SiouxSports.com Forum

Nice fan

WPoS

Time flies when it's back to back.

I suppose it does. The Sioux were also in back to back championship games in 2000 and 2001 and an OT away from back to back. Plus, the Sioux won it in 1997, 1987, 1982 and 1980, not to mention league titles in 98 and 99. Meanwhile, the Rodents didn't win since 1979. Time must have crawled for you then, huh?. Time must REALLY crawl this year when you are 4-7-1 in the WCHA, 7-8-1 overall and you know in your heart that your hated rival is back in front after a mere 2 year hiatus. The truth hurts, doesn't it? :blush:

Whether you live in the past or the present, the Sioux beat the Rodents. Meanwhile, the Rodents truly are: BACK TO BACK TO BAD. :silly:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Whether you live in the past or the present, the Sioux beat the Rodents.

</snip>

Unless of course it is all time head-to-head, or for the National Championship right?

:silly:

Like it or not the two programs are so similar now it is scary. They both have hard a__ed coaches who both know what it takes and will what it takes to put their team in contention for the title year after year. They are recruiting the same type of players and often the same player.

The one thing that you can take to the bank is that no Frozen Four will go without at least one of these teams for quite a while.

I suppose it does. The Sioux were also in back to back championship games in 2000 and 2001 and an OT away from back to back. Plus, the Sioux won it in 1997, 1987, 1982 and 1980, not to mention league titles in 98 and 99. Meanwhile, the Rodents didn't win since 1979. Time must have crawled for you then, huh?. Time must REALLY crawl this year when you are 4-7-1 in the WCHA, 7-8-1 overall and you know in your heart that your hated rival is back in front after a mere 2 year hiatus. The truth hurts, doesn't it? :love:

Whether you live in the past or the present, the Sioux beat the Rodents. Meanwhile, the Rodents truly are: BACK TO BACK TO BAD. :blush:

yah real tough... :silly:

WCHA Tournament Champions

1970, 1975, 1981, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996

WIHL Champions

1953, 1954

Big 10 Champions

59-60,62-63, 64-65, 65-66, 69-70, 73-74, 74-75, 78-79, 79-80, 80-81

NCAA Runners Up

1953, 1954, 1971, 1975, 1981, 1989

NCAA Champions

1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

WPoS

sagard

I couldn't agree with you more. As much as fans from both teams would like to think one team is far superior than the other one, it is really the opposite. they are both very similar

Isn't the opposite of superior inferior? And, if something has an opposite, that opposite isn't likely to be similar so I am not sure what you are saying???

What is similar to both programs is the number of national championship game appearances - 11, what is most definitely not similar is 6 losses for the Gophers and 7 wins for the Sioux.

If the Gophers had more titles than UND, God forbid, their fans would be saying the same thing we are saying now. They would not be willing to agree that our programs were similar. They think we are similar and they have two less titles; they thought we were similar in 2001 when they had four less titles, but I guarantee if they had one more title, our programs would be considered very dissimilar and ours much inferior.

Isn't the opposite of superior inferior? And, if something has an opposite, that opposite isn't likely to be similar so I am not sure what you are saying???

What is similar to both programs is the number of national championship game appearances - 11, what is most definitely not similar is 6 losses for the Gophers and 7 wins for the Sioux.

If the Gophers had more titles than UND, God forbid, their fans would be saying the same thing we are saying now. They would not be willing to agree that our programs were similar. They think we are similar and they have two less titles; they thought we were similar in 2001 when they had four less titles, but I guarantee if they had one more title, our programs would be considered very dissimilar and ours much inferior.

If you read the post, it means that most fans feel there is a big gap making one team far superior, but that gap is really small.

Many (maybe most) Gophers fans consider the Gophers far superior to the Sioux now, despite the Gophers being recently swept, despite the Sioux being at the top of the polls, despite the titles, etc... More titles than the Sioux wouldn't really change that much.

Even if the Gophers won the next three NCAA titles and took an eight to seven title lead, there would be Sioux fans that would say "Sure they are great now, but over the long haul I still like the Sioux." They would have a valid point, as do current Gopher fans who point to pre-NCAA titles from before the Sioux even started playing.

What I'd like to see is a decade of multiple WCHA teams in the Frozen Four. Of course I'd like to see the Gophers catch Michigans nine titles as well. :silly:

Many (maybe most) Gophers fans consider the Gophers far superior to the Sioux now, despite the Gophers being recently swept, despite the Sioux being at the top of the polls, despite the titles, etc... More titles than the Sioux wouldn't really change that much.

Even if the Gophers won the next three NCAA titles and took an eight to seven title lead, there would be Sioux fans that would say "Sure they are great now, but over the long haul I still like the Sioux." They would have a valid point, as do current Gopher fans who point to pre-NCAA titles from before the Sioux even started playing.

What I'd like to see is a decade of multiple WCHA teams in the Frozen Four. Of course I'd like to see the Gophers catch Michigans nine titles as well. :blush:

Spin it however you like. The Sioux have 7 titles, the Gophers 5. They also have 5 since 1980. The Gophers have 3. If you want to compare even since 1997, which is about the past 6 years, the Sioux and the Gophers each have 2 titles. However, the Sioux have 4 WCHA titles and 2 WCHA tournament titles, the Gophers 1 WCHA title and 1 WCHA tournament title.

How about head to head?

1996-97--The Sioux win 3-2

1997-98--The Sioux win 3-1

1998-99--The Sioux win 4-0-1

1999-00--The Sioux win 2-1-1

2000-01--The Sioux win 2-1-1

2001-02--The Gophers win 6-1

2002-03--The teams split 1-1

2003-04--The Sioux lead 2-0

The "many" Gopher fans who truly believe that the Gophers are "superior" are in denial and do not let the facts get in the way of their unsubstantiated beliefs. The Sioux had their down year in 2001, mostly because the pros decimated their team. This year is more reflective of the Sioux.

By the way, which team has turned out more NHL players, now and over the past 20 years? :silly:

sagard is right...Sioux fans will always say "7>5" (until it changes to 8>5 :blush: )...and Gopher fans will always respond with "back to back, biatch"

It's like The Song that never ends....

This is the song that never eeeeends, yes it goes on and on my friiiieeeend...some people started singin' it not knowing........why do I know this? :silly: