SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Eaves leaving Wisconsin?

Csonked Out

There are multiple reports floating around that Mike Eaves will be leaving the University of Wisconsin for the NHL and the New Jersey Devils and a formal announcement could come as early as Tuesday the 28th. Reports are saying that he wasn't nearly as excited about going to the B10 hockey conference as the AD's were. This is an absolutely huge blow for Wisconsin, if the B10 hockey conference costs Wisconsin Eaves it would be a PR nightmare IMHO. Especially since the biggest AD in favor of this conference was Barry Alvarez. Quotes are bolded below for sources. The next 48 hours should be very telling.

George Falkowski (sp) of News12NJ is reporting on tonight's sports report that Mike Eaves could be named coach as early as Tuesday. No guarantee as Craig Ramsey is supposedly still in the mix, but he thinks it will be Eaves.

ecwiscott Scott Scott

Not to be lost in #NJDevils search is that I'm not sure Eaves was as giddy to leave WCHA to new B10 conf. as B10 athletic directors were.

Wow, as much as I'd hate to see Eaves leave Wisconsin, in a way I'm slightly rooting for it if it's because of the BTHC.

The scary part about this is that Hakstol is on the short list of potential college coaches moving to the NHL, in my opinion. I know he loves UND and has some unfinished business, but he plays the most similar system to most NHL squads in college hockey, and he's a perennial winner. It's hard to turn down an NHL salary as well.

Wow, as much as I'd hate to see Eaves leave Wisconsin, in a way I'm slightly rooting for it if it's because of the BTHC.

The scary part about this is that Hakstol is on the short list of potential college coaches moving to the NHL, in my opinion. I know he loves UND and has some unfinished business, but he plays the most similar system to most NHL squads in college hockey, and he's a perennial winner. It's hard to turn down an NHL salary as well.

Hakstol will leave UND for the NHL, the difference here however is that Eaves has had the international and NHL experience previously as an assistant coach. I see Hakstol being a more serious flight risk in another 3-5 years but not right now, especially after how it worked out for Blais.

Hakstol will leave UND for the NHL, the difference here however is that Eaves has had the international and NHL experience previously as an assistant coach. I see Hakstol being a more serious flight risk in another 3-5 years but not right now, especially after how it worked out for Blais.

I don't disagree and when I say Hak is on the short list, that doesn't mean he'll be gone soon. There are a lot of good coaches out there at all levels, especially assistants already at the NHL level, so in a way it's a bit surprising to see Eaves get the head coaching opportunity in the NHL despite his well-accomplished past.

It could be two years, it could be 20 years, but there's no doubt that if an NHL club is looking to pull a coach from the college ranks, Hak is on the short list.

There are multiple reports floating around that Mike Eaves will be leaving the University of Wisconsin for the NHL and the New Jersey Devils ...

Eaves' coaching philosophy seems to match the organizational philosophy.

Not true. Eaves confirmed today that he hasn't spoken to any NHL teams this summer.

you may very well be right on this. however, how many times in the past have you seen it where a coach is being courted for another position, comes out and says it isn't true and then a few days later he takes the new gig.

If this ever did come to fruition, it would be interesting to see who would be the frontrunner for the job -- Mark Johnson, or Mark Osieki. Gotta believe that Mark Johnson would then be happy he didn't get, or didn't take the Penn State job.

Plus Parise is comfortable with Eaves as coach since he coached the gold medal World Juniors. Maybe that would work in helping to sign Parise.

At one point in time Parise was quoted as saying that Eaves was one of the best coaches that he'd ever played for. Believe it was the year they won the WJC together over in Finland. I'm thinking Parise would like to see Eaves arrive in New Jersey.

Did you not read this? One more try on the linkMy link

The article you guys are linking was written on Saturday and is part of the reason these rumors were spurred. Eaves said Monday he hasn't been contacted. I have no reason not to believe him. He's a straight shooter, if he was considering it, he would have said so or not returned the reporters call.

The article you guys are linking was written on Saturday and is part of the reason these rumors were spurred. Eaves said Monday he hasn't been contacted. I have no reason not to believe him. He's a straight shooter, if he was considering it, he would have said so or not returned the reporters call.

It's strange that you're arguing against any possibility that Eaves might be leaving for the NHL while at the same time posting a link to an article in a UW paper that talks about Eaves possibly leaving for the Devils. It is especially strange considering that article does not quote Eaves anywhere denying this possibility.

It's strange that you're arguing against any possibility that Eaves might be leaving for the NHL while at the same time posting a link to an article in a UW paper that talks about Eaves possibly leaving for the Devils. It is especially strange considering that article does not quote Eaves anywhere denying this possibility.

Now that is funny.

I never said there wasn't a possibility that he would leave. I said I have no reason to believe he isn't telling the truth that he hasn't been contacted by the Devils. Did you even read the article? If not heres a snippet.

University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves dispelled two East Coast newspaper reports that he was being considered for the NHL opening at New Jersey.

Eaves said Monday he's had no contact with the Devils or any other NHL team about leaving his alma mater, where he's coached since 2002.

Eaves attended the NHL Entry Draft in St. Paul, Minn., Friday and Saturday and saw four UW players -- freshman center Joseph Labate (Vancouver), sophomore left winger Michael Mersch (Los Angeles), freshman defenseman Patrick Daly (New Jersey) and freshman center Brad Navin (Buffalo) -- get chosen.

But even with Lamoriello in the Xcel Energy Center, there was no contact, according to Eaves.

"If there was going to be a time (to talk) that would have been it,'' Eaves said.

I never said there wasn't a possibility that he would leave. I said I have no reason to believe he isn't telling the truth that he hasn't been contacted by the Devils. Did you even read the article? If not heres a snippet.

University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves dispelled two East Coast newspaper reports that he was being considered for the NHL opening at New Jersey.

Eaves said Monday he's had no contact with the Devils or any other NHL team about leaving his alma mater, where he's coached since 2002.

Eaves attended the NHL Entry Draft in St. Paul, Minn., Friday and Saturday and saw four UW players -- freshman center Joseph Labate (Vancouver), sophomore left winger Michael Mersch (Los Angeles), freshman defenseman Patrick Daly (New Jersey) and freshman center Brad Navin (Buffalo) -- get chosen.

But even with Lamoriello in the Xcel Energy Center, there was no contact, according to Eaves.

"If there was going to be a time (to talk) that would have been it,'' Eaves said.

i don't know what article you think i'm talking about but the one that you've linked off of several of your posts does not contain any of the text you listed. the only thing in the story at all inline with your claims is a reference to a line in a paper several weeks ago, before this conversation started. i'm not saying eaves hasn't denied being contacted by the devils or the nhl. in fact, i'm inclined to believe he did say that because that's the status quo in situations like this. i'm just saying it's strange you're using this article as proof when the article provides no proof of your claim. here's the entire article for those who don't know what i'm referring to. i've highlighted the one paragraph that eludes to a possible statement by eaves several weeks ago:

University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves has done a lot of winning since returning to Madison to lead his alma mater. In nine seasons behind the Badger bench, Eaves has amassed a .573 winning percentage, one national championship in 2006, and a runner up finish in 2010. Unfortunately for the Badgers, the program may fall victim to it's own success. According too Tom Gulitti of the NorthJersey.com Fire & Ice blog, "There are whispers that Mike Eaves is possibly getting ready to leave the University of Wisconsin." Gulitti said two messages left for Eaves this week were not returned.

The job that Eaves would be leaving for is the head coaching opening for the NHL's New Jersey Devils. That job opened up when Jacques Lemaire retired in April for the 47th time. Eaves name has come up in the past when the Devils have been looking for a coach because of similar coaching philosophies between himself and Devils GM Lou Lamoriello.

Wisconsin has been an NHL factory since Mike Eaves took over the program in 2002. Eaves and the Badgers have placed an amazing 15 players in the NHL over that span. That number is expected to grow once again next season when Brendan Smith (DET), Jake Gardiner (TOR), and Cody Goloubef (CBJ) all could make their NHL debuts. Current players Justin Schultz and Craig Smith are also all but locks to end up in the NHL some day.

More on Eaves potentially leaving for the NHL after the jump.

It's not the first time Eaves has been talked about in conversations about potential NHL head coaches. No stranger to the league, Eaves played in parts of 8 NHL seasons before hanging up the skates for good. Additionally, and more importantly Eaves has NHL coaching experience as an assistant with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where he spent three seasons each.

Eaves name gained traction when this surfaced in Sports Illustrated earlier this year in a feature written by NHL on NBC commentator Pierre McGuire.

"Wisconsin's Mike Eaves is a top NHL coaching prospect. An excellent communicator and a shrewd tactician, Eaves, 54, became the first U.S.-trained coach to win gold at the World Juniors, in Helsinki in 2004."

Another big reason why Eaves name has been floated for the position is because of the known affinity Devils superstar forward and looming free agent Zach Parise has for Eaves. Here are two quotes from Parise that should give you an idea on his thoughts towards the Badgers bench boss.

"Another coach that has coached in the NHL before and I had him for a few international tournaments is Mike Eaves. He is now at Wisconsin and I’ve never been so prepared to face an opponent as when I was playing for him. It may be a little different in an 82-game schedule, but he did a great job of having players understand their role on the team and got them to do that to the best of their ability."

"Great coach, great systems and gets his players to play. Very demanding."

Wisconsin State Journal beat writer Andy Baggot spoke to Mike Eaves about potentially leaving for the NHL a mere two and a half weeks ago. At that time Eaves confirmed to Baggot that he had not received any interest from NHL teams about current coaching openings meaning any talks that might be going on with the Devils have came very recently.

One important note to remember is that Mike Eaves signed a contract extension in late April that is not set to expire until after the 2015-2016 season. That means most likely that the Devils would have to pay a buyout fee to gain his services.

If Eaves were to leave for New Jersey, and I'm not insinuating that he's going to, there would be no shortage of candidates for an opening in Madison. Mark Osiecki (Ohio State head coach), Don Granato (former AHL head coach), Mark Johnson (Badger women's coach), Tony Granato (Penguins assistant), and George Gwozdecky (Denver head coach) are all alumni of the University of Wisconsin.

John Hynes (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, AHL head coach and former UW assistant), Bill Butters (Badger assistant), Ron Rolston (NTDP U18 head coach), Rico Blasi (Miami head coach), Kevin Patrick (Muskegon, USHL head coach, former UW assistant), and Jeff Blashil (Western Michigan head coach) are some other names that could be considered for the job.

It remains to be seen if Eaves has the intentions of ever making the jump to the NHL but if he were to go, he's certainly in the time frame to make the move. At 55 Eaves still has plenty left in the tank but told Baggot two weeks ago that he doesn't see himself coaching into his 70's like Red Berenson at Michigan.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out how flattering it is for the Wisconsin program that Eaves name is held in such high regard that he would be considered for a position like this. It's clear that NHL franchises see what Eaves has done developing players at Wisconsin. The Badgers have been lucky to have Eaves behind the bench for the past nine seasons. Hopefully they have him around for nine more.

late edit: i just realized that you wrote this article. now i'm really confused.

i don't know what article you think i'm talking about but the one that you've linked off of several of your posts does not contain any of the text you listed. the only thing in the story at all inline with your claims is a reference to a line in a paper several weeks ago, before this conversation started. i'm not saying eaves hasn't denied being contacted by the devils or the nhl. in fact, i'm inclined to believe he did say that because that's the status quo in situations like this. i'm just saying it's strange you're using this article as proof when the article provides no proof of your claim. here's the entire article for those who don't know what i'm referring to. i've highlighted the one paragraph that eludes to a possible statement by eaves several weeks ago:

University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves has done a lot of winning since returning to Madison to lead his alma mater. In nine seasons behind the Badger bench, Eaves has amassed a .573 winning percentage, one national championship in 2006, and a runner up finish in 2010. Unfortunately for the Badgers, the program may fall victim to it's own success. According too Tom Gulitti of the NorthJersey.com Fire & Ice blog, "There are whispers that Mike Eaves is possibly getting ready to leave the University of Wisconsin." Gulitti said two messages left for Eaves this week were not returned.

The job that Eaves would be leaving for is the head coaching opening for the NHL's New Jersey Devils. That job opened up when Jacques Lemaire retired in April for the 47th time. Eaves name has come up in the past when the Devils have been looking for a coach because of similar coaching philosophies between himself and Devils GM Lou Lamoriello.

Wisconsin has been an NHL factory since Mike Eaves took over the program in 2002. Eaves and the Badgers have placed an amazing 15 players in the NHL over that span. That number is expected to grow once again next season when Brendan Smith (DET), Jake Gardiner (TOR), and Cody Goloubef (CBJ) all could make their NHL debuts. Current players Justin Schultz and Craig Smith are also all but locks to end up in the NHL some day.

More on Eaves potentially leaving for the NHL after the jump.

It's not the first time Eaves has been talked about in conversations about potential NHL head coaches. No stranger to the league, Eaves played in parts of 8 NHL seasons before hanging up the skates for good. Additionally, and more importantly Eaves has NHL coaching experience as an assistant with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where he spent three seasons each.

Eaves name gained traction when this surfaced in Sports Illustrated earlier this year in a feature written by NHL on NBC commentator Pierre McGuire.

"Wisconsin's Mike Eaves is a top NHL coaching prospect. An excellent communicator and a shrewd tactician, Eaves, 54, became the first U.S.-trained coach to win gold at the World Juniors, in Helsinki in 2004."

Another big reason why Eaves name has been floated for the position is because of the known affinity Devils superstar forward and looming free agent Zach Parise has for Eaves. Here are two quotes from Parise that should give you an idea on his thoughts towards the Badgers bench boss.

"Another coach that has coached in the NHL before and I had him for a few international tournaments is Mike Eaves. He is now at Wisconsin and I

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

This line is too perfect considering the article I've been referring to all along is still linked off the very same post to which I'm replying.

I'm not going to question the intelliegence of a complete stranger and I certainly don't think the structure of either of our posts would indicate that you or I lack intelligence so there's no need to go down that path.

My original observation is accurate and the proof is in every one of your posts since.

I'm done with this nonsense.