SiouxSports.com Forum

Effect on fundraising

jimdahl

I'm sure most have seen this elsewhere, but there's been so much discussion on the potential effect of the nickname's retirement on alumni relations and fundraising that it seems to deserve a mention in this forum.

Record Alumni Donations To UND Despite Nickname Retirement - WDAZ

In fiscal year 2011, the UND Foundation saw the largest number of donors ever. A record 13,770 people donated $50.5 million in new gifts and pledges.

Though some alumni voiced concerns and said they would no longer donate to the school, it is clear many were not bothered by their alma mater's name change.

I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion. FY2011 for UND ended on June 30, when the nickname retirement was in a much different (and more confusing) place. So, even half of FY2012 will have occurred with the name in place. The effect, if any, would be in the next couple reports.

I'm not predicting any negative impact myself, but I know others see things differently.

In my own case, I've increased my own kick to UND, and the employer match. I would expect some run-off. However, I think most alums and others who hate seeing the moniker go will still contribute as they see their money benefitting the school as a whole, and not the NC$$ or some other political hacks.

• Upvote 2

Baaaa baaa Baaaa

I think I know what you are referencing and it's pure, unadultered B.S. :glare:

If you want to quit giving, that's your business. But I and many others will keep giving what we can. This institution has shaped my life so much I can't begin to calculate it. I won't abandon it because of some idiots at the NCAA.

• Upvote 2

I do not believe that the nickname issue is going to affect alumni donations at all. It's the school that benefits, not the nickname. I believe that even Ralph would have contributed knowing the position that the NCAA ultimately took toward UND. (Yeah, Ralph probably would have given the SL tribe money to keep up the fight too!)

I do not believe that the nickname issue is going to affect alumni donations at all. It's the school that benefits, not the nickname. I believe that even Ralph would have contributed knowing the position that the NCAA ultimately took toward UND. (Yeah, Ralph probably would have given the SL tribe money to keep up the fight too!)

If anything, it should help. There are a handful of folks (Phil Jackson being one) who have implied they wouldn't contribute until the Sioux name was gone. I hope the fundraising group is reminding this small group of alumni of their earlier past comments!

Feel free to enlighten me if the Jackson example is not fact.

If anything, it should help. There are a handful of folks (Phil Jackson being one) who have implied they wouldn't contribute until the Sioux name was gone. I hope the fundraising group is reminding this small group of alumni of their earlier past comments!

Feel free to enlighten me if the Jackson example is not fact.

You must have been dreaming, Jackson hasn't implied anything like that. The "handful of folks" you're referring to never have, and never will, give anything to UND.

Last night R.T. O'Sullivan's in Mesa was loaded with 50, 60, 70 & 80 year old folks with green Sioux jerseys and sweatshirts on that give more money to UND in one week than any of these "handful of folks" will in a lifetime -- logo or no logo.

You must have been dreaming, Jackson hasn't implied anything like that. The "handful of folks" you're referring to never have, and never will, give anything to UND.

Last night R.T. O'Sullivan's in Mesa was loaded with 50, 60, 70 & 80 year old folks with green Sioux jerseys and sweatshirts on that give more money to UND in one week than any of these "handful of folks" will in a lifetime -- logo or no logo.

Was it full this weekend?