SiouxSports.com Forum

whitey's has opened again

Vegas_Sioux

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped there on my trip to North Dakota last Autumn. Seemed like a nice place,pretty good food,and low prices. The only thing was I must have sat there 25 minutes before anyone took my order.

Yeah, I believe that was with the old management. The original was better, and hopefully this set will get Whitey's back to the way that it was.

Yeah, I believe that was with the old management. The original was better, and hopefully this set will get Whitey's back to the way that it was.

I apparently can't read the original article any more, so I'll just soliloquize... (though there's already been a huge amount of discussion from when it closed, including my own thoughts). Nonetheless, I'll try again... the old Whitey's (90s) felt like you were in the same bar that people were sitting around in the 60s. That was its charm. The food was bar food, but just the right value -- I could afford a couple beers there most nights, a couple beers for me and friends and a burger basket on good nights. I knew there were people there eating steaks paying 3x as much, but they were somehow similarly there for a good deal on a steak. I could sit at a booth for hours as friends came and went, or pop in for a quick snack. It was unflappably lacking in any pretense.

I only made the new Whitey's once in the 00's, but it just felt like any new, modern bar. It was nice. There was nothing wrong with it. But it didn't even attempt to resemble the charm of the old.

I never really cared about Whitey's. I miss Frenchy's. Nothing like that cheap beer in my Frenchy's mug to help wash down those burgers and fries. That place had character.

When I first got to town Frenchy's was still open and they had awesome food. Now there is just an empty space where the building used to be.

I met Frenchy at homecoming tailgating last year (or maybe the year before). He was living near Ashly, ND. Isn't there some award he should be considered for - Sioux Booster, what a part of UND history/lore. He said that all the mugs that weren't picked up when the building was tore down were bought by someone and sold on ebay. He still had the frenchy moustache and was very friendly.