SiouxSports.com Forum

Nice fan

WPoS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I can't wait for the Sioux/Gopher series in Minneapolis this year. Ever since Jason Blake put one in backwards in the first minute of a friday game back in the 1999 season - it is has been such a pleasure taking the Mariucci crowd noise level down to a whisper.

That goal was one of the greatest scored by a sioux player against the gophers. It was definitely a gem.

BTW, are we planning a Sioux vs. POI game for the weekend series in the cities???

I doubt it...since it has been so hard to get ice to fill up to play the JBSU guys even I doubt there would be enuf interest this year to bring a quality sqaud to play your guys like last year...unless they wanted poor player to beat up on like me...

WPoS

Do you know why Gopher fans are disliked?

a.) They can't act like they have been there before (see Rioting!)

b.) Absolutely classless (I guess I have had the misfortune of being seating next to some bad Gopher fans)

c.) They show no respect for arguably the greatest program/tradition in college hockey - UND. (That doesn't mean you have to like them - just respect the accomplishments).

I won't even mention Goldy or that gay cheer...

Obviously, college hockey rivalries tend to polarize people, and make it into a we/they situation. To say that Gopher fans are disliked is rather far-reaching. Perhaps what you meant is that YOU don't like them. The rioting was an embarrassment to the school and the program, yes. This cannot, however, be taken to mean that all Gopher fans are jerks. Or even that MOST are. The few that you have had close contact with may have been. Point "C" is absolutely laughable. Your arguement defeats itself. You demand respect for your program, after showing blatant disrespect for another program. ALL participant programs in the WCHA and college hockey deserve equal resepct...regardless of something as subjective as "mystique, tradition...yadda yadda yadda". You have a very trite, narrow, UND-centric view of the world, my friend.

As for the cheer...you obviously were not at the 2002 Frozen Four. 18,000 people doing that chant is a very powerful thing. Goldy can be comical...but I ignore him for the most part.

The one image I can't get out of my head is just about every Gopher fan rooting against UND during the 2000 title. I had the pleasure of meeting some Bucky fans (did I just state that?) and they were rooting for us all the way. They even gave me beer, but what else is new with them. I realize that we often don't root for our bigtime rivals, but I've always been about the WCHA and the Gophers consider Wisconsin their big rival. I lost a lot of respect that night and I realize this incident doesn't speak for every fan. I've just found that a lot of the Gopher fans I run into are very arrogant and do nothing but look down at other teams.

Just had to get that off my chest. I've had some bad experiences with Gopher fans. I've always tried to watch/analyze games with a referee's eyes and I do realize that there are Gopher fans that do the same. I just must meet the wrong ones.

Just had to add that the weirdest thing I've witnessed at a Gopher game at Mariucci was a couple of years ago during the Final Five. Hauser decided to grab on to one of the Sioux forwards legs and pick him up. Most Gopher fans in the arena started screaming for a penalty on the Sioux forward. I'm sure our crowd has done some of the same things. All you can do is shake your head in disbelief.

18,000 people chanting M-I-N-N etc for the Gophers after a score is not powerful - again see kindergarten spelling lesson. Moronic and gay.

This is a Sioux forum - of course I'm being pro-Sioux - I'm on our home court. Suggest you visit the Gopher forum to post your pro-Gopher material otherwise get used to reading it in this forum.

I have yet to meet a Gopher fan who respects the fact that UND is a far more successful hockey program than the Gophers. Getting to the point that all you hear from the mouth of a Gopher hockey fan is "Sioux suck". Baseless.

I will change my mind about Gopher fans acting like they have been there before if and when Sioux fans ever riot after a National Championship. I doubt that will ever happen. See - too much class.

That goal was one of the greatest scored by a sioux player against the gophers. It was definitely a gem.

Agreed....One of the greatest I have seen and on the road in Minnesota made it even better. I remember the crowd at Mariucci taunting Blake during the warm-up skate and he comes out within 90 seconds and scores arguablly one of the sweetest goals of the entire season if not his career. I still remember after the score that arena was so quiet you could hear the rats crawling around upstairs.

I will change my mind about Gopher fans acting like they have been there before if and when Sioux fans ever riot after a National Championship. I doubt that will ever happen. See - too much class.

Sioux fans won't riot because it will be 10 below and still be 4 feet of snow in GF on April 12th, 2018.

:silly:

Everyone has idiot fans, the Gophs had far and away the most this summer, but most of them have dropped due to the slow start. Be careful, a couple more wins and siouxrock will return!

BTW, are we planning a Sioux vs. POI game for the weekend series in the cities???

We were supposed to get home ice this year! Didn't happen obviously. Maybe if we can arrange it during the Final Five again, more Sioux players will show up. If the teams have even numbers, it would be like having a 5x3 though since the Sioux nearly won the game with 7 players vs. 10. :silly::blush:

18,000 people chanting M-I-N-N etc for the Gophers after a score is not powerful - again see kindergarten spelling lesson. Moronic and gay.

This is a Sioux forum - of course I'm being pro-Sioux - I'm on our home court. Suggest you visit the Gopher forum to post your pro-Gopher material otherwise get used to reading it in this forum.

I have yet to meet a Gopher fan who respects the fact that UND is a far more successful hockey program than the Gophers. Getting to the point that all you hear from the mouth of a Gopher hockey fan is "Sioux suck". Baseless.

"fans" like this child are the reason UND fans have a bad name in Mpls...odd, about 90% of its posts are on this thread slamming the Gophers, and me...they need to get over their issues with opponents and other quality programs vying for headlines...I won't even argue which program is more succesful, if it knew what it was talking about, it would know the Sioux and Gophers are pretty much neck-n-neck in most repescts of "succes". :silly:

Forecheck, I can aska round to see if anyone is interested...but I doubt it...POI hockey has been prett empty lately. :blush::love:

WPoS