SiouxSports.com Forum

Odds for possible names

ShilohSioux

Was wondering what the Vegas odds would be on some of the proposed new names that have a better chance. Assuming the Legislature isn't able to force the NCAA and university administration to keep the Sioux name, how about these for a starting point:

RoughRiders 3:1

Cavalry 5:1

Aviators/Pilots 8:1

Nodaks 10:1

Nokotas 10:1

Mustangs 10:1

Rangers 20:1

Warriors 50:1

I'm telling you, do not count out Spirit.

I am not a fan, but I keep hearing whispers...

I agree Mike. That would be a very stupid name and just the sort of name that the "stakeholders" would deem "resonates with the ENTIRE university community."

Spirit is one of the names my daughter, who is currently a student at UND, says she keeps hearing too. Also Force of the North. Not a fan of either, but the committee that makes the decision will not be asking me...

Not sure that Cavalry is that high. Cal Poly is the Mustangs. There are others that are popular...

Spirit 5:2

Force of the North 7:1

Suhaki 1,000,000:1 (so you're sayin' there's a chance?)

• Upvote 1

I'm telling you, do not count out Spirit.

I am not a fan, but I keep hearing whispers...

Seriously?! :(

So we'll go from, arguably, one of the coolest nicknames ever in college athletics to one of the lamest. Sad enough to lose the nickname we have, but Spirit?!?!? In a nutshell, that sucks!

IMO, the only nickname that will serve the UND and the state well long term is RoughRiders.

how about being just the University of North Dakota. if the Fighting Sioux isn't good enough for people than let's not go with anything. that being said I think going with something like the force of the north would be the closest thing to this as there is.

There's another thread to suggest and debate names. I started this one to see what people thought the odds were for some of the more likely candidates, or the ones that were most commonly tossed around on the other threads. I agree there are a lot of options so if you have others than those listed above, would you mind posting the odds you think exist for selecting it. Looks like we have these to add to the list above:

Norse

North Stars

Force of the North

Just plain ol' North Dakota with no mascot

From above:

Spirit 5:2

Force of the North 7:1

Suhaki 1,000,000:1

Was wondering what the Vegas odds would be on some of the proposed new names that have a better chance. Assuming the Legislature isn't able to force the NCAA and university administration to keep the Sioux name, how about these for a starting point:

What are you basing these odds off of? Just run a poll if you want odds. You can figure the odds from how people vote, rather than just making them up as you go along.

What are you basing these odds off of? Just run a poll if you want odds. You can figure the odds from how people vote, rather than just making them up as you go along.

A poll doesn't necesarily reflect what might be selected. I wasn't interested in the most popular choice among those of us on this forum, but what we think might be selected in the end. The odds above were meant as a starting point for discussion. Feel free to adjust them.

A poll doesn't necesarily reflect what might be selected. I wasn't interested in the most popular choice among those of us on this forum, but what we think might be selected in the end. The odds above were meant as a starting point for discussion. Feel free to adjust them.

A poll can turn itself into odds of what the name will be no matter what the sample size. Just throwing out random numbers or made up odds doesn't make anything a starting point. It's like me saying that there's a 80% chance the Sioux sweep this weekend with no data to back that up. Basically its just a guess and not odds. Plus if you add up your probabilites, the result should equal 1, since one name or option will win. The sum cannot exceed 1.

A poll can turn itself into odds of what the name will be no matter what the sample size. Just throwing out random numbers or made up odds doesn't make anything a starting point. It's like me saying that there's a 80% chance the Sioux sweep this weekend with no data to back that up. Basically its just a guess and not odds. Plus if you add up your probabilites, the result should equal 1, since one name or option will win. The sum cannot exceed 1.

They weren't random numbers but my read on what I'm reading on these forums and hearing out there. Not saying they are accurate, and they should be adjusted by the knowledgeable people on this forum, but they aren't just "thrown out there" or a "guess" either.

They weren't random numbers but my read on what I'm reading on these forums and hearing out there. Not saying they are accurate, and they should be adjusted by the knowledgeable people on this forum, but they aren't just "thrown out there" or a "guess" either.

All I was saying is that your odds are a guess. You are just guessing odds based off of what you have read rather than conducting an actual poll. I can do the same. There is a 2:1 chance that you answer this post. I have no basis for that, its just a guess.

There is no way that anyone can try to pick odds on this topic right now with any kind of accuracy. The process for deciding a new name hasn't been announced yet, and may not even be decided yet. No one knows who is going to make the decision, or even have actual input. No one has a clue which names will actually be considered. Your list is just a guess. There are no actual facts that can be used to base anything on. So any "odds" that are thrown out right now are just a WAG.

Here are odds that you can take to the bank:

2:3 odds the new nickname is totally lame and pathetic and that it will be spawned from the likes of the anti-Sioux faculty, Leigh Jeanotte, PETA, Jesse Jackson, Keith Olbermann and any other "duckies, bunnies and dewey meadows" pinhead you want to throw in there.

500:1 odds the new nickname is anything close to be being approved and accepted by UND students, alum and the vast majority of the fine people of this state.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1