SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ LA TECH

bincitysioux

BEING IN THE MIDST OF A 6 GAME ROAD TRIP IS TOUGH. BUT NEXT SEASON WE BETTER START WINNING SOME OF THESE CLOSE ROAD GAMES WITH A MORE NORMAL SCHEDULE.

Just a brutal road stretch for the second month of the last 3. We obviously played a very good defensive game but struggled shooting the ball. Only a couple players shot the ball well tonight.

This is so consistently pathetic. They lead games for 37 minutes then cough them up. At some point somebody needs to get some balls on that team and take over the game. Good teams have the ball in their best players hands damn near every possession in the last 2-3 minutes. I have never seen a team with less guts than this one.

Jones' road winning percentage is amazingly consistent:

.208 (5-19)--first two years (dII)

.203 (11-43)--transition years

.205 (16-62)--overall

It's kind of the college basketball equivalent of the "Mendoza line". :sad:

Road record is definately not good. In fact most mid major teams do not fare that well on the road but not to this extent. Dont know what other teams do but from what I understand we generally travel all day the day before the game. Its usually 2-3 connections and layovers in each one. On game day there is a lot of sitting around in the motel room doing nothing. The day after the first game on the road trip the same thing happens, travel almost all day. Dont know what the answer is but what is being done now does not seem to work. Maybe it is youth but all our key players have at least 50+ games under their belts. Maybe next year.

I give Jones 1 year in the BSC. If the team does this next year...fire him. You need to win on the road. Maybe a normal schedule is what this team needs.

Its always tough to win on the road being a low mid major. A normal schedule has got to help and hopefully a few more bigs for next year. When Brekke gets into foul trouble like last night we are in trouble and next year Brekke will face guys bigger than him in every league game just like last night. It didn't help that we shot so poorly last night from alot of our key players and the coach cant help us there, but he can discipline what shots are taken by what players.

Its always tough to win on the road being a low mid major. A normal schedule has got to help and hopefully a few more bigs for next year. When Brekke gets into foul trouble like last night we are in trouble and next year Brekke will face guys bigger than him in every league game just like last night. It didn't help that we shot so poorly last night from alot of our key players and the coach cant help us there, but he can discipline what shots are taken by what players.

Thats why I wouldn't fire him after this season. An Independant conference (which we basically are in) is not a good measure where this team is at. So I would wait to see what we do next season when we play a more constant schedule with hopefully no more than 1 NAIA/DII team if any that way we stay consistant, plus if we start winning on the road and can challenge for the BSC title it gives the kids more to play for. Who wouldn't want a shot at the dance.

I always hope for "win at home, 0.500 on the road" for all the teams. There's some work to be done on that.

We are 1-13 with 1 game left. If we could be 8-7 after this year this team could be a real talker among BSC teams for next year..now it looks like we could be labled a cupcake.

I realize this has all been discussed before fairly extensively, but now with the season nearly over and either a 1-14 or 2-13 road record, I have two questions for bball fans:

1. Realistically, minus Mitchell is the current roster capable of doing much better than this next season?

2. If you answered "no" to #1, what would you do if you were Jones, knowing full well that a .205 road winning percentage may put you on thin ice, and no available scholarships barring some difficult and potentially unpopular decisions?

I realize this has all been discussed before fairly extensively, but now with the season nearly over and either a 1-14 or 2-13 road record, I have two questions for bball fans:

1. Realistically, minus Mitchell is the current roster capable of doing much better than this next season?

2. If you answered "no" to #1, what would you do if you were Jones, knowing full well that a .205 road winning percentage may put you on thin ice, and no available scholarships barring some difficult and potentially unpopular decisions?

I have brought up this exact same scenario and without Mitchell and no one new we are in trouble. As hard as its going to be, scholarships must be cut before next year and some new 4 and 5 position players brought in. In order to make an immediate impact they more than likely will need to be junior college players. I'd say its too late to bring in an impact high school player this late in the recruiting process. We have a sound foundation in the sophomore class for the next 2 years but they need help. Jones has done well on recruiting being the fact we have had no shot at the NCAA nor played in a real conference. Recruiting should be easier and better in the years to come being in the Big Sky and NCAA aspirations.

I do not want to be too hard on the players, but this stat is ridiculous and is on the staff for not bringing in some size and whatever else goes on on the road. This program is in real trouble. Not sure who to blame, the kids need some help and the staff is not doing the job to do it. I guess bottom line that Jones has to go, and the sooner the better. I would not give him one more year. He has had enough time to make his case. Lots of good young BB coaches out there that would like the oppty, but is MONEY the issue?

Everyone brings up great concerns. My main concern is bringing in bigs for next year. What do u guys think? Will they in fact cut players to make room and if so, who?

If they don't cut players we are in trouble. One big question, is Goodman done? I really like watching him and thought he by far brought the most from the junior class but he has only played like 14 games (3 this year) in the past 2 years and requires another surgery. If he is done that is one scholarship. Haugen has not travelled with the team at all lately so he is definately at the top of the list if a cut is made. He has not done anything the last 2 years and like Goodman has received 4 free years of education. The other I would think would be Archer. He is the same as Haugen as far as production the last 2 years. I really truly like all the above players and they are great young men but if a cut was made I would think these 3 would be considered. It just depends on how many new players Jones wants to bring in. Its not a decision I would want to make but something has to be done to succeed in the next couple of years in the Big Sky.

I'm sure they're all nice kids, but the experience UND has had with redshirting a large group should serve as a cautionary tale to any transitioning program. If it works, like it did for NDSU with the Woodside group, it's a brilliant move. If it doesn't, it can really hamstring a program for several years because you then have basically zero margin for error with regard to recruiting. With so few available scholarships, essentially every subsequent recruit has to pan out, and quickly. It almost looked like that was going to be the case with last year's freshmen, but while talented, they aren't good enough to completely carry the load. They need some help, but have not gotten it as of yet.