SiouxSports.com Forum

Gregoire Gone

nhockey30

I have no idea what your problem is :angry: I agree with you about sioux players playing for the wild. If they can play who cares what college team they played for or where they are from.

Now that you said that, I understand why I'm arguing with you! If you were a fan, it would make you proud that a player on a pro team is from the college that you love and support! Until you understand that................................nevermind

Now that you said that, I understand why I'm arguing with you! If you were a fan, it would make you proud that a player on a pro team is from the college that you love and support! Until you understand that................................nevermind

I am fan of the wild and I could care less if a sioux player is on the team. If he can play that's all that matters .I agree its cool when a player you follow in college makes it to the pros..

Gregoire discusses his decision to explore his options

NYI Point Blank

Reading some of the comments after that article, and some on other boards, like HF, Jason is in a really tough situation. The NYI fans are already hating on the guy, he will be in a hole immediately, in a tough city to play pro sports. What a change it will be from Grand Forks, where he was a king, and loved by all.

Oh Jason, why didn't you just stay in college for one more year, have the time of your life, and then head to the Isles? I remember being a junior and senior in college, I couldn't wait to start in the "real world", make lots of money, etc. Well, now I've been in that world for some time, and look back at college as the best years of my life. You don't realize it at the time, but you really have no meaningful responsibilities. Sure, you have to get up and go to class, study, take tests, but that is nothing compared to job stress, kids, mortgage, metabolism slowing down, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy now, but kids reading this: treasure your time in HS and College!

Reading some of the comments after that article, and some on other boards, like HF, Jason is in a really tough situation. The NYI fans are already hating on the guy, he will be in a hole immediately, in a tough city to play pro sports. What a change it will be from Grand Forks, where he was a king, and loved by all.

Oh Jason, why didn't you just stay in college for one more year, have the time of your life, and then head to the Isles? I remember being a junior and senior in college, I couldn't wait to start in the "real world", make lots of money, etc. Well, now I've been in that world for some time, and look back at college as the best years of my life. You don't realize it at the time, but you really have no meaningful responsibilities. Sure, you have to get up and go to class, study, take tests, but that is nothing compared to job stress, kids, mortgage, metabolism slowing down, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy now, but kids reading this: treasure your time in HS and College!

What you say is very true. It's a time of your life that you really don't want to cut prematurely short, even for $$$$$.

Try telling that to college kids. They think they have it so hard and when the real world comes calling they call mom and dad.

I am a high school teacher, and this is so true it hurts........You wouldn't believe how many former students I have come back to me and tell me that they "have come back from wherever they started college at (many times because it wasn't the right fit of course), taking a couple courses online, working part time, LIVING WITH MY PARENTS."

EDIT*

This happens at least 5-6 times a year.

I would be willing to bet that the players don't really care what the fans think, I read some of the comments and I thought some of the comments were pretty clue less. I doubt the fans that are making these comments have ever seen either player play that much.

I would be willing to bet that the players don't really care what the fans think, I read some of the comments and I thought some of the comments were pretty clue less. I doubt the fans that are making these comments have ever seen either player play that much.

I would agree with you on not caring what fans think, what we write on message boards and such, but what a contrast it will be for him if he plays for the NYI.

One difference, he will be playing in front of less fans than he did at the Ralph, as the Islanders ranked dead last in the NHL with an average of 11,059/game (ESPN.com). UND had 11,756 (collegehockeynews.com). Stats are for the 2010-11 season.

I would agree with you on not caring what fans think, what we write on message boards and such, but what a contrast it will be for him if he plays for the NYI.

One difference, he will be playing in front of less fans than he did at the Ralph, as the Islanders ranked dead last in the NHL with an average of 11,059/game (ESPN.com). UND had 11,756 (collegehockeynews.com). Stats are for the 2010-11 season.

That is a good point... Maybe he got spoiled playing for the Sioux... I think the Islanders are a team on the rise with a lot of good young talent but maybe he doesn't see a future in their plans.

Gregoire will play for the highest bidder, and you can't blame him. Instead of an entry level contract around 500-600K, he will get something around 1-1.5k for a couple of years. Now he could start for a number of teams, now does he want to play for an Islander/Oiler/Thrasher/ "Jets" team, I would think if the offer is there he would. He just wants a one way contract, so he gets paid NHL dollars regaurdless where he plays. It would be fun to follow him if he played for the Jets. I would be happy if the Rangers called him, even though he would probably start in Hartford, with his hands he would soon rise to the big club. It's pretty simple, score and you will get called up!!!

I agree with Goon, it won't be to long before the Islanders / Oilers become contenders. If you keep getting the top first round pick, it makes a difference.

I agree with Goon, it won't be to long before the Islanders / Oilers become contenders. If you keep getting the top first round pick, it makes a difference.

I watched the Islanders play a few times last year and they are a year or two away from being in the playoffs and making noise, the Islanders have some great young players... John Tavares, Kyle Okposo, Michael Grabner, Blake Comeau are just hitting their stride just to name a few...

I watched the Islanders play a few times last year and they are a year or two away from being in the playoffs and making noise, the Islanders have some great young players... John Tavares, Kyle Okposo, Michael Grabner, Blake Comeau are just hitting their stride just to name a few...

And if they get goaltending, they'll be great.

I heard they signed this DePietro guy to a big contract. Isn't he like.... awesome or something?

Look.

The Islanders have pretty good talent up front but... they're defensively meh at best and their goaltending.... Dear Lord.. Al Montoya/Kevin Poulin/heck even former UAA goaltender Nathan Lawson saw time. I like the Oilers goaltending more than these guys.

I don't buy the cliche that defense wins you championships (defense doesn't score goals. It just prevents games from being high scoring), but I do buy that balanced teams make championship teams.

That balance comes from consistency in all areas (D, F, Goaltending), a good mix of effective veterans and up and coming youth, solid offense, solid defense, and timely and solid goaltending. Look, JS Giguere isn't the best goaltender, even when he won it all. He was just good at the right times that year and the team in front of him did the rest.

Same with the 95 Devils, the 2004 Lightning, and countless others I'm sure.

The Islanders aren't the Oilers, but they're not 1-2 years away from anything but mediocrity. They're improving, yes, but they're going to have to get more key elements before they can do anything meaningful.

One thing to think about with this - you have to get this talent and retain this talent. It does them no good if they draft high draft picks, let them develop, mature and prove themselves for a few years in the NHL during their entry-level contracts, and then bolt to another team.

I have no idea what these guys' contract statuses are - but I'm just sayin'. Not a lot of guys are going to want to stick it out on crappy teams. If they're good enough, break into the league and prove themselves they'll want to go to another team eventually. So it's up to the GM's to put together that talent and build something there before these guys bolt. Then they have to pay to keep them.