SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Clarkson

mbhusker

Here is the deal, I just verfied throught the Pembina Port of Entry, that you don't need to have a passport to get back into the USA from Canada. All you need to have is a Government ID and your Birth Certificate or an inhanced Drivers License. Children under 16 only need to have a Birth Certificate.

Be careful about doing that though. My advice is to personally call Pembina, write down the name of the person you spoke to that told you this was okay, and when the person at POE asked you who the heck told you this was okay, to give them that individual's name. Had an issue with this a few years ago. Got held up at the border on the way in, and a little bit heading back into the US. So if you decide to do this, leave really early to plan for the delay.

• Upvote 1

Here is the deal, I just verfied throught the Pembina Port of Entry, that you don't need to have a passport to get back into the USA from Canada. All you need to have is a Government ID and your Birth Certificate or an inhanced Drivers License. Children under 16 only need to have a Birth Certificate.

If you plan on just showing up with a drivers license, than you will have an extended stop at the border my friend. You are correct with having an enhanced drivers license, but not a lot of states have that, including North Dakota. So I would have a passport or a passport card if you don't want to get hassled.

I will be there with my wife and another couple from Drayton that are season ticket holders. We will be staying at the Marlborough Hotel, only 2 blocks from the arena and rooms were a lot cheaper than most of the other hotels in the area. Looks like a very nice place. Anybody else staying there?

Be careful about doing that though. My advice is to personally call Pembina, write down the name of the person you spoke to that told you this was okay, and when the person at POE asked you who the heck told you this was okay, to give them that individual's name. Had an issue with this a few years ago. Got held up at the border on the way in, and a little bit heading back into the US. So if you decide to do this, leave really early to plan for the delay.

Just for the record I called the Supervisor that was on duty from the PMB POE so I would take him at his world.

If you plan on just showing up with a drivers license, than you will have an extended stop at the border my friend. You are correct with having an enhanced drivers license, but not a lot of states have that, including North Dakota. So I would have a passport or a passport card if you don't want to get hassled.

That's why I put Government ID (Driver License or other form of ID like Military ID) and your Birth Certificate or an enhanced Drivers License. I actually have a passport card and passport.

Just for the record I called the Supervisor that was on duty from the PMB POE so I would take him at his world.

Goon, I know you said you had a passport, so this isn't directed at you.

I just don't know if I'd take the Supervisor at his word exactly based on prior experiences. I have a passport as well, I'm just concerned about others who might try to cross the border. If anyone is planning to cross the border without a passport, prepare for the worst. They'll let you cross, but they'll probably make you go inside and talk with someone. I've had this happen before, so I'm a little cautious about this situation.

That's why I put Government ID (Driver License or other form of ID like Military ID) and your Birth Certificate or an enhanced Drivers License. I actually have a passport card and passport.

I'm telling you, just a drivers license won't work. If you don't believe me, read this. http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html No where does it say you need just a drivers license. Not trying to be mean, just wanting to make sure no one has problems at the border.

I'm telling you, just a drivers license won't work. If you don't believe me, read this. http://www.getyouhom..._eng/index.html No where does it say you need just a drivers license. Not trying to be mean, just wanting to make sure no one has problems at the border.
Re-read what I wrote. No where in that sentence does it imply that you can get across the border with just your Driver Liscense.
Government ID (Driver License or other form of ID like Military ID) and your Birth Certificate or an enhanced Drivers License
Lastly, I not trying to be mean but I "just might" know what I am talking about from working in the same department/agency. I work for CBP.GOV. Like someone stated, that might not mean you're going to get right through back into the USA and you might get your car torn apart though. Edited by Goon

Only four US states use Enhanced Drivers Licences: Washington, Michigan, New York, and Vermont.

If you are North Dakotan or Minnesotan planning to go to the game your supposed to have a passport or a passcard or a NEXUS card.

http://www.getyouhom...ng/eng_edl.html

FYP for you. Again, to quote the Customs office in Pembina, "They can not deny a US Citizen entry back into the USA."

But without a passport have a nice (long, arduous, at the discretion and whim of US and Canadian customs) time proving you are a US citizen. ;)

I asked the woman about the full grope that one might get on the way back into the country. She said, "Depends on who you get to inspect you."

FYP for you. Again, to quote the Customs office in Pembina, "They can not deny a US Citizen entry back into the USA."

That is a true statement. But they can make you life a living hell. I get that you have a passport, but don't go on here telling people they don't need one because if they don't have an appoved document, then Customs chose to have them go to secondary and strip search their car for a couple hours. What I am saying is don't show up withut an approved document (passport, passport card, etc) and give them a reason to hold you for 2 hours

Do what you want, but don't misinform people of what they do and do not have to have.

So for all those wondering, BRING A PASSPORT or PASSPORT CARD.or another approved doc as per this list http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

But without a passport have a nice (long, arduous, at the discretion and whim of US and Canadian customs) time proving you are a US citizen. ;)

I suppose you can just bring with you an original copy of your birth certificate. I have two of them, so I probably would use one of those if I did not have a passport (which I have).

That is a true statement. But they can make you life a living hell. I get that you have a passport, but don't go on here telling people they don't need one because if they don't have an appoved document, then Customs chose to have them go to secondary and strip search their car for a couple hours. What I am saying is don't show up withut an approved document (passport, passport card, etc) and give them a reason to hold you for 2 hours

Do what you want, but don't misinform people of what they do and do not have to have.

So for all those wondering, BRING A PASSPORT or PASSPORT CARD.or another approved doc as per this list http://www.getyouhom..._eng/index.html

How am I miss informing people, not one thing that I said was untrue.

Can you two quit wasting 20 posts on a game preview thread going back and forth about border entry.

It's ridiculous.

I guess I now know how to pad my post count on here.

• Upvote 4

How am I miss informing people, not one thing that I said was untrue.

Ok, what I meant was you were misleading people. You say that they don't need a passport. you say they only need a government ID or a enhanced drivers license. There is a small number of people with a government ID and North Dakota does not issue enhanced drivers license. So over 90% of the people in North Dakota that want to travel to Canada and get back to the US will need a Passport or Passport card or another form of approved ID. By saying that people don't need a pssport is misleading because the majority of people will.

I want to set the record straight so people don't just go up with a drivers license and a birth certificate because if they do the WILL ABSOLUTELY get questioned from customs where their approved WHTI document is. Trust me bud. I know what I am talking about.

Can you two quit wasting 20 posts on a game preview thread going back and forth about border entry.

It's ridiculous.

I guess I now know how to pad my post count on here.

Just trying to set the record straight for those wanting to go to Canada this weekend. Don't want people to have problems at the border getting back because they were mislead or misinformed. The topic is relevant to the game becasue it involves traveling there and 100% of the people going to the game from ND will be going through Customs. I will stop talking about it.

PS I could care less about my post counts. I don't live on this site.

I suppose if anyone has issues at the border, they can always say "Goon on siouxsports.com said passports were not necessary, just recommended." and see if you get further into Canada than the distance it takes to drive the vehicle around the entry station. Besides, if you don't have a passport by now, you won't be heading to the great white north tomorrow.