SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. St. Kloud (Nov 14th and 15th)

Superman0099

I haven't seen them but expect a team that feels like they are big underdogs with nothing to lose, no expectations. My take is they are right now looking at themselves as a team without any stars, very young, so just go out and play with reckless abandon and see what happens. Lo and behold they win a bunch of games. Combine that with some decent goaltending and it becomes a scary team to play.

They haven't played a lot of good teams, but when you win 2 games at the DECC to me that says they are more than a flash in the pan. One win in Duluth I might think is a fluke, not 2. They're doing something right.

Better be ready to play this weekend. Still, I expect a sweep.

I think they are like the Twins and the 1995 Devils. No one thinks they have anything on the team to value and lo and behold, they're winning games. Sure, they're not blowing people out of the water, but a win is a win is a win.

I still forecast a sweep, but I also think this series holds the greatest chance for bad things to happen to the Sioux. No margin for error now.

Still, I expect a sweep.

I worry about this weekend, but it feels like time to expect sweeps at home. We've spent a few years now worrying about the Sioux's opponent; perhaps we've now reached the point where the opponents need to worry more about the Sioux.

I like that the team is scoring goals. Feels like the old days.

On October 16th, one day prior to SCSU's opener with Wisconsin, I was talking with Brad Wilner about his team. He was surprised that they were picked 8th, but he said they did lose quite a bit, but they also had some great players returning and were very pleased with their new players. He said the chemistry on this team is better than it's been in past years. He didn't feel they had a weakness on the team. Everyone was on the same page and he felt their depth was good. He was very confident, more-so than in past years. The last thing he said to me was "just wait till the we get down to the last month of the season....you'll be surprised who is still hanging around."

Despite what we think of Dr. Roy and SCSU, Brad is a terrific guy, he's one of the nicest coaches you will ever meet. So far, Brad has been pretty accurate in what he was telling me. It will be interesting to see if they are still hanging around in the top five at the end of the season. Other than in the SCSU coaches offices, they're certainly the surprise of the league so far.

On October 16th, one day prior to SCSU's opener with Wisconsin, I was talking with Brad Wilner about his team. He was surprised that they were picked 8th, but he said they did lose quite a bit, but they also had some great players returning and were very pleased with their new players. He said the chemistry on this team is better than it's been in past years. He didn't feel they had a weakness on the team. Everyone was on the same page and he felt their depth was good. He was very confident, more-so than in past years. The last thing he said to me was "just wait till the we get down to the last month of the season....you'll be surprised who is still hanging around."

Despite what we think of Dr. Roy and SCSU, Brad is a terrific guy, he's one of the nicest coaches you will ever meet. So far, Brad has been pretty accurate in what he was telling me. It will be interesting to see if they are still hanging around in the top five at the end of the season. Other than in the SCSU coaches offices, they're certainly the surprise of the league so far.

Rick,

Remember who SCCC has played, one good team. They have played Princton, MTU, Wisconsin and finally a decent team in UMD. UMD is a top 5 team in the WCHA. However, they barely beat a weak EZAC team in Princeton. 2-1 and 6-5. Hardly convincing. If UND plays they way they should/capable of this should be a sweep.

I agree. UND should sweep this weekend. I was just making the point that Brad had predicted a much better season than they're being picked for. Brad's a good guy. Hopefully, there will be a couple bumps in the road for SCSU this weekend.

With the defensemen we have, as the season goes on, it is going to be harder and harder for teams to get within eyesight of the UND goal. First, opponents have to get the puck away from Bochenski, Murray, Parise, Fylling, Lundbohm, Prpich, McMahon, Canady, Stafford & others. And then, once they do get the puck and start heading down ice, they know they're going to get leveled at the blue line, so they have to dump it and head to the corner with Greene, Schneider, Smaby or Jones beside them. I didn't mention Fuher and Marvin because they are the "light-weights" of the group. They're 6' 2" & 6' respectively, but they're not quite 200 lbs so those two will only maim you for life. Whereas, Schneider and Jones will maim you and then turn around and score at the other end. And of coarse Greene and Smaby, well, maybe it's best not to mention what will happen there.

BTW, I was talking with a scout last weekend, and he said that Marvin would be the number 3 defenseman on the Gopher team. He said that shows the talent of the Sioux defense because Marvin has a difficult time even cracking the lineup at UND.

On Tuesday, Blaiser mentioned that he's been feeding Prpich raw meat. He said Prpich is the only guy he knows that, when you punch him in the nose, he just smiles at you. :silly: If Prpich is getting raw meat, I wonder what he's giving Greene and Smaby? ???

Keys for the Sioux vs. SCSU (IMHO):

1. Stay out of the box.

2. Officials need to whistle the clutch and grab by SCSU that is sure to happen (this year even more than in years past, which is saying quite a bit).

3. When SCSU gets whistled for #2 above, the Sioux need to make them pay.

4. When SCSU is on the PK, the officials need to whistle the continued clutch and grab by SCSU and give the boys 5x3s (instead of ignoring it as they are so wont to do).

5. The boys need to keep doing what they have been doing the past two weekends: Play up an up tempo aggressive forecheck, get lots of quick shots off, and have the forwards continue to provide good defensive support in their own zone.

If you gather from the above that I think we are going to see a lot of clutch and grab by SCSU, you have a firm grasp of the obvious :) . Last weekend was a really emotional one for the boys and I hope they don't come out flat. Hopefully, the reports from DB about some of the freshmen thinking they were pretty hot stuff after sweeping UMN has been completely dealt with and evenyone's ready to go against the 1st place team in the WCHA, and one that has given the boys some fits the last few years.

Keys for a Husky victory:

1. Zach and Murray get caught before the game at the Edge while Bochenski decides to take a weekend trip to Winnipeg leaving in about a half hour.

2. Siembida comes back for a one series engagement with the Sioux

3. Blais pulls the goalie for the remainder of the game... with 10 minutes to go in the first period

4. Everyone gets injured

5. Anderson is the ref (ok, winning with him as the ref isn't a sure thing, but it will give SCSU an advantage).

6. Greene goes psycho and whacks everyone on the Sioux bench.

7. An act of a higher power.

Ok, seriously though, it should be a great series and I can't wait to see the puck drop.

P.S. Does anyone think that Saigo looks a lot like Mr. Wong from Futurama? Mr. Wong is Amy's (the "cute" intern) rich father.

Couteaurinkrat, I thought people still do those cheers.

Give me an s-e-x, what's that spell sex, what's that mean score, score, score.

Give me a c-o-n-d-o-m, what's that spell condom, what's that mean defense, defense, defense.

Give me a c-u-m, what's that spell cum, what's that mean shoot it, shoot it, shoot it.

Give me a t-i-t-s, what's that spell tits, what's that mean "tits". (when something neat happens on the ice)

We also invented some others, but I don't think they would be appropriate to write out on here.

:);):):0;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

GO SIOUX!!!

You mean like you adding the F word to everyone of them? ;)

My favorite of yours was "Give me a S, give me an e, give me a v, give me a g, give me a r, give me a t. What the F does that spell?" We don't know! "What the F does that mean?" We don't know!. :)

The tits cheer isn't used nearly enough anymore. BUt the poop cheer for dump it has been added for when we're on the PK.