SiouxSports.com Forum

Music At the Ralph

It's more fun Drunk

I think this weekend was great music wise. However, they could turn up the music a little during pre game warmups. At times, it gets soft.

Anyone notice how little the band played this weekend? I think that's a good thing until they get more practice time. Not enough beer song though. In any case, the video intro on Saturday was awesome.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would stop playing during the pregame. They can play when the players come out or whatever, but then they should shut up. How are we supposed to taunt the players with that stupid music blaring?

I agree, I hate it when they can't hear me commenting on their sister's "performance" the night before ??? .

Also, they need to stop trying to be part of the sieve cheer, seriously...they're never in cync with the student section, and slow down on the beer song, they play it way too fast.

I agree, I hate it when they can't hear me commenting on their sister's "performance" the night before ??? .

Also, they need to stop trying to be part of the sieve cheer, seriously...they're never in cync with the student section, and slow down on the beer song, they play it way too fast.

Exactly.. THe sieve cheer used to be pretty good about 4 years ago. The band has single handedly ruined the sieve cheer.

The band is great - lay off. Until you guys are in the band, practicing daily, not having enough seats, and being told when you can and can't play by REA officials, don't comment. These are kids who are working their a... off for one credit. If they are playing in an away game, they are forced to raise the money to get them there themselves. No other group of kids on this campus has to raise money for a class. No other 1 credit class requires this many hours a day either. They are in practice three time a week for an hour and a half, they play how many games a week, and other extra things like parades, ect... How many of you would put that much time in for 1 lousy credit?

If you think that the band needs to be better, talk to the State Higher Ed board. Make the band fully funded by the state, make the class more than one credit. Treat these kids with respect, not ridicule.

Remember a lot of these kids read this message board, and your comments are a direct hit to someone who is trying. If you can do better, sign up next year, I am sure they would love to have more particapants, but remember you will not get any respect, and will have to work harder than you expect......

The band is great - lay off. Until you guys are in the band, practicing daily, not having enough seats, and being told when you can and can't play by REA officials, don't comment. These are kids who are working their a... off for one credit. If they are playing in an away game, they are forced to raise the money to get them there themselves. No other group of kids on this campus has to raise money for a class. No other 1 credit class requires this many hours a day either. They are in practice three time a week for an hour and a half, they play how many games a week, and other extra things like parades, ect... How many of you would put that much time in for 1 lousy credit?

If you think that the band needs to be better, talk to the State Higher Ed board. Make the band fully funded by the state, make the class more than one credit. Treat these kids with respect, not ridicule.

Remember a lot of these kids read this message board, and your comments are a direct hit to someone who is trying. If you can do better, sign up next year, I am sure they would love to have more particapants, but remember you will not get any respect, and will have to work harder than you expect......

wow, a little touchy on the whole band issue. If you can't take a little criticism, then don't come on this site.

Good for them. They are practicing and some of them still suck, that means some of them need to practice more. Don't allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to play in the band then. If they are gonna play in the band, they need to be good. I suck at playing, I realize this and therefore am not in the band. TO say I can't comment because I don't do it is ridiculous. That is like saying we can't criticize the hockey team if they play poorly and without any heart because I couldn't do better. Well no duh! That is why I'm in the stands and not out on the ice.

This will date me but when I was a kid my dad took me to the games in the "Old Barn". The band back then was the Phi Delt pep band and they would march in to the arena before the game playing "When the Saints Come Marching In" I was young enough that I thought it was the UND fight song! The also played the beer song from that era, "The Beer Barrel Polka" and a lot of others I can't remember, but they were very good and when the came in just before game time playing the "Saints", the crowd went nuts.

DG

wow, a little touchy on the whole band issue. If you can't take a little criticism, then don't come on this site.

I'm always a big fan of reminding people that whatever they write about someone is likely to make it back to that person. That's not to say posters shouldn't be critical, but it bothers me when posters hiding behind relatively anonymous aliases say things that they wouldn't actually say to someone's face.

That said, I don't think any band member will be shocked to learn that some people don't like the band and think they're not good. Though never at the college level, I was a pep band geek in high school (shocking, isn't it?), and certainly knew that a lot of people didn't like the band.

I can't believe they mike the brass -- that's just wrong. It's also unfortunately common for pep band trumpets to try to maximize volume rather than quality (yes it is a tradeoff).

I respect your point of view, but do not apologize for not liking the band.  I have actually been a vocal critic of them and have no problem saying so on here or in public.  All my friends give me such a hard time because I have always been a vocal critic of the band.  Do I think they are bad?  Not at all.  I enjoy the atmosphere they create at certain games, but I do not think their presence is needed at every single home game.  I guess only positive opinions about the band are acceptable on here.

I don't think that's what I said at all. :silly: I was just saying that I thought UNDProud's reminder was timely (that people are likely to read what is written about them). In fact, I kind of thought I was defending your criticism by pointing out that no band member is likely to be crushed to discover that there's someone who doesn't like the band.

Everybody has a right to complain, but some of it's just getting to be nitpicking. We need to have some perspective on these problems. I got some of that Friday night.

I talked to the parents of a UND student right before the game. They're high school classmates of mine who drove 500 miles from Pierre, SD, to visit their son and attend the games with SCSU.

They frequently drive up here for hockey and football games. And when the new REA Sports Center is done, they plan to drive up for basketball games. Although neither of them attended UND, they are huge Sioux fans, which was clearly evident from the green and white clothing they wore emblazoned with the Sioux logo.

They think people who live in Grand Forks are the luckiest people alive. Not only does UND consistently field outstanding athletic teams, but we also get to watch them in perform in top-notch facilities that are the envy of many larger schools in the country.

That doesn't mean that the REA and UND are perfect. It doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement. It doesn't invalidate anyone's complaint.

But we should be more appreciative of what we have. We shouldn't be so quick to criticize people for trying to do their jobs when they have to balance several different competing interests. We shouldn't go out of our way rip people who are volunteering their time to help the team and improve the arena's atmosphere.

Oh, yes, that couple from Pierre? The reason I met them before the game was to give them a hockey stick autographed by all the Sioux players. They took it back to South Dakota to give to a high school hockey player who lost a leg to bone cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

Have some perspective. That's all I'm saying.

as the common man says about pa and dubay's show, nothing but "duckies and bunnies"

We do have great facilities and are always fielding teams who are competitive, but just because people do voice their concerns over certain issues, does not mean they are not appreciative of how great we have it here.

I really don't want an environment where everything is great, and we just sit here and nod our heads in favor of what UND, the REA, and others tell us.

UNDProud-

I was IN THE BAND at one point. For an entire season no doubt. And I can stand with Diggler in saying that some of the band sucked. I sucked, that's why I quit! It isn't about fundraising or what they put up with at the Ralph. Everyone knows the Ralph's viewpoint on students and their programs (If we can't make money off of it, screw it). I am against removing the band from the arena, but I am for professionalizing the band.

Look at it this way. When I was in the band back in 1998-1999, we didn't have the "Pride of the North" marching band as it is today at the football games. It was just a ragtag group similar to the hockey band. Now, they whipped everyone into shape, made them practice, started them marching, started making them look sharp, and now no one complains about the football band.

The problem is, the band is trying to make the hockey band like the football band and that just doesn't work. Not only that, there is a perception among the brass that you have to blow hard to be heard. It was that way when I was in the hockey band. That's the main reason why people think they suck. Have the trumpets stop blowing hard and concentrate on getting the notes right, eliminate showing off, and the band will improve a lot and their playing time will increase.

It was mentioned about a "Pep Band" being at the Old Barn. Well, Retro is in. I think the hockey band should be an entirely seperate entity from the Pride of the NOrth and have different standards. I think it should have a pep band feel to it rather than the marching band feel we have currently. They should mike everyone (which would eliminate the brass overblowing), or just the woodwinds and then have some overall mikes turned down to compensate. They should definitely not mike the drums. They should play pep band songs and crowd favorites and eliminate the crappy filler songs like Cheryl Crow. I heard a pep band version of "Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction that would be a good addition to the repertoire.

No one wants the band to be eliminated, they want the band to correct itself, hold itself to higher standards, and be more in tune with what the students are up to. The last part is really hard because of the location of the band relative to the meat of the student section, but it needs to be done. Oh, and a lot of times, we played at the hockey games with just one of the students as director. Wrongo! We should have a director who can make it to every game or install a student who will do it all the time. No half and half.

Hey everyone, look on the bright side. The drummers aren't playing that same old "drum quintet" thing that rang in my ears during the last years of the old REA. Now THAT was something to complain about. They played it so much that rythymly-challenged people like myself could play it in their sleep.

As far as the band sucking... I wouldn't go that far. Their not some performing orchestra for pete sake, they're a pep band. That's what they sound like... loud, fun, PEPPY!

(the old K-Lite pep band back in '87 was a little loud in the brass too, but they were still fun!)

I really don't want an environment where everything is great, and we just sit here and nod our heads in favor of what UND, the REA, and others tell us.

Who does? I'm guessing that of the total number of fans who attend games on a regular basis, the percentage who'd be pleased with a sedate atmosphere is a very small minority. Contrary to popular belief, I sincerely doubt that those few people will be allowed to dictate the type of atmosphere they desire.

And I just I love how the issue of atmosphere is almost always framed in terms of either it's anything goes or it's nothing at all, as if it's not possible to find any suitable middle ground. :silly:

And I just I love how the issue of atmosphere is almost always framed in terms of either it's anything goes or it's nothing at all, as if it's not possible to find any suitable middle ground. :silly:

I actually feel that right now, there is a nice middle ground. Haven't heard too much of an uproar over the students seats this year, but give it a minute, that will change.

I actually feel that right now, there is a nice middle ground. Haven't heard too much of an uproar over the students seats this year, but give it a minute, that will change.

I guarantee it will change. I have heard repeatedly that the AD wants to make all the upper bowl season ticket seats reserved as well. So yeah, it will change if that rumor is true.

The band is one of the things that make the college game so much bettter than the pro game. I think the band should be heard from more not less. There should be a definite college atmosphere. The fight song should be heard much more often. It sometimes seems that the REA officials get a little too into the high tech features of the arena. They seem to beat you over the head with them, where a much more subdued use would be better. Instead of all the piped in music (which makes it seem like a pro arena), have the band play school songs or "In Heaven There is no Beer", etc. and use the fascia ring to display the lyrics. In this way you use a high tech feature to enhance the collegiate atmosphere instead of just having a gratuitous display of high tech features. If changes need to be made in order to make the band better or at least sound better (different miking strategies, etc.), fine, but there should never be a Sioux hockey game in the REA without the band IMHO. I would love to see the student section turn to the band and shout "fight song!!!", in order to get them to play it, especially in key situations, like say during a stoppage in play after the Sioux have beeen heavily pressuring the opposition.

The band is one of the things that make the college game so much bettter than the pro game. I think the band should be heard from more not less. There should be a definite college atmosphere. The fight song should be heard much more often. It sometimes seems that the REA officials get a little too into the high tech features of the arena. They seem to beat you over the head with them, where a much more subdued use would be better. Instead of all the piped in music (which makes it seem like a pro arena), have the band play school songs or "In Heaven There is no Beer", etc. and use the fascia ring to display the lyrics. In this way you use a high tech feature to enhance the collegiate atmosphere instead of just having a gratuitous display of high tech features. If changes need to be made in order to make the band better or at least sound better (different miking strategies, etc.), fine, but there should never be a Sioux hockey game in the REA without the band IMHO. I would love to see the student section turn to the band and shout "fight song!!!", in order to get them to play it, especially in key situations, like say during a stoppage in play after the Siioux have beeen heavily pressuring the opposition.

Like I said earlier, say anything bad you want about any player for the Sioux, but do not, I repeat, DO NOT say anything bad about the band.