SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU Series

redwing77

Ok, Friday's another big game in the start of a big series. I thought last weekend was the series to beat, but I'm not so sure. The Gophers just aren't playing like the Gophers right now. However, the SCSU Huskies are playing very good. USCHO predicted a Bulldog sweep over the Puppies and the Puppies swept. I think this says one of two things:

1) UMD didn't play well at all and SCSU got all the good bounces in two straight games

-or-

2) SCSU is a lot better than EVERYONE thinks.

#2 could mean trouble for the Sioux if we get too cocky or arrogant.

We scored 12 goals last weekend. I doubt we'll make 10 goals scored by both teams combine this weekend on both nights.

By the way, Maine split, so we'll probably be #1 ranked. To be honest, I don't want the #1 ranking.

I think SCCC should be viewed as dangerous as BC or Minnie. If we play our game, work hard on the fundamentals and don't get too overconfident we should be okay. This should be viewed as a big series, not only for the chance to get 4 points, but also to reinforce to the team that they have to work hard each night if they want to be at the Fleet in April.

UND knows first hand that UMD is a good hockey team. The simple facts that St Cloud swept UMD on the road and St Cloud is undefeated is enough for UND to take St Cloud Seriously. Should be another awesome weekend of hockey.

PS: Im getting very sick of these schedules that place most of the home games in the first half and most of the games in the second half on the road.

To be honest, I don't want the #1 ranking.

I know what you mean... I wish they'd give it to UNH. No need to give St. Cloud any more incentive than they've already got. You've got to think Dean has/will pound it in everyone's head that they've got to get out there and go right at them, and if they win Friday, not to let down even a little on Saturday. The way the Sioux have been playing, though, I find it hard to believe they won't be as intense this upcoming weekend as they have been against all their other opponents. (Heck, look what they did to Yale.) I guess we'll see really soon how good SCSU really is!

I wish I could watch these games live! (Thank goodness someone invented hockey -- and Dataflix -- to give us all something to look forward to in these dark days of winter!)

PS: Im getting very sick of these schedules that place most of the home games in the first half and most of the games in the second half on the road.

TH said that the preliminary schedules for next year have the Sioux playing a normal schedule again, with series going road, home, road pretty much the whole year. That will be nice to have that back to normal.

I know it's been posted before, but where are some good places to go to find some tickets on game day?

Your best place is right in front of the REA before the game starts. Many tickets can be purchased for face value or less. :D And the price usually goes down with the temp and of course closer to faceoff. :silly:

If you want a sure thing check the message board at the REA web site.

REA ticket exchange

I know it's been posted before, but where are some good places to go to find some tickets on game day?

Check with REA Wednesday afternoon to see if there are any student tickets left over. If there are, then you can buy tickets at 10:00 Thursday morning at the Ralph. Tickets were left over for the Gopher series, so chances are there will be some left over this weekend as well.

Ok, Friday's another big game in the start of a big series. I thought last weekend was the series to beat, but I'm not so sure. The Gophers just aren't playing like the Gophers right now. However, the SCSU Huskies are playing very good. USCHO predicted a Bulldog sweep over the Puppies and the Puppies swept. I think this says one of two things:

1) UMD didn't play well at all and SCSU got all the good bounces in two straight games

-or-

2) SCSU is a lot better than EVERYONE thinks.

#2 could mean trouble for the Sioux if we get too cocky or arrogant.

We scored 12 goals last weekend. I doubt we'll make 10 goals scored by both teams combine this weekend on both nights.

By the way, Maine split, so we'll probably be #1 ranked. To be honest, I don't want the #1 ranking.

77, its definately #1, we got all the breaks, all the bounces, all the referees calls, lucky goals, caught UMD down, and most likely won't be that lucky this week end...so, don't worry, tell the team to relax at practice this week, sit Parise and play some of the Freshmen that need playing time. We promise to play a no check and no slapshot rules.. :silly:

77, its definately #1, we got all the breaks, all the bounces, all the referees calls, lucky goals, caught UMD down, and most likely won't be that lucky this week end...so, don't worry, tell the team to relax at practice this week, sit Parise and play some of the Freshmen that need playing time. We promise to play a no check and no slapshot rules.. :silly:

I'm dizzy from all the spinning...

With the exception of Bochenski and Parise, most of our offense has been scored or set up by freshmen :silly:

Most of our game winning goals too :D

Any idea of who is likely to start in goal? SCSU apparently has the same system that we had last year with goalies. No idea who their number one is and none of them have been really tested before last week.

I hope that they come venturing out to the faceoff circle :)

Are we doing signs for this one?

Adam Coole is going to be their goalie I think. Montgomery has a strained neck or something.

Montgomery is a sieve anyways, so it will be nice to have SCCC's best goalie. Coole from UMD was a decent goalie when he was playing for UMD. Should be a fun series to watch. I almost think we are giving SCCC too much credit. Their schedule has been really weak except for the Bull Dawgs I acutally can't believe the SCCC beat them. If I remember right they barley beat a weak Princton and we know what kind of a EZAC team they are.

I took a quick look at SCCC's roster, and overall they seem really small compared to Minnie and BC, and past years' squads. If we play a physical, aggressive game we could knock them off the puck, wear them down going into the third and get them to bleed from their ears. Playing on a smaller rink should definitely reduce any quickness or speed advantage some of their guys, but we have fast guys with muscle and toughness. Take them to the boards, throw them through the glass and punish them every time they touch the puck. Some good stick work to their legs and arms probably wouldn't hurt either. Well, that and an elbow or two to the ribs, or the back of the head. :silly: We'll see how "cool" Mr. Coole is when he has Money, Parise and Murray hanging on him, and Schneider and Jones patrolling the blue line. :D:)

Duluth people were saying that Coole didn't play that well though. That it was SCSU's defense that played well. It sounded like the Huskies gave up alot of shots, but didn't give up many good shots.

When you give up that many shots, your forwards are not backchecking and your defense is not playing well. Other than Gens, LaMere and Peters, SCSU's defense is just as young as MN's and much less heralded.

I don't think Dahl would feel comfortable giving up that many shots to UND.

Sounds like the first game could be a horse race. However, I am affraid that if UND wins big the first night SCCC is going to go to the hooking and holding crap. Make the second game very hard to watch. SCCC is famous for that type of play.

EZ schedules don't matter. Remember, Minnychoka thought we had played an easy schedule and look at what we did to them. It's too early to say someone has an easy schedule. There are always surprise teams out there. SC could be one of them.

I read somewhere that Coole stepped on the ice in Duluth as a freshman and let in a great amount of goals in a short amount of time or low amount of shots and left the ice and never played again with UMD. I don't have specifics though.

What about this Boron dude?