SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Sadly I think this is correct. It's the same thinking the NCAA gave when they required UND to protect the Fighting Sioux nickname - which means they continue to make and sell a small amount of the "hostile and abusive" logo. The NCAA knew that if they required UND to retire and never use it the logo and name would become rampant. 

Patent law requires use or it eventually expires.  Nothing earthshaking about NCAAs requirement.

The agreement doesn't say that they have to stop using the ND logo (and certainly doesn't say that they have to stop using the letters N and D).  tSic didn't say that no logos or nicknames used in the past are allowed.  The agreement says that they have to stop using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, and that they have to replace the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo with a new nickname and new logo.  It is spelled out pretty simply in the settlement agreement section printed above.  The ND logo has been a secondary logo for many years.  It can continue to be a secondary logo.  But UND has to choose a new nickname and a new logo to replace Fighting Sioux as the primary nickname.

Your bolded part makes my point, actually.   The settlement assumes (correctly) the Fighting Sioux is the old nickname, and the old logo.   Where in the agreement does it mention primary and secondary names and logos? ???    

One reading of the settlement agreement would say yes, may not have been used.. ever.... BY THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA.  You missed that part.  UND could use Warriors or Tigers, 2 of the most popular nicknames around, because UND has not used them before.

So the ncaa also banned us from going back to the Flickertails?   interesting....I think you're pulling some of this from somewhere other than the settlement agreement.

Folks, I'm listening to a radio talk show right now discussing how Ringling Brothers is dropping elephants acts from their shows in three years because of constant, continual animal rights (PETA) protests. 

The host is talking about how it happened because the majority who support Ringling didn't get in front of it, didn't take it seriously, because they didn't believe it could really happen. And now folks are upset that the decision has been made. 

"Who are these people who complained? Are they < event > fans?" was the question he just posed. 

But that really doesn't matter. The elephants are kicked out of the circus. 

This scenario should ring eerily familiar to all of us. 

Folks, I'm listening to a radio talk show right now discussing how Ringling Brothers is dropping elephants acts from their shows in three years because of constant, continual animal rights (PETA) protests. 

The host is talking about how it happened because the majority who support Ringling didn't get in front of it, didn't take it seriously, because they didn't believe it could really happen. And now folks are upset that the decision has been made. 

"Who are these people who complained? Are they < event > fans?" was the question he just posed. 

I guess the obvious question to ask then is, If fans of the circus continue to wear elephant t-shirts, will PETA sue Ringling and shut them down?  And on what "fair" grounds?

I guess the obvious question to ask then is, If fans of the circus continue to wear elephant t-shirts, will PETA sue Ringling and shut them down?  And on what grounds?

Don't go down a rabbit hole. 

The issue is the world is changing around us. We sat back and didn't believe it. Well, it did. And now, like it or not, we have to live in that changed world. 

Patent law requires use or it eventually expires.  Nothing earthshaking about NCAAs requirement.

Except they could have said "It's hostile and abusive as a school icon stop using it" but the NCAA doesn't want anyone to use it. 

One amusing day in the future ... 

Minnesota Twins front office flunky: "Mr. St. Peter, the MLB league offices just called. They've been taking pressure from PETT* for a long time. Mary Kate and Ashley are leading protests in front of their offices. MLB has decided to ban team names related to twins! What do we do?" 

Dave St. Peter: "Well, we'll just go without a nickname then. We'll be known as the Minnesota MLB Franchise from now on. That'll show 'em!" 

Minnesota Twins front office flunky: "Sheer marketing genius sir! I'll go back and get on those roster moves now." 

*People for the Ethical Treatment of Twins

How appropriate...I can practically hear the Big Top music already - both with Ringling Brothers AND the nickname selection process.

Also, FWIW, can we PLEASE stop interjecting the "why do we have to pick a new nickname?" conversation into these threads on new nicknames? I'm not opposed to staying North Dakota but I do like seeing and hearing what nicknames people actually come up with on their own - good or bad.

• Upvote 1

Except they could have said "It's hostile and abusive as a school icon stop using it" but the NCAA doesn't want anyone to use it. 

That "retain the trademark" was to retain control, a means to the NCAA's ends. That's why they had it written into the agreement. 

Don't go down a rabbit hole. 

The issue is the world is changing around us. We sat back and didn't believe it. Well, it did. And now, like it or not, we have to live in that changed world. 

You're correct, the world is changing.   I said several pages ago, a hundred years from now no one will have a nickname.   Everything is becoming offensive to somebody.  The first time a longhorn breaks a leg running around a football field, or a bulldog dies of heat stroke in the end zone, animal nicknames will come under fire.  

Why play the stupid nickname game at all?

I said several pages ago, a hundred years from now no one will have a nickname.   ... 

Why play the stupid nickname game at all?

Because, not 100 years ago, or 100 years from now, we have to live in the world as it is today, 

I'd rather we lead than follow.      

We missed the boat on that in the current world. 

... a hundred years from now no one will have a nickname.

And you know this to be true. Cool. Can you hook me up with Saturday's PowerBall numbers too? ;)

I'd rather we lead than follow.      

It isn't leading if no one is following you.  And no one is going to go without a nickname in the near future (at least the next decade or 2).

Actually leading would have been one of 2 things.  Either developing very strong relationships with all local tribes to ensure their support to use the name, or dropping the name before it became an issue with the NCAA.