SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. St. Cloud

Dave Berger

This is a big early season series for this squad. They appear, both on paper and on the ice, to have plenty of talent. Their record is so-so and they have a big rivalry weekend next week on the horizon. St. Clown is a big rival, and will be tough and ready for their first conference series.

The Sioux need to stop pussyfooting around and take command early. Skate fast. Hit hard. Be smart. Block the puck. Score goals. Kick ass. For 120 minutes.

• Upvote 2

This is a big early season series for this squad. They appear, both on paper and on the ice, to have plenty of talent. Their record is so-so and they have a big rivalry weekend next week on the horizon. St. Clown is a big rival, and will be tough and ready for their first conference series.

The Sioux need to stop pussyfooting around and take command early. Skate fast. Hit hard. Be smart. Block the puck. Score goals. Kick ass. For 120 minutes.

I thought that was the game plan every weekend. Sometimes happens, sometimes not.

One thing I have noticed from this team that is quite different than last year is the ability to get the puck out of their own zone cleanly. Last year we had defenseman that could move the puck well but also skate it out if needed (Genoway, Marto), this year we don't really have that as much. Another thing, UND likes to swing its center down low to carry the puck out with speed. Last year we had Malone, Knight, and Nelson to do this, this year we have Knight, Rowney, and Lamoureux. That is a huge difference in terms of skill, skating ability, and speed. I think this is something that is being overlooked.

If the center attacks with speed it is extremely hard for the other team to stop them before they bring it out to the red line, I think that instead of having the the center, exclusively, swing down low we should allow the wingers to do it, guys with speed and skill on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines instead of the centers. Guys like MacMillan, Parks, and Grimaldi when healthy. I think doing this would help for cleaner breakouts.

One thing I have noticed from this team that is quite different than last year is the ability to get the puck out of their own zone cleanly. Last year we had defenseman that could move the puck well but also skate it out if needed (Genoway, Marto), this year we don't really have that as much. Another thing, UND likes to swing its center down low to carry the puck out with speed. Last year we had Malone, Knight, and Nelson to do this, this year we have Knight, Rowney, and Lamoureux. That is a huge difference in terms of skill, skating ability, and speed. I think this is something that is being overlooked.

If the center attacks with speed it is extremely hard for the other team to stop them before they bring it out to the red line, I think that instead of having the the center, exclusively, swing down low we should allow the wingers to do it, guys with speed and skill on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines instead of the centers. Guys like MacMillan, Parks, and Grimaldi when healthy. I think doing this would help for cleaner breakouts.

Thanks a million for some reasoned real insight instead of the tripe that I will sometimes contribute. I always enjoy reading things from knowledgeable fans who know the X's and O's of Hockey.

Let's make this the game thread for tonight! Toinght's lines (per Brad's Blog)

UND’s lines

29 Brock Nelson–10 Corban Knight–7 Danny Kristo

16 Mark MacMillan–27 Carter Rowney–15 Michael Parks

28 Stephane Pattyn–9 Mario Lamoureux–11 Derek Rodwell

8 Dan Senkbeil–19 Rocco Grimaldi–20 Joe Gleason

4 Derek Forbort–24 Ben Blood

2 Andrew MacWilliam–5 Nick Mattson

18 Dillon Simpson–22 Andrew Panzarella

32 Aaron Dell

31 Brad Eidsness

St. Cloud State’s lines

23 Cam Reid–19 Drew LeBlanc–11 Jared Festler

10 Ben Hanowski–26 Nic Dowd–22 David Eddy

15 Mitch MacMillan–13 Jordy Christian–12 Travis Novak

27 Nick Oliver–8 Cory Thorson–17 Joey Holka

28 Andrew Prochno–14 Nick Jensen

7 Kevin Gravel–4 Taylor Johnson

3 Sam Zabkowicz–2 Jarrod Rabey

29 Ryan Faragher

33 Joe Phillippi

I'm around, just been bit busy on game nights Sioux sweep! Grimaldi Hatty if he gets the ice time

i just hope he can make it through the game without injury. assuming he's on the PP, guys better get their sticks on the ice. he made a few passes in his only game that guys weren't ready for.

Go Sioux!

I'm around, just been bit busy on game nights Sioux sweep! Grimaldi Hatty if he gets the ice time

I would think he'd only see limited ice time tonight. He's new, he's young, and he's coming off an injury.

That said, I think this is the perfect game to get some playing time in.