SiouxSports.com Forum

The race for the MacNaughton

jimdahl

UMD is looking vulnerable and UMN fans are starting to favor polls over the PWR, so it's no surprise...

Roman gives it to the Gophers

1. Gophers ... have a bye week and then play four at home, four away. Play at Denver (split), host Bemidji State (sweep), play at Neb. Omaha (split), host Wisconsin (sweep). ... DU is hot, but Gophers are 10-0 on Saturdays in WCHA play. Just need a split to stay in good shape. Bemidji State and Wisconsin both have one road win in conference, so Gophers have to sweep them at Mariucci. No excuses. Dean Blais will have his troops fired up in Omaha, but Gophers should be smelling a title by then and get one win. So Gophers finish 6-2 for a ...

21-7-0 record and 42 points

2. UMD ... Bulldogs have four home and six away games. They are at UAA this weekend (sweep), host North Dakota (split at

worst), at MSU Mankato (sweep), host CC (sweep), at St. Cloud State (split at worst if Huskies get healthier) ... UMD actually has a better away record (5-1-2) than home record (6-3-1) in conference games. Six away games won't bother the 'Dogs, so defending NCAA champions finish 8-2 for a ...

19-6-3 record and 41 points

If Gophers and UMD finish in a tie, with the same point totals, the WCHA will call them co-champions. That easily could happen, too.

3. Denver ... five home games, five away, starting with a home and home series with Colorado College (split). Host Gophers (split), at Wisconsin (split), host North Dakota (sweep), at Neb Omaha (split). Pios play three teams in the top six, a tough closing grind ... CC is archrival, and two teams have split two games already. Wisconsin isn't bad on home ice, 6-3-1. UNO is 5-2-1 at home so sweeping there will be hard. So DU will finish 6-4, with splits in four of its last five series and have a ...

16-9-3 and 35 points

4. Colorado College ... five home games, five away, starting with Denver (split). At Bemidji State (sweep), host Nebraska Omaha (split), at UMD (two losses), host Michigan Tech (sweep). ... CC is a solid 7-2-0 at home in the WCHA, but under .500 on the road at 4-5-0. ... Late series at UMD is crucial to Tigers' fate. Not expecting them to fare well there, so CC finishes 6-4 for a ...

17-11-0 record and 34 points

5. Nebraska Omaha ... six home games and four away. Host Bemidji State (sweep), at Michigan Tech (split), at Colorado College (split), host Gophers (split), host Denver (split). ... UNO finishes with three tough teams; all of them will be fighting for favorable playoff spots, so UNO could be a real spoiler. ... See a lot of splits in red Mavs' future, so UNO finishes 6-4 for a ...

15-10-3 record and 33 points

Note that his predictions have UND drop 3 of 4 vs UMD and Denver, so fighting for home ice.

I'll fire up the What-if Calculator and see if I can do better ;)

Ok, here's mine:

WCHA Final

Team		GP	Pts

UMD 		28 	40

UMN 		28 	40

UND 		28 	34

Denver 		28 	34

Nebraska-Omaha 	28 	33

CC 		28 	32

MTech 		28 	28

UW 		28 	26

SCSU 		28 	23

Bemidji State 	28 	20

Mankato 	28 	15

AA 		28 	11

It took a little work to not have Minnesota win outright ;)

I like this one better than Romaines version... :)

WCHA What-If Calculator

Ok, here's mine:

WCHA Final

Team		GP	Pts

UMD 		28 	40

UMN 		28 	40

UND 		28 	34

Denver 		28 	34

Nebraska-Omaha 	28 	33

CC 		28 	32

MTech 		28 	28

UW 		28 	26

SCSU 		28 	23

Bemidji State 	28 	20

Mankato 	28 	15

AA 		28 	11

It took a little work to not have Minnesota win outright ;)

What are the WCHA tie breakers? Since UM swept UMD would they get the #1 seed still?

I'm calling it 7-3 or 7-2-1 for UND in final eight. Might get someone like Bemidji, St. Clown, or hey...Wisconsin in first round. Sorry hockey weekend on TV coming up, Badgers-SCSU on Big 10 Network Friday night. Wish the Denver-CC matchup was on somewhere.

I'm calling it 7-3 or 7-2-1 for UND in final eight. Might get someone like Bemidji, St. Clown, or hey...Wisconsin in first round. Sorry hockey weekend on TV coming up, Badgers-SCSU on Big 10 Network Friday night. Wish the Denver-CC matchup was on somewhere.

There is a chance that you may be able to see the friday night cc du game. My programing shows fcsp channel 315 in bismarck.

It's on Directv RootSports Rockey Mountain channel 683 at 8:30. Like 4 others on, but not much interest in those.

Now Saturdays is always the bummer for college hockey on television.

I thought Minnesota had the tie breaker with UMD as well? I still think first place is a toss up between those two teams, as UMD's schedule is a bit more favorable from here on out, but the series with Tech hurt them. Before that series I thought they were almost guaranteed to win the league the way they were playing.

Right now I guess its up for grabs, but likely Minnesota or Duluth takes the league. I've done the what if calculator a couple of different times and it just doesn't seem logical that Minnesota doesn't win the league in my book. BSU and Bucky at home (both sweeps), and likely splits on the road with Omaha and Denver.

In my what if world UND ends up in 3rd place hosting Bemidji State in the first round. Here is what I've got: Maybe Anchorage can find some Mariucci magic again eh?

1. Minnesota

2. Duluth

3. UND

4. Denver

5. CC

6. Nebraska-Omaha

7. Tech

8. SCSU

9. UW

10. BSU

11. Mankato

12. Anchorage

This is the tie-breaking procedure for tournament seeding the WCHA listed on their site last year. I can't imagine it being different this year. As for the MacNaughton, teams who tie for first are co-champions.

-------

In the event that ties are encountered in the determination of WCHA ranking or designation of home teams for playoff purposes, the following procedures will be used in the order given to break the ties:

a) If two or more teams are tied, head-to-head competition during the regular (conference) season will be used to break the tie.

b) If two or more teams are still tied after (a), the highest seed will go to the team with the most WCHA (conference) wins during the regular season.

c) If two or more teams played a four-game series during the regular season and the teams have the same win-loss records for those series and the same number of WCHA wins, the team having the least number of goals scored against it in the four-game series shall have the higher rank. If two or more teams played a two-game series during the regular season, procede to tie-breaker d).

d) If two or more teams are still tied after applying the provisions of (a), (b) and ©, the team having the greatest ‘winning margin’ during the regular season will have the higher rank. Winning margin = WCHA goals for during the regular season minus WCHA goals against.

e) Games played against WCHA opponents in holiday tournaments will not be counted in the determinations.

• 1 month later...

Though Roman was right on the Gophers topping UMD, they actually got there by UMD stumbling rather than Minnesota being as dominant as he hoped.<br />

<br />

I couldn't get many people to play along this year, so I'll just pat myself on the back a little. I'm going to declare victory on getting UND pretty much right (which was a pretty optimistic prediction at the time), though I clearly fell apart a bit on Nebraska-Omaha, St Cloud and Bemidji St.<br />

<br />

<table style="width:400px">

<caption>WCHA Final</caption>

<tr><td>Team </td><td>Roman</td><td> Me</td><td> Actual</td></tr>

<tr><td>UMN </td><td>42 </td><td> 40</td><td> 40</td></tr>

<tr><td>UMD </td><td>41 </td><td> 40</td><td> 37</td></tr>

<tr><td>Denver </td><td>35 </td><td> 34</td><td> 36</td></tr>

<tr><td>UND </td><td> </td><td> 34</td><td> 33</td></tr>

<tr><td>CC </td><td>34 </td><td> 32</td><td> 31</td></tr>

<tr><td>SCSU </td><td> </td><td> 23</td><td> 28</td></tr>

<tr><td>Nebraska-Omaha </td><td>33 </td><td> 33</td><td> 27</td></tr>

<tr><td>MTech </td><td> </td><td> 28</td><td> 26</td></tr>