SiouxSports.com Forum

Odds for possible names

ShilohSioux

I find that name "Hostile"

Now are you saying that Fighting Cacasian is a "Hostile" name or are you suggesting "Hostile" be our nickname?

UND Hostile... Kinda reflects the playing atmosphere in the Ralph....

Cans somebody give me odds on: "Hostile" and "Rodent Bashers"

Esox

84 days.....

Was wondering what the Vegas odds would be on some of the proposed new names that have a better chance. Assuming the Legislature isn't able to force the NCAA and university administration to keep the Sioux name, how about these for a starting point:

RoughRiders 3:1

Cavalry 5:1

Aviators/Pilots 8:1

Nodaks 10:1

Nokotas 10:1

Mustangs 10:1

Rangers 20:1

Warriors 50:1

You're missing some zeros on Cavalry. It should be 5000000:1. Same for Warriors.

They (Hockey Team) will always be Sioux to me

Honest question, what makes the Sioux hockey team any more Fighting Sioux than any other team on campus? If I were a player or former player from any other sport at UND I'd take a bit of offense to that, it's not like those teams are any less UND.

• Upvote 1

Here are odds that you can take to the bank:

2:3 odds the new nickname is totally lame and pathetic and that it will be spawned from the likes of the anti-Sioux faculty, Leigh Jeanotte, PETA, Jesse Jackson, Keith Olbermann and any other "duckies, bunnies and dewey meadows" pinhead you want to throw in there.

500:1 odds the new nickname is anything close to be being approved and accepted by UND students, alum and the vast majority of the fine people of this state.

These are probably the closed odds in the entire thread.

I'm a Sioux Hockey Fan - always have been 30+ years - have had season tickets for around 27 yrs - been to one FB game & one BB game ...sorry

Still think the whole FB conference thing hurt the Fighting Sioux Name

I still think the Ralph could bring in a AHL team & call it Fighting Sioux - it would sell out & tell UND & Name haters & NCAA where to go & we would be Happy & adjust faster - than giving up the Name

I wish Ralph was alive this crap would be different :angry:

UND no longer deserves anything to do with the Ralph

I'm a Sioux Hockey Fan - always have been 30+ years - have had season tickets for around 27 yrs - been to one FB game & one BB game ...sorry

Still think the whole FB conference thing hurt the Fighting Sioux Name

I still think the Ralph could bring in a AHL team & call it Fighting Sioux - it would sell out & tell UND & Name haters & NCAA where to go & we would be Happy & adjust faster - than giving up the Name

I wish Ralph was alive this crap would be different :angry:

UND no longer deserves anything to do with the Ralph

Ralph supported the university and the hockey program more than the nickname alone. He would have done everything in his power to keep the name, but I don't think he would have hurt the school or the hockey program just to keep the name. UND and UND hockey are bigger than the Fighting Sioux nickname.

I guess I'm still one who does not believe all has been done - or a true united effort to save the name -

I guess I lean towards Ralph being #1 a Sioux Hockey Fan

I don't really want to Hurt UND - just don't think the current Admin. or SBOHE deserve the Facility (or now will ever get it) Ralph E wasn't dumb !

I think there are more, than anyone knows or wants to imagine - that will lose a lot of interest in UND - if the Sioux Hockey Team is Lost

It is not just about the University & Students or Alumni - I don't think the Success of Sioux Hockey & the Ralph would be anywhere near what it is with just those folks

the old Ralph would of even struggled without GF's other Hockey fans

I wonder how many of our best Hockey players really came here for "UND" or was it more the elite program / stepping stone, or potential stepping stone to stay in Hockey - or the fact they could compete at the next level & the now world class facility

- I'm sure Scholarships greatly influenced many

- But if that all went away & we could still have a high quality of Hockey (Bonus being named Fighting Sioux) like a AHL team - I think the Ralph Engelstad Arena would sell out even without the student section - Good Hockey is just that important here

- & I think Ralph Engelstad would be so PIzzed he would walk away & close the Place, or tear it down - rather than watch what is about to happen

A poll can turn itself into odds of what the name will be no matter what the sample size. Just throwing out random numbers or made up odds doesn't make anything a starting point. It's like me saying that there's a 80% chance the Sioux sweep this weekend with no data to back that up. Basically its just a guess and not odds. Plus if you add up your probabilites, the result should equal 1, since one name or option will win. The sum cannot exceed 1.

Why in the heck are you giving Shiloh grief? He is just wanting to stimulate conversation. If you want a poll, set one up!! Plus, your comment that the sum of "odds" must equal 1 is not fact! Don't respond with some rebuttal - there is no need to debate this! If you don't like this thread, stay away from it.

• Upvote 1

Anybody know what percentage of our hockey players actually graduate from UND? It seems like alot of our good young talent is only here as you said; as a "stepping stone".

Looks like 57-percent for the 1999-2002 cohort (latest numbers). That's compared to 33-percent nationally for college men's hockey players. I think overall graduation rates for entering UND freshmen are around 55-60 percent so this is comparable to overall student body.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8egsr2009Div2/494.pdf

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/nH8einst2009Div2/494.pdf