SiouxSports.com Forum

I want txt scores for Christmas

KirkEisenbeis

Here's what I want for Christmas: I want each Sioux hockey final score to appear on my non-smart phone as a txt. I don't want to subscribe to UNDMHockey on Twitter because the traffic is too high (over 60 in last game alone). I just want to be out and about on Saturday night, and poof, I get a text that says hey, the Sioux just beat CC 4-3.

(A few years ago, Siouxsports played with an automated SMS system but the internet score sources were not dependable enough.)

Bonus: The author could add a txt-size game summary.

Twitter seems to be the most obvious medium?

Examples:

UW@UND 3-4 OT, shots ~25-29. UND (17-7-1) 3G

in 3rd to win after Forbort fighting DQ. GTG Blood

19:51! GWG Parks. Nxt:@UMD Feb10

UND@UMD 5-0, shots 35-18. UND lept on #6 UMD,

3G in 1st, 2G in 2nd. Dell 4th SO of season.

Simpson 1G,3A. Nxt:@UMD Feb11

UND@UMD 0-2, shots 30-15. Frustrating game,

outplayed UMD but couldn't get one in. Nxt:MTU

Feb17

I'm not asking you to scour the box score for crazy stats, just write something on your way out of the game. If you go to the games anyway, and you listen to the radio most of the time, this might be for you.

If 2-3 people tag-team this, I don't think you can share a Twitter account, but each of you could have one, and agree beforehand who would cover a given game.

Ideally, I'd like just one txt per game. If it's more than 2 or 3 per game, I wouldn't subscribe. If you miss a game here and there, I'd still subscribe--I can't whine about a free service.

CHN offers such a service (it was them starting it up that actually led me to stop trying to do it here, as it seems an area in which they'd have an advantage).

I've never used it so can't comment on it's reliability or timeliness, though do use their composite scores as one of the inputs into SiouxSports and they do send down about half a dozen wrong scores a year (so, on average, you might get one bad one for a UND game every couple years, assuming they're evenly distributed).

I used CHN a while back. They did something that pissed me off and I canceled it. I don't exactly recall but I think it was something like getting several duplicate score updates after 1 AM one night.

I've re-signed with CHN for now, but I'd much rather get short commentaries from a green-tinted-glasses-wearing Sioux fan.

I used CHN a while back. They did something that pissed me off and I canceled it. I don't exactly recall but I think it was something like getting several duplicate score updates after 1 AM one night.

I've re-signed with CHN for now, but I'd much rather get short commentaries from a green-tinted-glasses-wearing Sioux fan.

$100 bucks a week and I will do it! :)

For folks with smartphones, if you didn't already know, UNDsports.com has a pretty darn good app available for Android and Iphone/Ipad. You can find it on UNDsports.com under the TV/Radio tab. Pay the $$$ for the $4.99 dollar one. It is so worth it for a 1 time price.

I'm surprised that UND doesn't utilize a SMS service. I guess non-smartphones are on their way out and UND may just not want to pay or deal with the service. I know Mayville State does SMS messages after everygame. But MSU doesn't have the video, radio and smartphone capabilities either. So maybe that is why they are willing to spend the $$$ to produce that service.