SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I've given numerous other reasons why UND needs to select and begin to market a new moniker and logo.

Not exactly awe inspiring, and it doesn't roll off the tongue. Just add it to the list of reasons why this must be finalized.

I like that (UND on 3) a lot better than this...I'm not sure where I've heard it before, but it's pretty catchy...

36-1269869-1.jpg

I think we can throw most names referencing a group of people out the window. It'll likely be an animal, a force of nature, or some other non-human name. I'm trying to come up with an exhaustive list (including some "?non-offensive?" humans)....

1. Sodbusters :crazy:

2. Homesteaders :crazy:

3. Spirit :crazy:

4. Flames

5. Mustangs

6. Ducks

7. Wildfire

8. Blizzard

9. Big Green :crazy:

10. Reapers

11. Cougars

12. Eagles

13. Hawks

14. Owls

15. Pike

16. Channel Cats

17. Oilers

18. Screaming Weasels :D

19. 89ers

20. Rattlers

21. Paddlefish

22. Pronghorn

23. Bighorns

24. White-Tails

25. Nodaks

26. Mindaks

27. Canucks :whistling:

28. Yeah sure you betchyas

29. Cavalry

30. Flatlanders

31. Aviators/bus drivers of the future ;)

32. Wheat Kings

33. Rivermen

34. Predators

35. Outlaws

36. Legacy

37. Ice

38. Freeze

39. Sundogs :glare:

40. Thunder

41. Aurora

42. Stars

43. Pelicans

44. Vikings

45. Brewers

46. Sugar Kings

47. Barons

48. Miners

49. Goons

50. Tornadoes

51. Perhaps go for more of a corporate sponsor look:

1. Red Bulls

2. Buffalo Wild Wings

3. 3M Sticky Notes

4. American Tires

5. Big Sioux Cafes....

The list is obviously desperate at times. Please feel free to add to or dismantle it. I'm sure (or at least I hope) I missed some good potential names that tie-in to North Dakota, sans the obvious Fighting Sioux.

The screaming weasels would be too indicative of the professors and administrators at UND. Of course, since that's who runs the place and since even the alumni association and athletic department kiss their backsides, perhaps that name is apropos. How about "Wildmen" or "Wild women". Kind of cheesy but it ties into the remoteness of the place and builds upon what people already think of ND. In 1935-36 my grandfather attended St. John's in Collegeville and the football players attempted to haze him and he hospitalized the star running back. The St. Cloud paper referred to him as a "wild man from North Dakota"........

Some others could be "Wranglers" (ties into the cowboy theme), ranch hands, range riders. I still don't think roughnecks is a bad name. It's unique and I don't think anyone else has it. Who cares if it's not representative of eastern ND. The Fighting Sioux really wasn't representative of eastern ND either. They were forcibly placed there but a lot of the fighting (at least with whites) took place further west. If the proposed nicknames are too plebian or "hick" for the faculty of UND, that's all the more reason to choose one of them. Like it or not, Grand Forks and eastern ND will never be a "cultural destination" unless one is of Scandinavian descent.

Chewey: Only problem with your notion? Minnesota NHL franchise moniker is _______.

Agreed. But that's a stupid state of being or state of existence. With "Wildmen", at least it's something human. You can imagine wildmen playing hockey. You can't imagine a state of being or an existence playing hockey. Throw Avalanche right in there with the Wild as another stupid nickname.

I've given numerous other reasons why UND needs to select and begin to market a new moniker and logo.

Another reason is at the 1:50 mark of this:

Not exactly awe inspiring, and it doesn't roll off the tongue. Just add it to the list of reasons why this must be finalized.

Enough of the "moniker" crap. Unless you wear a monocle and use a cigarette holder it's NICKNAME. Ever been around Michigan hockey? They say Go Blue, not Wolverines. Does Minnesota spell GOPHERS when they score? Quick, what's BU's nickname? BC is BC, no one thinks "oh no,we have the Eagles in our regional." We are known as "The Sioux" or North Dakota. We lost "The Sioux", we're STILL North Dakota. Some crap ass,hurry up we need a "moniker", the sky is falling, replacement isn't wanted or needed.

• Upvote 1

That gave me an idea... How about the UND Aliases? Deep down we're still Sioux, but are forced to use an alias...

I'd truncate it to just Alias. (But you know opponents would only use the last syllable.)

I threw "Specter" out there because we'll always be living under the specter of the old logo.

I'd truncate it to just Alias. (But you know opponents would only use the last syllable.)

I threw "Specter" out there because we'll always be living under the specter of the old logo.

oh, I thought maybe it was a tribute to Phil Specter...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's better than the GreenPinks...  (Had to beat an FU fan to that punch...)   :lol:

You could have the men's team called the Mean Green (yeah I know North Texas), and the women's teams could be called the Pink Ladies (think Grease).