SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

We pay for our season tickets well in advance of the season--they are due in February. I just paid mine. Consequently, it would be pretty difficult to jack up the price for a certain game, and non-season ticket purchasers would be PO'd if they paid more the season ticket holders one would think.

Most of the big games would be scheduled well in advance, probably years. For instance, you already know in advance when you are playing Montana and when you play UNI at home. If both UND and NDSU could change things around to play in 2012 it would be a special circumstance, but it would be tough to go to season ticket holders that had already played.

And don't non-season ticket holders already pay extra for single games? They do in most places. That is one of the percs for buying season tickets, getting a better price per game for buying the entire season in advance.

Yes, for next season it would be to late. But it's probably something that the Bison Athletic Department should consider for future schedules.

why, i think ndsu's football budget is just fine, there are only six home games a season they are all very entertaining

why, i think ndsu's football budget is just fine, there are only six home games a season they are all very entertaining

So you are ok with NDSU basically "throwing away" a few hundred thousand dollars that they could make by doing "premium game pricing." Ok, thats fine. Just as an fyi, not sure of the percentage, but I would venture to say that a majority of schools in DI have "premium game pricing" figured in to their ticket packages. Since I'm not a fan of NDSU, I'm fine with them not making the extra revenue that could go to Dome upgrades, indoor practice field, etc.

So you are ok with NDSU basically "throwing away" a few hundred thousand dollars that they could make by doing "premium game pricing." Ok, thats fine. Just as an fyi, not sure of the percentage, but I would venture to say that a majority of schools in DI have "premium game pricing" figured in to their ticket packages. Since I'm not a fan of NDSU, I'm fine with them not making the extra revenue that could go to Dome upgrades, indoor practice field, etc.

I am surprised they haven't done that already with the SDSU and UNI games. UND has done it with USD in the past. Hockey does it with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver. I am sure basketball will do it with the Montana's.

because i like the fact that i can bring a family of four to a sporting event without calling my banker first, after the subs and dippin dots, pretzels and cokes daddy is shelling out well over a hondo every other saturday, not to mention the suds tailgating

I'm not saying it would be a popular decision, but if the opportunity is there, they should take advantage it. It's typically only done for 1-2 games out of the year which makes it easier for most people to accept.

I'm not saying it would be a popular decision, but if the opportunity is there, they should take advantage it. It's typically only done for 1-2 games out of the year which makes it easier for most people to accept.

UND did it several years ago for hockey games against Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, and maybe Omaha. And guess what, people still paid the extra few dollars for those games and the athletic department benifited. If you don't want to pay the extra money for "premium games" someone else will. NDSU would be crazy not to capatalize on this. Their football stock is pretty high right now. Might as well benifit from it right?

UND did it several years ago for hockey games against Minnesota, Denver, Wisconsin, and maybe Omaha. And guess what, people still paid the extra few dollars for those games and the athletic department benifited. If you don't want to pay the extra money for "premium games" someone else will. NDSU would be crazy not to capatalize on this. Their football stock is pretty high right now. Might as well benifit from it right?

UND still does this for hockey and football games, not so sure about bball and vball as I haven't gone to as many of those games the last few years. As you said, it's all about supply and demand. There are many who would pay premium for a NDSU-UND game or other "premium" games.

UND still does this for hockey and football games, not so sure about bball and vball as I haven't gone to as many of those games the last few years. As you said, it's all about supply and demand. There are many who would pay premium for a NDSU-UND game or other "premium" games.

Tickets range for bball $7-$12 except NDSU $12-$20.

Tickets range for bball $7-$12 except NDSU $12-$20.

I did attend the bball game and paid $19 for a ticket. Granted I went with my brother and a friend (no kids). I had no problem paying the "extra" fee for that game...especially considering the result of the game! :)

There has been alot of talk about rival games disapearing. My question is were are they now? We have Basketball starting up; however, the sioux are not playing minn in the near future south dakota is swiching to a totally different confrence and NDSU/UND football is no where in site. I say Play rival games as the sioux and start back the transition. Any more bumps will only make it harder.

There has been alot of talk about rival games disapearing. My question is were are they now? We have Basketball starting up; however, the sioux are not playing minn in the near future south dakota is swiching to a totally different confrence and NDSU/UND football is no where in site. I say Play rival games as the sioux and start back the transition. Any more bumps will only make it harder.

UND will still have NDSU just not yet in football, but we will now have the Montana's to be our newest rival.

You can't use the name as you pick and choose. If you use the name at all you remain under NCAA sanctions. Ask Dale Lennon about the NCAA sanctions and how much they will hurt UND, have already started hurting UND. He has a letter that will be in the Grand Forks Herald and a story for the paper along with it. Both are already up on grandforksherald.com. He says it is time to drop the nickname and logo.

Montana really. They play Montana state not North Dakota. Let us play our rivals and play for our great coaches Lennon and Robuck and then and only then take the name. We are North Dakota not NCAA slaves.

Actually since its their rules...we are and will always be NCAA slaves.

I am surprised they haven't done that already with the SDSU and UNI games. UND has done it with USD in the past. Hockey does it with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Denver. I am sure basketball will do it with the Montana's.

I would guess they are waiting until the Dome is selling out every game and there is a waiting list for season tickets.

I was told by one of our Bison friends that their season ticket holders wouldn't stand for that, and it was too confusing.

Love how you added the last part just to be an a-hole. :)

There is nothing confusing about it, I only asked where does the "premium" tag begin and end? Put the premium price on the UND game and now UND, SDSU, UNI, USD, SIU and homecoming all have the possibility of being "premium" games. No need to price gouge just to get an extra buck.

I would guess they are waiting until the Dome is selling out every game and there is a waiting list for season tickets.

Nothing has been officially announced yet, but there have been many discussions about where the season tickets would be capped.

What is a reasonable guess? 12,000?

Love how you added the last part just to be an a-hole. :)

There is nothing confusing about it, I only asked where does the "premium" tag begin and end? Put the premium price on the UND game and now UND, SDSU, UNI, USD, SIU and homecoming all have the possibility of being "premium" games. No need to price gouge just to get an extra buck.

It's business. Supply and demand. If there is a good chance to make some extra money you should at least consider it. But in most cases you will probably have a couple of games per year that would logically fit.

I think dome tickets go for around $20. bump it up to 25 for UND, and you make an extra 100,000. Then the next year you give up 400,000 in ticket sales to go to grand forks. Plus UND would't even be the biggest game of the year, that would normally be UNI or SDSU. should those games be premium as well?

Any home-home situation is basically a six figure handout from NDSU football to UND football. It's pretty clear why they aren't in favor of it. Both teams would probably make more money if NDSU just paid UND 250k to come to the fargodome every year.

I think dome tickets go for around $20. bump it up to 25 for UND, and you make an extra 100,000. Then the next year you give up 400,000 in ticket sales to go to grand forks. Plus UND would't even be the biggest game of the year, that would normally be UNI or SDSU. should those games be premium as well?

Any home-home situation is basically a six figure handout from NDSU football to UND football. It's pretty clear why they aren't in favor of it. Both teams would probably make more money if NDSU just paid UND 250k to come to the fargodome every year.

UND gets $20 extra per ticket for hockey games against Minnesota and $10-15 against Wisconsin and Denver. I think that you can get more than $5 for a game between UND and NDSU. And you are forgetting that NDSU probably has to pay their opponent if they are playing someone other than UND for that game. The average D I school is going to want somewhere around $100,000 for a game. That comes off that $400,000 (plus other game day expenses like renting the dome and paying employees). Over a 2 year period it will come out pretty close to a wash economically, and it's possible that NDSU could come out ahead because there is a better chance of selling all of those tickets playing UND than playing someone like Drake or Wagner.

There has been alot of talk about rival games disapearing. My question is were are they now? We have Basketball starting up; however, the sioux are not playing minn in the near future south dakota is swiching to a totally different confrence and NDSU/UND football is no where in site. I say Play rival games as the sioux and start back the transition. Any more bumps will only make it harder.Do not say Montana can be our new rival befcause it will not happon. It will take years to get it to the same level as UND/ NDSU, UND/ MINN., AND UND/SOUTH DAKOTA.

UND gets $20 extra per ticket for hockey games against Minnesota and $10-15 against Wisconsin and Denver. I think that you can get more than $5 for a game between UND and NDSU. And you are forgetting that NDSU probably has to pay their opponent if they are playing someone other than UND for that game. The average D I school is going to want somewhere around $100,000 for a game. That comes off that $400,000 (plus other game day expenses like renting the dome and paying employees). Over a 2 year period it will come out pretty close to a wash economically, and it's possible that NDSU could come out ahead because there is a better chance of selling all of those tickets playing UND than playing someone like Drake or Wagner.

at an extra $20 a game, that would be $300,000, roughly the cost of a forgone game. NDSU might break even monetarily. On the other hand, every other year UND quadruples it's revenue from a game. Why would they agree to this give up a homegame ever other year for a wash financially that helps out a rival recruiting program?

I would rather see both teams arrange home-homes with more national programs than each other, especially since starting in two years, or maybe even next year, they will be meeting in the playoffs most years anyway?