SiouxSports.com Forum

Shame on the NCAA

The Sicatoka

Seems the NCAA is in a game of "who's more Indian" that Spirit Lake can't win.

The NCAA took as good enough the opinions of the Florida Seminole Nation, the Utah Ute Nation, and one Chippewa tribe in Michigan. And honestly, they took Standing Rock's opinion over that of Spirit Lake.

The NCAA has just said the opinion and tribal council ruling of a soverign nation, the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation, is something that can be completely disregarded by them.

The NCAA has just put Spirit Lake at the bottom of the list of who to listen to, and it's not just this issue as tribes both for and against Indian monikers rank ahead of Spirit Lake on who the NCAA will listen to.

And honestly, they've put Spirit Lake in a position where this could be used as precedent to ignore Spirit Lake soverign rulings and and opinions in the future.

Congratulations NCAA, if your goal was to undercut Spirit Lake's authority, you've succeeded resoundingly.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure this has been covered ad naseum, but why hasn't "Spirit Lake Fighting Sioux" or something of that nature been considered? Is it because of it still being a Native American name? I've been away from the boards for a while, and haven't followed the nickname change debates much. Thanks for quick update.

Seems some, specifically Spirit Lake themselves, have noticed they've been disrespected (and possibly discriminated against) ... and it seems they may be planning to do something about it.

http://plainsdaily.com/entry/the-next-little-big-horn-black-cloud-says-ncaas-actions-discriminatory-against-spirit-lake-sioux/

Why was UND the only school that had to get more then one tribe's permission? I'd like to hear the NCAA's argument in court on that subject...

Good question. As asinine as it sounds, I bet it will be this: "We're the NCAA, a "private" organization, and we can essentially make whatever requirements we want for any one or all of our membership." How the hell this outfit is not broken up is beyond me. Though it's not a telephone company or a utility It's clearly a monopoly given its economic influence. If "Ma Bell" could be broken up in 1984 for competition reasons (and it, too, was a "private" entity), why can't the NCAA? Certainly, the schools and fans and cable companies, etc would be benefited from more competition. Probably just need a few politicians with some spine and who are not well-greased by the money gun -- good luck.

• Upvote 1

I am so humbled that the our Native American brethren on Spirit Lake see it the way we do. Wouldn't it be something if the NCAA was actually forced to acknowledge them and their claims that the NCAA is the discriminatory actor, not the state of North Dakota.

I was in Devils Lakes for the Fort Totten Days activities and my Sioux Pride shirts were very well received. Many who stopped at the booth said they voted for the nickname others said that the use of the name did not bother them - which to me is like a yes vote. I have also sold Sioux Pride shirts to native americans from more than a dozen states.

• Upvote 1

Why was UND the only school that had to get more then one tribe's permission? I'd like to hear the NCAA's argument in court on that subject...

Because that's what UND agreed to. Perhaps the person to ask why they agreed to that term is the state's MIA AG. :glare:

This week's Sports Illustrates rates as #1 pre-game ceremony the Florida State Seminole pre-game ceremony of a student dressed as a native american riding a horse to the center of the football field and throwing a flaming spear into the ground.

Any thoughts?

This week's Sports Illustrates rates as #1 pre-game ceremony the Florida State Seminole pre-game ceremony of a student dressed as a native american riding a horse to the center of the football field and throwing a flaming spear into the ground.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, "money talks, and bullshiat walks". :lol:

Any thoughts?

This isn't under the NCAA definition of hostile or abusive......duh...... :blush:

• 1 month later...

I heard a discussion about this article (from the Atlantic magazine by Taylor Branch) on Sports Talk radio. They were calling it the best article ever written on the state of the NCAA and college sports. Very long, but worth the read. The main premise is that it's time to once again pay college athletes. But, a lot more on how the NCAA operates.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/

A litany of scandals in recent years have made the corruption of college sports constant front-page news. We profess outrage each time we learn that yet another student-athlete has been taking money under the table. But the real scandal is the very structure of college sports, wherein student-athletes generate billions of dollars for universities and private companies while earning nothing for themselves. Here, a leading civil-rights historian makes the case for paying college athletes

Any thoughts?

So glad to see Clemson take them down yesterday. Their whole schtick is as racist as it comes. It's just proof that the NC$$ is all about the money.