County for Twins at Angeles game. First time trying this and mapquest said about 45 minutes. 3 hours later I was at the game. There is the reason the 405 is called a parking lot. I've flown in overnight and been in a traffic jam on a 8 lane freeway in wee hours of the morning.

Lived out in Los Angeles (hence name) and personaly any team that goes to LA will fail. They follow winners and that is it. How many teams have tried and not survived there? 3? 4?

Traffic in LA is some of the worst in the country. I can't imagine people trying to get to a 60,000 - 80,000 seat stadium at roughly the same time. One time I had to drive to Orange County for Twins at Angeles game. First time trying this and mapquest said about 45 minutes. 3 hours later I was at the game. There is the reason the 405 is called a parking lot. I've flown in overnight and been in a traffic jam on a 8 lane freeway in wee hours of the morning.

That is crazy! I cannot even imagine that much traffic!

It is ridiculous, we were at Disneyland one time and were going to drive back to Las Vegas where we had to fly out of the next morning, so about 2:00 we decided to leave so we could beat the afternoon traffic out of town...didn't work out that way, still took an hour and a half to get free of the city, at supposedly the "slow" time of the day. I think the term "road rage" was probably coined in LA.

Nice name choice by the way Smoggy, the first time we approached LA from the desert side one of my kids looked ahead and said "Is it foggy there?" Not quite.

Nice name choice by the way Smoggy, the first time we approached LA from the desert side one of my kids looked ahead and said "Is it foggy there?" Not quite.

I used to live in San Bernardino. One of the last "suburbs" but like 60 miles east of LA but where the 10 east goes to Phoenix and the 15 heads north to Vegas. It's also where the mountains have a kink so it traps all the smog. Some days I couldn't see the next stoplight it was so thck. And the rule of thumb was if you hit snooze once add about an hour to your drive.

Vikings stadium plan clears Minnesota House......

http://news.bostonhe...position=recent

........and once again, Ziggy's favorite mouthpiece (Lester Bagley) is not happy:

In one pivotal change however the House voted overwhelmingly to boost the Vikings’ contribution to the nearly $1 billion stadium, upping the team’s share from $427 million to $532 million. The change, which would lower the state’s share to $293 million, may not survive further legislative negotiating this week and was opposed by the Vikings.

"That particular amendment is not workable," Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley said. "(But) I don’t want to take away from the moment."

Bagley — notably — did not say the team would reject the overall proposal should the provision remain.

Now it's on to the Senate.

The Senate approves the Vikings stadium plan......with more of the burden shifted onto the Vikings.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-09/Minnesota-Senate-approves-stadium-bill/54847396/1

"The Vikings didn't get whatever they wanted," said GOP Sen. Julie Rosen, the bill's chief sponsor. She said the team will have to come up with more to come away successful.

Following Tuesday night's Senate vote, Bagley said the team is still standing by the amount it pledged earlier, but he acknowledged the final package is "to be determined."

"It has to be a package deal and a negotiation that works for all parties — the Vikings, the state, the city," he said.

Now it's on to conference committee.

It looks like fans of the Minnesota Vikings (like myself) can breathe easier:

The Minnesota Vikings moved to within a governor's signature of getting a new $975 million stadium on Thursday after the state Senate approved a plan that relies heavily on public financing.

Gov. Mark Dayton has said he'll sign the measure, meaning the Senate's 36-30 vote was effectively the final barrier for the stadium. The House passed it overnight.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/minn-vikings-vote-stadium-16317178

It looks like fans of the Minnesota Vikings (like myself) can breathe easier:

http://abcnews.go.co...tadium-16317178

They still have to get another approval from the Minneapolis City Council. The last vote was 7-6 in favor. I don't think it should be a problem, but you never know. That is supposed to come within the next 30 days.

I would be surprised if the City Council did not approve this deal.. the Target Center got a difference source for funding. It is no longer on the backs of MSP property owners and it is going to be shifted toward an existing MSP Hospitality sales tax. This sales tax was authorized by the State for the City of MSP to use for the Metrodome and Civic Center and is set to expire 2020 (I think? - plus I am sure that it has been extented indefinitely). The State controlled how this sale tax was used. The State is now giving the City of MSP control over this sales tax. This is a big deal for the City of MSP.

I would be surprised if the City Council did not approve this deal.. the Target Center got a difference source for funding. It is no longer on the backs of MSP property owners and it is going to be shifted toward an existing MSP Hospitality sales tax. This sales tax was authorized by the State for the City of MSP to use for the Metrodome and Civic Center and is set to expire 2020 (I think? - plus I am sure that it has been extented indefinitely). The State controlled how this sale tax was used. The State is now giving the City of MSP control over this sales tax. This is a big deal for the City of MSP.

I agree. But when the last vote was 7-6 it would only take 1 person changing their mind to screw it up. I won't totally believe it until all of the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

I agree. But when the last vote was 7-6 it would only take 1 person changing their mind to screw it up. I won't totally believe it until all of the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

You are correct, anything could happen. But, when you have the last name of Taylor (Glen and $130 million upgrade) and Dayton (Governor) in Minnesota you tend to get what you want. I suspect the vote could be greater in favor as council member line up at the trough. They won't get it until next session but it will be delivered - as they say in football recruiting - where do you want the double wide delivered and what color is the TransAm. Sorry, I just watched the SMU story on ESPN the other night.

Gambling and hospitality funded. Could have been better with the legalization and taxation of prostitution and weed.

You are correct, anything could happen. But, when you have the last name of Taylor (Glen and $130 million upgrade) and Dayton (Governor) in Minnesota you tend to get what you want. I suspect the vote could be greater in favor as council member line up at the trough. They won't get it until next session but it will be delivered - as they say in football recruiting - where do you want the double wide delivered and what color is the TransAm. Sorry, I just watched the SMU story on ESPN the other night.

I understand the public corruption investigation has already begun.

I am not saying that I like it - not a big fan of the current "Sports Economics" system. Owners and players are some of the biggest welfare recipients in the state.

"Just". Can't wait to see my share of Rybak's promised property tax reduction...

I feel your pain.. I have to look at the TIF for MOA and see if they got another 20 year exemption... Bloomington pays for MOA and the rest of the state gets the benefits.

Aren't corruption investigations on going.... nice run the last several years for the MSP City Council.

In July 2001, Brian Herron (DFL) pleaded guilty to one count of felony extortion. He admitted to accepting a $10,000 bribe from a business owner who faced numerous health and safety inspections violations. Herron served a one year sentence in federal prison.

On November 21, 2002 10 year Council Member Joe Biernat (DFL) was convicted of five federal felony charges, one count of embezzlement, three counts of mail fraud, and one count of making a false statement. Biernat was found not guilty on extortion and conspiracy to extort charges.

In September 2005 Green Party Council Member Dean Zimmermann was served with a federal search warrant to his home by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The affidavit attached to the warrant revealed that the FBI has Zimmermann on video and audiotape accepting bribes for a zoning change. Zimmermann subsequently lost his re-election campaign, and was convicted in federal court on three counts of accepting cash from a developer and found not guilty of soliciting property from people with business with the city. Zimmermann was released from prison in July 2008.

In 2009, council president Barbara Johnson was accused of misusing campaign funds for personal spending. An administrative hearing was held January 26, 2010, which could have charged her with a civil violation or recommend criminal charges. The administrative judges at the hearing dismissed 6 of the 8 charges against her, and upheld 2 (AAA services were paid for both her & her husband's vehicle, and not all charges for hairstyling & dry cleaning were reasonably related to the campaign). She paid a $200 fine for these violations.