SiouxSports.com Forum

Question for students

Diggler

I just want to know what other students thought about that paper that they handed out to us last night. It really, really ticked me off. We have done everything they asked of us and people are still complaining. I just don't understand what they expect us to do. We still sat for much of the game this weekend, but it is the Gophers. We are gonna stand up more than normal. Deal with it.

I don't wanna start the whole argument over this and season tickets holders again, because that is getting very old. I am just tired of always getting scolded no matter what we seem to do.

It started off by saying how great the season has been and how it is nice to cheer. Then it said there are no specified times when we are allowed to stand up. It went into saying how we can't stand up for PP (we didn't), can't stand for a long time after a goal is scored (we didn't) and other things. Section 109 was standing up more than section 108 was earlier. But this weekend they didn't. The students have been good this year and I just don't understand what the problem is.

I thought the paper was crap. It is obvious that REA and the people complaining want to remove any atmosphere. I would like to see the student president support us with it, but who knows. I think we need to hand out a sheet to the general public that reminds them to stand up and cheer. :silly:

I think we need to hand out a sheet to the general public that reminds them to stand up and cheer. :silly:

This is just what I was going to recomend. Seriously, we should do it. We obviously can't express all of our true feelings about the select few whiners, but we could make a nice well thought out paper that said how we feel about things.

Then again, they probably wouldn't let us hand them out because we would obviously be trying to cause trouble. :D

I sit in Section 110 and I thought the students did/do an excellent job cheering and standing when appropriate. There are still a few season ticket holders that give you guys grief . . . but I think the vast majority of the season ticket holders would say the students are doing a terrific job this year and they appreciate the effort . . . myself being one of them . . . and for that I say Thank You to the students in section 108 and 109!

I think the whole "reminder" thing came about because there were two older gentleman sitting in front of me (On Friday night) and it was their first time at the Ralph. They were getting on the students for standing . . . to the point of getting in some of the students faces and slapping one student on the shoulder. This guy took it too far . . . to the point that he had us telling him to let up and explaining the situation to him. Another season ticket holder behind me even asked him to leave so the rest of us could enjoy the game! One of the guys (the more vocal one) I think either moved or was tossed from the game because he wasn't in his seat in the third period.

I wanted to respond just so you know that the students do have a few friends in section 110 . . . and to say Thank You again for the effort!!

How would the students feel about moving sections to the corner or right behind the net? Chances are that you will get more seats and people will not complain about you standing. In the old Engelstad you were in the corner and no one said a word. Just trying to get a feel for what you are thinking.

The Student Section was NOT in the corner of the old arena. The students had the entire west side and 40% of the seating. The last thing they need is to send the students to the corner, people need to quit complaining and leave the students alone. I graduated after the first year of the new arena and I remember when the arena was first going up, they were going to give the students 3 lower sections and 3 upper deck sections. Obviously, only 2 lower bowl sections were given, so they could sell more tickets and shaft the students. :D

Being a former student I'm with the students. They are getting scolded for standing?:)? Think how stupid that really is. :silly: How long until REA gets 2 more sections in the lower deck to sell to season ticket holders. REMEMBER they are the U. of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, not the Grand Forks Sioux. It is the University's team not GF's or season ticket holders teams. It is the Students Team and their school, so enjoy that it is in your town.

In the original seating plans for the arena, the students had four lower bowl sections. Basically the same set up as the old rink. I'm not saying they should get four lower bowl sections, but if there were the standing wouldn't have been as big of a deal.

I thought they tried mvoing the students over the summer? Personally I like having the students behind the penalty box so they can screw with the players.

Diggler, I agree. If anything, I think a lot of students are being overly cautious about standing up at times because they're afraid of losing their seats, which results in half of the students standing up and trying to get the crowd to cheer on a Sioux PP, and the other half of the students looking around for lurking security as they sit down because they aren't sure if they can stand up and cheer during a power play. I think it was on USCHO where someone said that the crowd has been louder on Friday nights than Saturday nights recently, and that the team seems to thrive when the crowd is at its loudest. Anyone who has been to those Friday night games against Boston and Minnesota know what I'm talking about, because you can feel the electricity in the building. It's almost like having a 6th skater on the ice. Hell, even Tyler Hirsch said in an interview between periods on Friday night that the players get nervous at first when they hear the fans and that they have to settle down and just play the game.

I think the students have made tremendous strides in working with REA and season ticket holders. Instead of getting stupid notes that say "I love you, but..." how about just acknowledging that the students are maturing and being more respectful of those around them. It's almost getting ridiculous.

Thank you to the season ticket holders who still continue to support the student section. It's people like you who probably keep the students from saying screw it and go back to standing during the entire game.

I'm with you, Sioux CO. Standing was never a problem in the old arena because we had half of the arena. The only peoples view that was obstructed was that of other students, so they would just end of standing. Since it is the students team for their school, they should have the entire lower half side of the rink instead of the 2 sections of lower and upper. This way these crying season ticket holders could sit high enough up that they could see the game the entire time. I have only been to 4 games at the new arena and that was in it's first year when these ideas of sitting down the entire time were just going into effect. I don't think I would last too long with these new rules now if I enjoyed the game as I used to when I was a student. It was great hog piling after goals, which probably doesn't happen anymore and yelling out random insults to players on the other team. It sounds like if you do any of these things now you are gone and that sucks because that isn't how I remember Sioux hockey. I used to love hanging on the glass, which now would probably result in jail time or getting thrown out of school. Perhaps when I am 40 I might like these new rules if I attend a game, but I am not very fond of them now. From what I have seen on television, it looks like the fans are having a great time though. I remember when I wore a wig and painted up for a game, everybody looked at me as if I was insane, but now everybody does it. It was great to see Diggler on tv and the crowd I was with watching the game remembered him and thought it was great to see him up there still attending in the same seats as usual supporting the team for us, since we aren't able to be up there. By the way, do you have your doctorate yet with all of this time in school? :silly: All in all the fans appear to be having fun and don't let a few old grouches get in your way and ruin your experience. We have more important things to think about and prepare for, such as playing the surprising St. Cloud Huskies and kicking their butts. GO SIOUX!!!

One more thing...We watched the game at Sensers in Bloomington and the entire Shattuck St. Mary's team was in attendance watching the game. It was great to see that they all are interested in the Sioux and following their former teammates. One player said he would love the play for the Sioux someday. I hope they all share this dream even when Zach and others are done. They have great talent coming from their program and it makes recruiting easy.

I missed this weekend and I heard it was a great game but this stuff is hardly unexpected.

The whole reason the letter was issued was because it was the Gopher series. There was going to be more fair weather fans in the building. It was an attempt to give those fair weather fans a good time without too much interference so to speak. Also, there were a few fans who travelled to see the games and their enjoyment is important. That not withstanding, It was done as a preemptive strike on the students to "remind them who's boss." Remember that this is the NEW REA. The deal with the Old Ralph is done. Student Government actually bought those seats in the Old Ralph and then gave the tickets away in a first come first serve basis. We knew that and so did the public. That's why we got away with so much. Every time someone would complain, the AD would hold up their hands and say "They bought the section. Their part of the building, theirs to do with it as they please." There were still rules and UND policy that was upheld (no booze for example) but we had the freedom we all loved. Maybe we got too spoiled, but it was how it should be. Those days are over. It's too much of a business now. It is time to work towards making what we got work and push for what we should get when we can. It can get worse.

Remember, Ralph is dead. It is largely us (students and pro-student public) vs them (anti-student public and seemingly REA management) and the AD is stuck in the middle. Of course, since we pay significantly less than the public, the AD has to side a lot with the season ticket holders who fall into the anti-student crowd. These letters make that crowd understand that they are doing something. It could just be veiled threats (which I think they are. Nothing but green and white smoke) meaning nothing, but they will never know it.

Don't worry about this letter folks.

I think this whole standing up issue is really getting old. I agree with those who say that this is a UND sport not a Grand Forks sport, so let the students stand if they want to. I see no reason to make a big deal, out of something so little. I personally enjoy seeing all the students up and cheering. It adds energy to the game, and makes for a fun and exciting atomosphere. But your still gonna have those people who complain no matter what you do about it. I'm in highschool, so i'm lookin forward to being in the student section when i attend UND, hopefully by then this whole "Standing" issue will be over by then.

Since nobody can agree on what should be done...how about we all just imagine what it would be like with 1/3 of the lower bowl all students who are standing. How much amazing fun would that be? This would become the hardest place to play in college hockey...and you would still have the entire arena sold out, because there is still a pretty good demand for tickets.

REMEMBER they are the U. of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, not the Grand Forks Sioux. It is the University's team not GF's or season ticket holders teams. It is the Students Team and their school, so enjoy that it is in your town.

I don't disagree with your post, however, the quoted portion contains a flawed argument. Many of the season ticket holders are UND alumni. Even though I now live in Fargo, I haven't missed a home hockey or football game since before you enrolled at UND. I spent 27 years of my life in GF and attended undergrad and grad school at UND.

The UND teams are as much "mine" as they are any of the students that are currently enrolled there and I think most alums would agree.

That being said, the students have created a great atmosphere at the new REA. Those who think it doesn't compare to the Old REA must have slept through this weekend or the Denver playoff series last year or even the overtime CC games last year. The new REA gets loud and gets rocking and that can be attributed in large part to the students.

For those that believe the students should be quieter or remain seated need to lay off and have a reality check. It is a sporting event for crying out loud. People that attend should stand and should cheer and should enjoy the games, but to do so might require the removal of the proverbial stick from the butt!

Ever since the revival of the Sioux program in the mid to late 1990's, certain members of the general public have tried to take away student seats so they can have them for themselves. I was a freshman during Gino's final, pathetic year as head coach. We won 11 games that year (7 at home). The crowd was only about half-full most nights, but I also remember that the general public section of the Old Ralph was a lot emptier than the student section.

After Blais took over and the program took off, tickets became hard to come by and season tickets were soon gone. Suddenly, people in the Grand Forks area who wouldn't give the team the time of day before suddenly wanted tickets, but couldn't get them because they waited too long to commit to the program.

Instead of getting on the waiting list and waiting their turn, certain individuals around here decided to take out their frustrations on the student body, who for the most part had stuck with their team through both thick and thin. They would criticize students for not filling up the student section during a long holiday weekend or one of those infernal Saturday-Sunday afternoon weekends that Wanless loved so much. These were times where a lot of students either wanted to go home and spend some time with their families or had jobs they had to work. But the anti-student crowd insisted that the students didn't "appreciate" their seats and that they should lose them.

Now we have a brand-new arena, but the same tired old bullcrap. REA, Inc. had better realize that the student section is still the heart and soul of the crowd at home games. The crazy and creative signs and cheers, the distractions that they give our opponents (especially the Gophers!!! :silly: ) and the overall energy and dedication that they commit to our team all make Sioux home games well worth the money.

I am now a season-ticket holder and a Fighting Sioux Club member and I am 110% behind our student body on this. If we have to rearrange the seating to solve this problem, that's fine. Just make sure that the students can still have the effect that they are supposed to have on the game. Ralph Engelstad built this arena to benefit the program and keep it on top. If we start ruining our home ice advantage by minimizing the students, REA will become what Gopher fans said it was before our sweep this weekend, "Marriucci West". It will become another boring, tame corporate playpen that will not intimidate anyone. I for one do not want to be a part of something like that. I encourage all season-ticket holders and Fighting Sioux Club members to let REA, Inc. and the Athletic Department know that you want the students to continue to have a strong impact during our home games and that you appreciate their energy, enthusiasm, creativity and devotion to our team. I plan on doing so myself. GO SIOUX!!! WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK!!!

I don't think REA should get much if any blame for this whole thing. I do think they should tell some of these people to quit their whining though. If these people would spend a little less time complaining and a little more time trying to watch the game, they might realize that they can clearly see 90% of it sitting down. And I don't think it is too much to ask people to stand up 10% of the game.

The people to blame I think is the Athletic Department and a very, very few season ticket holders. I would guess that maybe 50 people in sections 107 and 110 have a problem with what the students are doing right now, but they are very vocal in their complaining, so they seem to be much bigger than they actually are.

It is people like YaneA who should be filling those seats, because I know for a fact he wouldn't be complaining. He uses his own money and has provided us with signs. The students went from the attitude of "Screw you guys, we'll do whatever we want. Were the students and we should be able to stand up." when the arena opened to "Ok, we'll work with you and try to make it alot better and enjoyable for everyone". It is really frustrating that a few people still aren't happy and they won't be happy until the seats in section 108 and 109 are empty. I think these people would complain no matter who was in those seats. It could be college students, 35 year old soccer moms or the Shaddytree retirement home, they would still find something to complain about. The students are a much easier target though.

I don't think REA should get much if any blame for this whole thing.

I believe that REA is to blame. The arena should have been designed with the idea that the students would be standing. They also decided which sections the students would be in, and of course took away two lower level sections because the students did not buy all of the tickets available by the end of the last season in the old REA. I would like to see the student president, AD, and majority of public fans stand up (no pun intended) for us.

Man, that really sucks for you guys. I love standing at games - I prefer it actually. Perhaps it is because I feel like less of an "observer" I don't really know...

The only way around it is to move the students to the end where they can stand all game long. They did this to tUMD students at the DECC last year. At first we were all upset over losing our redline seats, but it ended up working great. We could stand all game, and yell using some minor vulgarities and no one would complain. It worked out great.