SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Legend Gene Murphy passes away

iramurphy

First meet Gene Murphy back in the early 80's, he was a guest speaker for a couple of Father and Son Banquet's at the Elks Club in Grand Forks. Coach Gene Murphy was one of a kind, truly Inspirational, a Great Ambassador for the Fighting Sioux, He loved Sport and was a Fierce Competitor, never backed away from any challenge. He was well respected and loved by many, he will be truly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends. Today we lost one of the best, may he rest in peace.

CEXQDVXJFCEJAGV.20090729212135.jpg

UND Coaches Olson, Helling, Murph, (front row) RT, Muss (back row)

• Upvote 1

I knew Gene when I was a student involved with football at UND, he had a wit about him and always a smile on his face - totally the cat that ate the canary smile. I was in the locker room the game he held a bison bobblehead and used it as a prop during his pre-game speech - let's say the bobblehead was worse for the wear after that speech. He and Pat Berns made a great set of assistant coaches.

• Upvote 1

Nice articles coming out of LA. Many comments form his Titan players and Titan family similar to what we hear from his Fighting Sioux family. Google Gene Murphy for articles.

The list of coaches who played or coached under Gene Murphy is impressive. Army head coach Rich Ellerson, Northwestern Asst Jerry Brown, Jim Chaney former Purdue Asst, Rob Bollinger, Dale Lennon, Roger Thomas, and Pat Behrns of UND and UNO.

Raiders former head coach Tom Cable, present Raiders coach Hue Jackson, former 49ers and Lions head coach Stever Mariucci. 49ers asst. Ed Donatell, former Titans asst. the late Mike Heimerdinger (wonder what nickname Murph had for him).

I was a student at UND from 1973 - 77. Coach Murphy was an assistant football coach at the time. I was not a football player or on scholarship in any sport but took a few classes from coach Murphy as I was in P.E. I was impressed with him the first time I met him. No matter who you were he always had time for you. Indeed he was a class act who will be missed. People like him and others like Pinky Kraft make me think fondly of my years at UND. I will miss both of them. Rest in peace.

• Upvote 1

I was a student at UND from 1973 - 77. Coach Murphy was an assistant football coach at the time. I was not a football player or on scholarship in any sport but took a few classes from coach Murphy as I was in P.E. I was impressed with him the first time I met him. No matter who you were he always had time for you. Indeed he was a class act who will be missed. People like him and others like Pinky Kraft make me think fondly of my years at UND. I will miss both of them. Rest in peace.

You could add Frank Zazula to the group. Your experience is a great example of what made Murph special. If you were a UND guy or gal your were special to Murph whether or not you were a FB player. He helped make UND and UND athletics (not just FB) what it is. The same comments are coming from former players, and students from Cal State and Fullerton College.

You could add Frank Zazula to the group. Your experience is a great example of what made Murph special. If you were a UND guy or gal your were special to Murph whether or not you were a FB player. He helped make UND and UND athletics (not just FB) what it is. The same comments are coming from former players, and students from Cal State and Fullerton College.

Zaz and Martha were our host couple at our Wedding back in 1980. Could not be nicer people. I'm from Colorado (23 years) last 31 in Grand Forks. It's people like Zaz, Murph, Tom Clifford, RT, Bolly, Dale, Gene, Bubba, Dosch, Mannasau, Gunther, Glas, I could go on forever that make Grand Forks, UND what it is.

Coach Murph exemplifies this and lead by example, he was truly inspirational...

Zaz and Martha were our host couple at our Wedding back in 1980. Could not be nicer people. I'm from Colorado (23 years) last 31 in Grand Forks. It's people like Zaz, Murph, Tom Clifford, RT, Bolly, Dale, Gene, Bubba, Dosch, Mannasau, Gunther, Glas, I could go on forever that make Grand Forks, UND what it is.

Coach Murph exemplifies this and lead by example, he was truly inspirational...

Well said!

When I was in high school Murph welcomed me to UND football practice and he hooked me up with Rob Bollinger and Erv Mondt for some coaching. He also connected me with some of the players who gave me advice also. It was a great help to me.

I later went away to college but transferred back to UND and was a football walk on who eventually played for 3 seasons. Much of the reason I tried out for the football team was the excellent experience I had with Murph and his staff.

Great sendoff for Murph yesterday. His family put together a very nice tribute. Church was packed. Lots of great Murphy stories. The Cal State players appreciated Murph as much as we did. Many of them gave him credit for getting them out of poor neighborhoods and helping them become successful. Former UND head coaches, Jerry Olson, Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon all were there. Asst. coaches Del Wight, Larry Manfull, Rob Bollinger, Tom Tatum, Danny Martinson, Corey Colehauer, John Miklesh were all there. Miklesh, Manfull and Roger Thomas all coached with him Cal State. Steve Mariucci was there as was Northwestern Asst. Jerry Brown. Roger, Steve and Jerry had some great Murphy stories and took a number of us over to their former offices. A reminder of how much Murph and his staff did with so little. Damon Allen his former QB who rewrote the record books in the CFL shared some great stories. Brian Grover was the UND QB when Mariucci was the QB at Northern Michigan and they were comparing stories. UND was well represented by former coaches and players. The family and CSF put together a nice video tribute that included his UND days. Murph leaves a beautiful family: Tim, Mike and their families, his daughter Aileen, his friend Christine and former wife Kathy (Bruiser) couldn't have been more gracious. The time Gene spent with his players and coaches was time away from family for those folks and we owe them a debt of thanks for sharing their Dad/Husband with the players and the Fighting Sioux family. Mariucci had pictures of Murph behind him for his broadcasts last week. as a tribute to Murph. May he rest in peace.

Great sendoff for Murph yesterday. His family put together a very nice tribute. Church was packed. Lots of great Murphy stories. The Cal State players appreciated Murph as much as we did. Many of them gave him credit for getting them out of poor neighborhoods and helping them become successful. Former UND head coaches, Jerry Olson, Roger Thomas and Dale Lennon all were there. Asst. coaches Del Wight, Larry Manfull, Rob Bollinger, Tom Tatum, Danny Martinson, Corey Colehauer, John Miklesh were all there. Miklesh, Manfull and Roger Thomas all coached with him Cal State. Steve Mariucci was there as was Northwestern Asst. Jerry Brown. Roger, Steve and Jerry had some great Murphy stories and took a number of us over to their former offices. A reminder of how much Murph and his staff did with so little. Damon Allen his former QB who rewrote the record books in the CFL shared some great stories. Brian Grover was the UND QB when Mariucci was the QB at Northern Michigan and they were comparing stories. UND was well represented by former coaches and players. The family and CSF put together a nice video tribute that included his UND days. Murph leaves a beautiful family: Tim, Mike and their families, his daughter Aileen, his friend Christine and former wife Kathy (Bruiser) couldn't have been more gracious. The time Gene spent with his players and coaches was time away from family for those folks and we owe them a debt of thanks for sharing their Dad/Husband with the players and the Fighting Sioux family. Mariucci had pictures of Murph behind him for his broadcasts last week. as a tribute to Murph. May he rest in peace.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d823c8338/Who-will-win-the-AFC-North

Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen it. Mariucci was a pall bearer along with other former coaches and Murph's pal Vince Liddy from Grand Forks. Before my son-in-law signed with the Cowboys the Lions had him in for a workout and Murph called Steve and asked him to take a close look at him. There were a lot of similar stories about how Murph knew and kept track of his former players but also knew their kids names and what they were doing. He frequently did things like that for his former players or coaches or the families. Murph also treated the people around his programs like he did his All-Americans. Mike Wirtz, former Sioux student manager was at the funeral and Murph loved him and kept in contact with him just like he did with his star players. That would have made Murph just as happy as having Mariucci there.