SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible Offensive Philosophy Change?

UND-FB-FAN

Possible Offensive Philosophy Change?

Is it possible we might be seeing an offensive philosophy change our first year in the Big Sky? I want to add this is merely speculation, but I think there are some interesting correlations.

First off, we all know the emphasis we put on tall, athletic wide receivers this past recruiting season, and Mussman made no mistake to mention the Big Sky is a wide-open league which requires such athletes. Thus, after the previous couple recruiting classes the resulting roster is full of potential QB and WR talent. To such a point where this season’s WR corps may just be the best ever in UND football history. Not too bad of a thing going into our inaugural Big Sky season. Recruits of this category from the previous two recruiting classes include: Romon Bridges (WR), Jameer Jackson (WR), Casey Young (WR), Joe Mollberg (QB), Braden Hanson (transfer-QB), Ryan Bartels (QB), Kenny Golladay (WR), Anthony Fletcher (WR), and Zach Oliver (WR). If I didn’t know better, I’d say something is staring right at us.

After looking briefly at the first couple spring practices, there has been a lot of throwing out of the gun. To the point where it has made me wonder: “Are we in store for an ‘air-raid’ this fall?” Now, of course the first two practices were not full pads so little work can be done running the ball, but I still have my inclinations. Not looking at what the coaches are planning for the future by examining the recent recruiting classes, but rather by looking at the current roster, I see a Sr. FBS-transfer QB and a returning starter, several experienced receivers (Hardin, McGill, Ivery, and Townsend), along with emerging talent (Jackson and Young). We may all just be in store for something exciting.

We all know what Mussman was able to put together in terms of throwing the ball back during the days of Weston Dressler and Brady Trenbeath. So, my theory concludes with the possibility of us seeing the ball travel through the air a lot the next few seasons. Considering what Mussman also thinks the Big Sky is all about offensively (he has most certainly implied this) and our personnel situation, we may all be in store for some aerial football. How exciting!

Very interesting to say the least as it makes total sense given the current additions; or at least we are now fully equipped to let the ball fly a bit more. Do me a favor and keep going to the practices and report back your findings. I really wish there was more in depth video coverage of spring ball so us armchair qb's can weigh in! Thanks for the in depth post btw.

I think Mussman's resume as OC proves that he prefers to chuck it around. The cupboard has just been a little bare talent-wise at some key skill positions since Freund and Trenbeath graduated.

Bamba was exciting, but by all accounts was a basket-case. Other than Hardin in 2010, there hasn't been real impressive play at the QB or WR position since 2008.

I think Mussman's resume as OC proves that he prefers to chuck it around. The cupboard has just been a little bare talent-wise at some key skill positions since Freund and Trenbeath graduated.

Bamba was exciting, but by all accounts was a basket-case. Other than Hardin in 2010, there hasn't been real impressive play at the QB or WR position since 2008.

Speaking of Bamba, did he surface anywhere interesting and did he garner any serious Pro attention or is he washing dishes in Quebec somewhere?

Agree with Sic.

Run the ball on offense. Stop the run on defense.

Sprinkle in an efficient passing game when needed on offense. Bend but don't break against the pass on defense.

Win the special teams battle.

This formula is PROVEN to be successful against Big Sky teams.

• Upvote 1

Winning football offense:

Pound. Pound. Pound. Over the top. Smile. Repeat.

If UND goes to some Air-Raid crap I'd imagine it is a mistake. Almost everyone in the BIg Sky chucks it around. Someone needs to be the Ground-N-Pound. Plus you can pound the rock in the rain, in the wind, in the snow, in a dome. Air-Raid crap is annoying and soft. Run the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

If UND goes to some Air-Raid crap I'd imagine it is a mistake. Almost everyone in the BIg Sky chucks it around. Someone needs to be the Ground-N-Pound. Plus you can pound the rock in the rain, in the wind, in the snow, in a dome. Air-Raid crap is annoying and soft. Run the ball.

Good point. The Big Sky has been trending to a more pro-style look for a while. It seems this area produces a lot of great O and D linemen which kind of reflects the philosophy of UND, NDSU, SDSU ect.