SiouxSports.com Forum

Keep or Change the Sioux Nickname Poll

Uncle_Rico

Keep or change the Sioux name  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the name or changing it?

• Keep the Name
    • Change the Name

It is with great sadness that I vote for changing the nickname but I don't want harm to come to UND. I think the biggest disappointment for me is that SR didn't get to vote if they wanted to have the nickname or not. The tribal leaders stonewalled all they could and it is a real shame. Long Live Fighting Sioux.

I say for now leave it retired and go as North Dakota until the SL lawsuit has run it's course. If SL wins, I say that we reinstate the name, if SL loses I say we decide if we want a new logo/nickname or we decide if we should just stay as North Dakota. It will be a few years before the lawsuit is done and I'm sure not everyone will be ok with moving on to a new logo/nickname right away so we can just stay as North Dakota for a few years and see if eventually a name starts to stick or if we need to make a nickname. Lastly, if we become the North Dakota Flames I will lose my damn mind... I don't want to be referred to as the "flamers" by all of our rivals.

You should include a third category, "keep it only if the SL Tribe wins their lawsuit". Otherwise, I am not sure how to vote.

I would guess that almost everybody who is voting "change" means "change as long as there are sanctions associated with it". There haven't been a lot of people on this forum truly opposed to the nickname itself.

You are right there are not many. That is because they get banned.

I'm actually in a pretty good position to refute this -- no one has even been banned for taking any position on that, or any other controversial topic. The poll results above are pretty good evidence of the diversity of opinions welcome and present on this particular topic.

However, this is pretty off topic, so if you have any questions or would like to discus forum moderation policies further, please start a thread in the "administration" forum.

• Upvote 2

The recent comments by Tim O'Keefe, of the alumni association, are better late than never. I believe most of us want the nickname, but even if the state votes to keep it. It is all the unintended consequences, that I do not think UND can live with in D1 athletics. The state of ND cannot make anyone do anything, especially the NCAA as a private institution club(non profit). Its all sad, and the train is going down the track, I do not think we can stop it

It still boggles my mind how the NCAA can be such a hypocritical organization that gets away with so much $#!T.

You find the answer to this and how to resolve it and you would be suprised at how that answer would also be the solution to a lot of other over-reaching "groups" in this nation's society.

Define trying to rile people up? Is that when someone does not play by some set of rules that are not written? Or when the question the status que?

Discussions like this are really quite distracting from the conversation that most people here want to have. Let me repeat myself...

However, this is pretty off topic, so if you have any questions or would like to discus forum moderation policies further, please start a thread in the "administration" forum.