SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Powerplay

It's more fun Drunk

So the Sioux powerplay has been well not very good this year. I will say it got better last weekend but still it sucks. Im not a stat guy but i go to all the games and i cant help but notice the lack of size in UND Forwards in the past few years. Remember Lee Goren, goals were automatic on the PP with him out front. Colby probably should never play on the point again on a powerplay and Massen should get his ass off the bench or not even dressing and get out front of the net on the POwerplay....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This dreadful PP has a lot to do with the system they're being taught, imo. In other words, what the coaches are teaching them. There's no excuse why much lesser skilled teams like SCSU this year, & MSU-Mankato last year, are so proficient & we're so awful considering the amount of talent we have. They probably practice it a lot but aren't teaching the right things.

Another poster made a good point when he observed the d-men not playing the opposite points (making it more difficult to get off quick shots), players not getting into position to support the puck (standing around), too much cute passing & not enough shots & guys in front of the net, etc. Just the little things that add up. The 3 coaches probably have upwards of 100 years of combined experience in the game so you'd think they could remedy this little deficiency...

This dreadful PP has a lot to do with the system they're being taught, imo. In other words, what the coaches are teaching them. There's no excuse why much lesser skilled teams like SCSU this year, & MSU-Mankato last year, are so proficient & we're so awful considering the amount of talent we have. They probably practice it a lot but aren't teaching the right things.

Another poster made a good point when he observed the d-men not playing the opposite points (making it more difficult to get off quick shots), players not getting into position to support the puck (standing around), too much cute passing & not enough shots & guys in front of the net, etc. Just the little things that add up. The 3 coaches probably have upwards of 100 years of combined experience in the game so you'd think they could remedy this little deficiency...

Personally, I think it's just plain bad luck. The chances they have been creating are good, the puck just hasn't gone into the net. Good things are happening... the points are taking more quick shots, and the forwards are in deep gettin the pucks out to the blueliners. If anything were to change on the PP I'd like to see Parise, Bochenski, Schneider, Murray, and Fuher. I don't feel the 4 forwards/1 D-man is doing the job, and I think with players like Bina, Fuher, and Jones, who all have good shots, we should be playing 2 d-men. This also might help cut-down the SHG's we've given up. If I remembe correctly, both were given up when forwards were deep in our own zone. Now, I'm not a hockey coach, and I don't pretend to be smarter than any of the hockey staff at UND, but I think that if this system isn't producing goals, either it's not being executed correctly, or it's just not working anymore. Hell, they've nothing to lose, they might as well experiment a little, eh?

SFiP touched on my opinion. I agree that it is definitely the coaches. I've watched Sioux hockey through thick and thin and I have also watched the NHL.

Take the Detroit Red Wings PP for example. Perennially one of the top PP teams every year. Yes, some of that has to do with talent, but I think we have talent. But one thing is certain. At least one player is ALWAYS rushing the net or at least planting himself relative to the puck in front of the net. Putting someone, even Smaby or Greene, in front of the net puts a screen in place and puts the screener among the first to rebounds, which is the biggest reason why we aren't scoring on the power play. We aren't getting the rebounds.

Yes, we are pretty conservative on the power play, being extra cautious not to give up any sort of rush for the PK team. However, we are agressive on all other types of play. Let's be more aggressive and send players like Stafford, McMahon, Bochenski, Ryan Hale, Genoway, and Prpich to the front of the net. If we do that, they will have to dedicate a dman just for him, which deminishes the crowds in the corners too.

One of the things I noticed during the Minnesota series was that the PP unit still spent too much time working the puck in the Minnesota zone, and not enough time taking shots on goal. A "pretty" PP is "nice" but it sucks if it doesn't produce points. I'd rather have a crew of three bigger forwards, maybe Money, Stafford, Prpich, Porter, etc., in there who can go after rebounds in the corners or stand in front of the net, than have them working the blue line. Guys like Schneider and Jones, and maybe Fuher, should bolster the forwards from the blue line and take the shots that pop out toward them, and flatten anybody trying a breakaway.

Just shoot the f'ing puck ... :0:silly:

I agree that some teams do have success with a big man in front of the net. Look at BC, they had a great power play. Who did they park in front of the net? Brian Boyle, the guy is a freak, he is 6'7". Is that the answer to our power play problems, I don't know. We have had chances, and I think we will start getting some bounces to go our way.

I think our forwards have plenty of size. From the few games I have watched it seems to me the Sioux have had ample opportunity to get the puck on net, just haven't got it in for some reason. I also agree something must be missing, because a team like SCSU and make the pretty passes and bury the puck yet we seem to struggle to get the ugly goal.

Still, I think this is more coincidence right now that we are not scoring on the PP, than poor systems. We seem to just not bury the puck. Frankly, that concerns me like our scoring drought at the end of the last year. Fortunately we're scoring well even strength...

Put a BIG "D" man in front of the net (i.e. Greene or Smaby) and let them set the screen/pick, let the shots go and wham! have Zach, Bo or Brady clean up!!!! PP is NOT rocket science!

You beat me to it. I was going to suggest planting Greene in front of the net on the PP. Who is going to be able to move him? That is right, no one. He is big and his job is to move people out of the crease, he would cause so much havoc in front of the net. The goalie is not going to be able to see what is going on and Greene will tie maybe two D-men for the opposing team! Someone should call in to the coaches show and suggest this...

I think our PP is 50/50...

50% of it is dedicated to getting the goal... the other 50% is equally tuned to preventing a SH goal.

Like Deano said before the Minnesota series... he isn't worried about it if they are scoring almost 5 goals a game w/o it. Guess he has a point...

:silly::0

Is it just me or does anyone else think a better choice in front of the net would be someone who knows how to score, like Bo, or Massen, or Genoway or at least someone NOT a defensive defenseman?

Dang it, dagies, I already forwarded the thread to the hockey office so the coaches could use it to fix the PP, then you go and put another idea on here. Is everyone done now so I can send it to Blais again?

Is it just me or does anyone else think a better choice in front of the net would be someone who knows how to score, like Bo, or Massen, or Genoway or at least someone NOT a defensive defenseman?

I agree. All size does is create a screen, if your going to plant someone in front of the net they have to have soft hands. Most goals are going to be off rebounds, to get those goals you need quick reflexes and the ability to accurately shoot the puck without alot of space to work in. It is harder than it looks to lift the puck over a sprawled out goalie from less than a foot away.

I also agree with the above post about Genoway, he should not be on the point. Andy S. was on the FAN this morning and said DB changed the powerplay around in practice this week - they are now working on an umbrella w/ ZP playing QB.

I am not am expert, but I was going to try to explain, until I found this link.

Umbrella Powerplay

Nice, maybe you should send that to the entire Sioux team/staff? :silly:

Although, it is always easier to judge from where we sit, isn't it? :0

Seriously though, I don't ever remember us having this many problems on the PP. Especially at home. There was a time when it was almost a given we would get a goal out of the PP. I guess when Panzer/Lundbohm and then Bayda left, our PP sucess went with them?!?

I'd like an expert to explain how the umbrella works.

This is from one of my coaching manuals. It briefly explains the five most common powerplays. The umbrella is #2 it is called the umbrella becuase the 5 offensive zone players look like an umbrella when in position. Basically nobody is in front of the net goal is to work the puck around the perimeter and sneak someone (usually weak side forward) into the slot for a 1-timer. Upon shooting the umbrella collapses to the net for any rebound.

1. OVERLOAD

This is a good puck possession formation to start the power play in and all of the other formations can be started from this formation. The overload is also an effective way to play after the initial attack in even strength situations. The overload or Czech power play creates a three on two on one side of the ice.

* The plays usually start from the hash marks at the half boards. One forward supports from below the goal line on the strong side and the other forward gets open between the dot and the mid slot on the weak side. The defensemen support from the blue line. This formation creates many passing triangles and all five attackers are threats to score.

* When the puck is at the point, the forward below the goal line moves to the front of the net and screens, the strong side forward is an outlet pass option and rebounder and the weak side forward gets into position for a one time shot.

2. THE UMBRELLA

In the umbrella power play the idea is to get the puck to the middle of the ice at the point.

* When the defenseman is in the middle with the puck the other defenseman and strong side forward go to the top of the circle and form a high triangle.

* The other two forwards play in the low slot area.

* From this formation shots can be taken or passes made to the players at the top of the face-off circle above the dots. Two players are in low and they can screen, redirect, one time shoot or rebound.

2. THE SPREAD OUR POWER PLAY

The spread power play is simply a wide 2-1-2 in the offensive end. Two forwards are positioned below the dots on each side and one forward is in the mid slot.

* The spread causes problems for the defense because there are four natural triangles to pass the puck in and the player in the mid slot area causes the defense to over compensate when on the weak side and either frees the weak side point or leaves the mid slot player open.

*The spread is very effective on a 5-3 situation, especially when a pass is made straight down from the point to a low player on the strong side.

4. SLOT SET POWER PLAY

The slot set power play sets up on the half boards with one player behind the goal line and one player in the low slot in front of the net. The two defensemen play the point.

* When the puck goes to the point the player behind the net screens and the slot man moves to the weak side for a one timer or rebound.

* The slot set is similar to the overload but the weak side forward is usually a big player whose main job is to screen the goalie and tip shots.

5. THE 1-3-1 POWER PLAY

The 1-3-1 Power Play was developed in Finland. It combines the benefits of all of the power plays and is probably the hardest to defend against.

* The slot set creates four triangles to pass around and take one time shots from.

* The point player must be very skilled with the puck, a good passer and have an effective shot.

* This power play is very effective against the box penalty killing. The 1-3-1 gives more attack options than the other power plays but has a higher risk because the last man has the puck.