SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux name

bigskyvikes

Had a guy pull up behind me when I parked my truck in Wadena, MN today.

He asked where I got my big Fighting Sioux sticker in my back window. It is unique and you can see through it on my back window. I told him the printing/graphics shop behind Darceys on north Washington in GF, ND.

What was interesting was what he said about the name being dropped and a waiting period of a new name being made was by design. He claimed his brother works for the UND and said they are saving the school by dropping the name now, but promises the name will given back to UND in ceremony from the tribes again after their suing of the NCAA is victorious and it will be he claimed! Has anyone else heard this awesome news?

I think this is what many on this board have been saying for quite some time...I think Sicatoka has been trying to drive this point home in the nickname forum. Let the University take the path it needs to take to keep the athletic department going while the SL tribe takes a separate path against the NCAA. Should the two paths cross in the future, the name could possibly be restored. If not, so be it.

I hope you're right, but I fear the powers-that-be never want the name back because they claim there will be scheduling problems with schools that object to the name. No wonder the Spirit Lake tribal members are so angry- to be told your name is offensive by a bunch of white people in the Ivory Tower? I hope Spirit Lake hands the NCAA their a$$ in court.

• Upvote 1

No way that the UND administration takes back the Fighting Sioux as its nickname once it's gone - too unstable and risky. As has been stated Tribal Councils are like banana republics - what one council does, the next can undo. Look at how some within the tribe are trashing the validity of the sacred ceremony that gave the name to UND.

Didn't know this, first I heard of this and was curious if its even a possibility, or just a wishful thinking..

Purely wishful thinking. Does not matter what SL does without SR coming along, which will never happen because the supporters there, aka Archie Fool Bear, do not have the respect of the tribe. How can I say they do not have the respect? Look at their last election. A small group, and it is a very small group, considering that less than 1% voted in favor of it. That is one percent of all Sioux and only 10% of SL members. Does not seem to be a lot of support as it is made out to be.

Purely wishful thinking. Does not matter what SL does without SR coming along, which will never happen because the supporters there, aka Archie Fool Bear, do not have the respect of the tribe. How can I say they do not have the respect? Look at their last election. A small group, and it is a very small group, considering that less than 1% voted in favor of it. That is one percent of all Sioux and only 10% of SL members. Does not seem to be a lot of support as it is made out to be.

I think it is wishful also, but your numbers are wrong.

The petition signed in favor of having the vote was 2/3's, but didn't

get to vote. The other tribe already voted and it passed with the majority, so I don't know where you get your numbers.

I think it is wishful also, but your numbers are wrong.

The petition signed in favor of having the vote was 2/3's, but didn't

get to vote. The other tribe already voted and it passed with the majority, so I don't know where you get your numbers.

By the total number of Sioux. If there is so much support at SR then why did none of the supporters get on the tribal council? Where do you get 2/3rds from? Archie Fool Bear who does not have the respect of the tribe. Even if 2/3rds signed a petition at SL that would be 4,000 people. Funny but only 600 voted for it.

Dude, who cares? What difference does this all make?

Also some of the council members campaigned on the

promise of the nickname, and when it all came down to it

they were silent, just like politicians. Anyways just wanted to share

my story and find out if anyone else had heard this. I also agreed

with your statement, just not your numbers, because all of this is a pc scam!

Cmsioux ::" As has been stated Tribal Councils are like banana republics - what one council does, the next can undo."

I hereby salute this post as the #1 reason why the name is being changed, and it should be the #1 answer to anyone questioning this. they are a soverign nation, if 6 of 10 on a board like bingo on tuesdays, then its bingo on tuesdays. Then the next election, a group of cousins gets elected and they want bingo on thursday nights, well, it's gonna be bingo on thursdays!

same with contracts, I think this whole ordeal can be summed up by what cmsioux said and put to bed.