SiouxSports.com Forum

Celebrate THE BEST MEN'S COLLEGE BB TEAM IN NORTH DAKOTA

CMSioux

No doubt UND has the best college men's basketball team in North Dakota (women's team too but that's a different thread). Let's focus on what went right!

Who is your MVP?

Who is your biggest surprise of the year?

How would you describe this team?

Whatever else comes to mind...

MVP-Troy Huff, only because of his rebound efforts and defensive efforts, not to mention his scoring. ALSO, Pat Mitchell. His shooting and blocking abilities carried us, along with big time buzzer beaters!!!

Most surprising- Antwi. He played exceptionally well the second half of the season, good back up for the next 2 years.

No doubt UND has the best college men's basketball team in North Dakota (women's team too but that's a different thread). Let's focus on what went right!

Who is your MVP?

MVP- Based on numbers and consistancy I would have to give the nod to Anderson. He shot great percentages from all areas and has a good assist to turnover ratio.

Biggest surprise of the year. Beating Montana, SDSU and NDSU. Looking at the schedule did not see beating all three.

How would I describe this team. GREAT at home and HORRIBLE on the road. The road woes need to improve in a hurry.

Alot of talent on this team but it needs better chemistry and descipline. In order to compete in the Big Sky next year we need to sharpen up our team play in all areas. I still dont see much inside out game at all. The most alarming stat is Wilmer has 31 turnovers and 0 assists. Brekke and other inside guys are not much better. That is plan horrible. Also, we need a healthy Goodman. He can be very valuable to this team in so many ways and we need him. Also, need some size as everyone is aware.

according to sagarin

158 North Dakota State = 73.75 16 13 70.75( 238) 0 0 | 0 0 | 72.64 171 | 73.92 153

265 North Dakota = 66.31 13 14 67.59( 326) 0 2 | 0 2 | 67.34 253 | 65.92 269

NDSU won more games against better competition, aka the better team and better season. NDSU actually won 4 more games than UND, but for whatever reason the bracketbuster game doesn't show on sagarins calculations.

one game means jack against an entire season, and you have to be brain dead to think otherwise.

UND MBB showed alot of improvement this year, and beat two tourney teams, and a decent NDSU team.

• Upvote 1

according to sagarin

158 North Dakota State = 73.75 16 13 70.75( 238) 0 0 | 0 0 | 72.64 171 | 73.92 153

NDSU won more games against better competition, aka the better team and better season. NDSU actually won 4 more games than UND, but for whatever reason the bracketbuster game doesn't show on sagarins calculations.

one game means jack against an entire season, and you have to be brain dead to think otherwise.

UND MBB showed alot of improvement this year, and beat two tourney teams, and a decent NDSU team.

More games against better competition? Yes, UND had a weaker schedule and that is part of the reason why their Sagarin ratings are so low, but:

UND went 2-3 against teams in the NCAA tournament (SDSU, Montana / SDSU, Kansas, New Mexico).

If I'm not mistaken NDSU was 0-2 against teams in the NCAA tournament (SDSU x2).

NDSU was terrible after their loss to UND. The players weren't even around Fargo to practice this week, a couple of them are meeting the rest of the team on the way to Wyoming. No one expected them to get an invite to any kind of tournament, including the players and coaches.

• Upvote 1

according to sagarin

No matter how many excuses you try and come up with.........59>54

• Upvote 4

Who is your MVP?

it's arguable but there's no way you can say no doubt

The most important stat, when comparing one team to another directly, is head to head records....and not a computer ranking.

not always. would you say indiana is better than kentucky? davidson better than kansas? und better than sdsu? oklahoma state better than missouri?

Who is your MVP?

Aaron Anderson. Great all around player. Good shooter, smart with the ball, makes free-throws, makes clutch shots, etc. IMO there is no better ball player in North Dakota right now.

Lenny Antwi. Considering the log-jam at the guard position, I didn't expect Antwi would be a significant contributor until sometime several years down the road. He was a key player over the last month as a reserve. He looks to be a good shooter and good ball-handler.

Terribly inconsistent and frustrating. Lots of talent but undisciplined.

This team gives us fans lots to be excited about, but at the same time makes us pull our hair out. They beat some excellent teams this year, and they also lost to some very poor teams this year.

it's arguable but there's no way you can say no doubt

I think North Dakota and NDSU are in about the same place as far as basketball goes. If they played 10 times, I think each team would probably win 5 games. I'll say that North Dakota was better this year given that we beat Montana, SDSU, Utah Valley, and NDSU..................all of whom are in some sort of post season tournament.

IMO, as long as both schools can remain competitive in their respective leagues, an annual North Dakota-NDSU basketball game has the potential to become the biggest sporting event in the state since we won't be playing the Gophers in hockey or the Bison in football anytime in the near future............

you dont pay much attention to college hoops then

Honestly, more of a hockey guy.

But, I did see this game this year via video stream. Seems the University of North Dakota defeated NDSU in basketball. Their only head to head game. Therefore, on the court UND is proven the superior team. On paper...who cares?

BTW, UND also leads in the overall series in basketball against NDSU. As well as football.

Why?

Because my school is the flagship university in the state of North Dakota.

Like Phil Jackson said, "I did pretty good for a guy from a hockey school!" Well, now do what you do best. Go look for those udders on that tractor!

Make yourself useful. :lol:

....................we beat Montana, SDSU, Utah Valley, and NDSU..................all of whom are in some sort of post season tournament.

Sorry to quote myself, but is it just me or is DI basketball becoming more and more like FBS football? It seems like anybody that finishes with a winning record has a decent chance to play a "post-season" game.........................................

Sorry to quote myself, but is it just me or is DI basketball becoming more and more like FBS football? It seems like anybody that finishes with a winning record has a decent chance to play a "post-season" game.........................................

So many different options too. It's a bit confusing. I assumed that NDSU and Wyoming were playing in the NIT. I could see the Pokes squeaking into it, but no the Bison. Then, I found out it was something called the CBI? I only knew the CIT existed because of UND playing Air Force last year.

It is getting silly. Maybe the NCAA should just expand it to all schools? No more fighting over who should get in and who shouldn't. They can all split the $$$. Only problem will be the fight over seeding and the location of the games.

I think North Dakota and NDSU are in about the same place as far as basketball goes. If they played 10 times, I think each team would probably win 5 games. I'll say that North Dakota was better this year given that we beat Montana, SDSU, Utah Valley, and NDSU..................all of whom are in some sort of post season tournament.

IMO, as long as both schools can remain competitive in their respective leagues, an annual North Dakota-NDSU basketball game has the potential to become the biggest sporting event in the state since we won't be playing the Gophers in hockey or the Bison in football anytime in the near future............

i can agree with that. good points

So once again a thread about a UND team on a UND Fan Board is polluted by fans from a school that just can't stop comparing themselves to UND. Mooove on.

Here's the latest discussion from the land of perpetual comparisions - CBI>CIT.