SiouxSports.com Forum

And the Idiot of the Month Goes To.....

Fedorov

UND, Minnesota fans love to get under each others' skin

Energy level in Mariucci? No disputing it was THE shrine to college hockey until REA was built, but fan energy is something it's really lacked lately (disclaimer: I haven't attended a lot of regular season games in the last two years, the peak of Gopher success, but went to quite a few for the couple years preceding that).

Maybe he meant the Gopher team's energy level was unusually low in REA, which is hard to dispute.

UND, Minnesota fans love to get under each others' skin

Energy level in Mariucci? No doubt it was THE shrine to college hockey until REA was built, but energy is something it's never really had. Maybe he meant the Gopher team's energy level was unusually low in REA, which is hard to dispute.

I don't see how you could read into it as the team energy level. It was clearly about the fans and the arena. They definitely have never had much atmosphere. I am a little curious on how some people view arenas. I know the Kohl Center was rated as the top 5, but it isn't that great. It has too much of a basketball feel to me.

I am a little curious on how some people view arenas.  I know the Kohl Center was rated as the top 5, but it isn't that great.  It has too much of a basketball feel to me.

On that I definitely disagree: that old guy who leads the ENTIRE crowd in cheers, Varsity, the band smacked up against the ice, all the fans (young and old) at the Gritty and on State St before and after every game, most eyes in the building actually watching the game instead of others in the crowd.

The building itself isn't perfect for hockey, there are some bad sight lines in the upper deck, but I believe the Kohl Center hosts a crowd that's more into the game that almost any other arena. REA and Mariucci both have a lot of people there because it's the hot ticket/place to be seen -- Kohl Center is full of people who want to watch hockey. It is true that it has been off a bit the last couple years of Badger mediocrity :silly:

Joseph McShane, a UND student asked about our arena and fans. "They've got all the money. But it still doesn't match Mariucci Arena where the energy level is routinely 10 times as high."

Well, yes, that would certainly explain all of the empty premium seats near center ice and the people who leave 10 minutes before the end of the third period when Minnie is up, or 15 minutes when they're down. :D:silly:

That said, I think Mariucci is a great college hockey barn, and a definite cathedral to the game. :)

On that I definitely disagree: that old guy who leads the ENTIRE crowd in cheers, Varsity, the band smacked up against the ice, all the fans (young and old) at the Gritty and on State St before and after every game, most eyes in the building actually watching the game instead of others in the crowd.

The building itself isn't perfect for hockey, there are some bad sight lines in the upper deck, but I believe the Kohl Center hosts a crowd that's more into the game that almost any other arena. REA and Mariucci both have a lot of people there because it's the hot ticket/place to be seen -- Kohl Center is full of people who want to watch hockey. It is true that it has been off a bit the last couple years of Badger mediocrity :silly:

For atmosphere, I think Wisconsin is great. I wish UND fans would be like that. The student section is very energetic, but I am surprised by how few of them go to the game. I was referring to the building itself not being in the top 5. The really loud goal horn is great though.

I have a sister who goes to the U of M but is a huge Sioux fan, so I really don't think this guy is an idiot, just loyal to his own program.

It has nothing to do with him being a fan of the Gophers, it is his moronic comment about the atmosphere. He is either lying to himself, or he is on drugs. Either way.......idiot.

• 2 weeks later...
Joseph McShane, a UND student asked about our arena and fans. "They've got all the money. But it still doesn't match Mariucci Arena where the energy level is routinely 10 times as high."

I'm glad he isn't in my class or I would flunk him. :glare:

My buddy and I are sitting here watching the Gopher/Tech game and it is about four minutes in and there looks like there are only about 2,000 people there. What a tremendous atmosphere!

--------------------

It is now about eight minutes in and there are definitely more empty seats than full seats if the views on tv are any indication. That is sad.

Place does look dead. Tech really plays great D in the slot. They are small but move up the ice well. Just can't shoot. Minnie just came off a powerplay where TWICE Hircsh tried to one-time a pass from the goal line. No wonder they can't score.

My buddy and I are sitting here watching the Gopher/Tech game and it is about four minutes in and there looks like there are only about 2,000 people there. What a tremendous atmosphere!

--------------------

It is now about eight minutes in and there are definitely more empty seats than full seats if the views on tv are any indication. That is sad.

I remember during the '70s before the Sioux dynasty that the old REA was filled to the brim on a regular basis. Surprising how the mentality between the 2 schools differs so much even though they are only 300-some miles apart. Granted, the TC has many more venues, but still...

• 1 month later...

The January losers are the MTU fans. How do you chant overrated when you are losing and lost the night before? (They did it again after the game when they were swept. However, they were rewarded with the MTU players saluting them.) Honorable mention goes to Mason for UAA performance. :lol:

Is this kid still allowed in any UND buildings? I would throw him out of school in a heart beat. How could he ever write his name on a test or something. The teacher would fail him for sure. What a dope! That's probably what he's on.

One could argue that Mariucci's energy level is very high. One could also argue that the REA's energy level is very high. What makes McShane the expert on energy levels in college hockey arenas. Can you say SPECULATION.

Who gives a crap about energy level anyway? We all know which arena has the better team.

Is this kid still allowed in any UND buildings? I would throw him out of school in a heart beat. How could he ever write his name on a test or something. The teacher would fail him for sure. What a dope! That's probably what he's on.

One could argue that Mariucci's energy level is very high. One could also argue that the REA's energy level is very high. What makes McShane the expert on energy levels in college hockey arenas. Can you say SPECULATION.

Who gives a crap about energy level anyway? We all know which arena has the better team.

Difference is - Mariucci is a dump. I wouldn't let my dog take a leak in that place.

The whole atmosphere thing is a crock now. I mean, on Saturday's game vs UAA, it was LOUD! I was expecting no one to show (So was the Ralph) and it was amazing. But even before that the atmosphere was there. The only real time that it wasn't was the exhibition games (the U-18 game HAS to be the lowest home attendence figures for the Sioux this season at least).

Gosh if the Gophers were coming to the Ralph next week instead of us going there, I'm sure the roof would darn near blow off it would be so loud.

The whole atmosphere thing is a crock now. I mean, on Saturday's game vs UAA, it was LOUD! I was expecting no one to show (So was the Ralph) and it was amazing.

UAA is no slouch. I would expect a good atmosphere for any league game, especially a game against a 6th place opponent who has swept CC, and played tough against many of the top teams in the league.