SiouxSports.com Forum

LETTER TO NCAA BY SPIRIT LAKE -- GREAT WORK!

Chewey

I can't seem to figure out how to insert these images, PDF or otherwise, but if anyone wants them PM me and I will email them to you. Excellent letters to NCAA by Spirit Lake. They're exactly right: The NCAA's folly is that its attempt/process to prevent the Native Americans from being assaulted by the hostile and abusive nature of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo has itself become hostile and abusive in the purest and most cynical sense.

How many of you know that UND DID NOT HAVE TO GET RID OF OUR NAME AND LOGO? I have a letter sent to a gentlemen at Spirt Lake back in Sept. 2010 from Mr. Franklin at the NCAA stating the fact. The only thing that UND would lose is the right to host a NCAA tournament. From what I hear, it is a losing proposition for the hosting college since the NCAA comes in and takes all the ticket sales and percentages of all other receipts!

The State Higher Ed board sure hid that fact, didn't they!

I also have the full letter from Spirit Lake to the NCAA. You can PM me also!

I can't seem to figure out how to insert these images, PDF or otherwise, but if anyone wants them PM me and I will email them to you. Excellent letters to NCAA by Spirit Lake. They're exactly right: The NCAA's folly is that its attempt/process to prevent the Native Americans from being assaulted by the hostile and abusive nature of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo has itself become hostile and abusive in the purest and most cynical sense.

Go to the Fargo Forum they have the letter up in PDF format for all to view!

How many of you know that UND DID NOT HAVE TO GET RID OF OUR NAME AND LOGO? I have a letter sent to a gentlemen at Spirt Lake back in Sept. 2010 from Mr. Franklin at the NCAA stating the fact. The only thing that UND would lose is the right to host a NCAA tournament. From what I hear, it is a losing proposition for the hosting college since the NCAA comes in and takes all the ticket sales and percentages of all other receipts!

The State Higher Ed board sure hid that fact, didn't they!

I also have the full letter from Spirit Lake to the NCAA. You can PM me also!

I have also posted this on another topic which gives alot of insight into the whole issue and who's to blame. The following was NOT written by me and because apparently some people have a hard time reading the original that I posted here it is in paragraphs :silly:

There are so many misconceptions out there! I will give you food for thought...

1st; NCAA Walter Harrison (chairman executive committee) on April 28, 2006 (MPR News) rejected Archie Fool Bear (Standing Rock District Rep) statement of support... by the people and sacred ceremony, in favor of Ron His Horses Thunder's statement that the overwhelming Sioux of N.D. oppose the name and logo (Archie's statement has been proven true).

2nd; Bernard Frankliln (NCAA vice president) on Oct. 29, 2007 said the Sioux people and no one else should decide (First Amendment Center).

3rd; Incoming president of UND (his administration & staff would remain neutral on this issue) and Oct 2008 with support of Tribal members Spirit Lake tribal flag was raised along side of Standing Rocks at the REA.

4th; UND staff (professor Amy Phillips) aided opponents on Spirit Lake to influence members to reject the name & logo (March & April 2009).

5th; Opponents on Spirit Lake tried through the courts to silence the members voice (April 17, 2009).

6th; With help from powerful North Dakotan 's the one and only meeting took place at the Attorney Generals' office between supporters from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake and Chancellor Goetz addressed at the meeting (why no contact with supporters, the sacred ceremony, when Spirit Lake just voted 67% in support 3 weeks earlier, asked Goetz why are you going to retire the name & logo next week?) Also asked Chancellor Goetz have you met with the opponents? Goetz turned to his lawyer and his lawyer who said "not officially" (May 10, 2009).

7th; On May 14, 2009 the SBoHED did in fact retire the name & logo after hearing from supporters who were on the agenda and after Duaine Espergard called up His Horse's Thunder (who was not on the agenda) to rebutt supporters, part of his statement was (the people of S.R. will never have a voice and the sacred ceremony means nothing! made a motion with his hand and said "puff" it's gone").

This is but a small sample of what the Sioux of N.D. have had to go through.

What is clear is that at least over 60% of the Sioux of N. D.are in support of the name & logo. So for those of you that want to blame someone, put it where it belongs. A handful of whites that have sought a handful of Native Americans who have no respect for there ancestors or their people or their sacred ceremonies. This to achieve a common goal.

Now for some of my opinions;

Alexander Ramsey who was first territory Governor of Minnesota in 1849, later Minnesota State until 1863 cheated the Dakota Sioux out of everything they had by using unscrupulous individuals to translate. He used his power of being in charge of Indian Affairs to do so and pushed them to war in 1862. He made the statement "exterminate them". I personally believe that we have witnessed the same treachery in this issue.

1st; Walter Harrison when faced with conflicting statements, choose not to find out the truth, but chose the one that fit his agenda.

2nd; Bernard Franklin must feel that only a handful of Sioux count.

3rd; After the vote on Spirit Lake in which 67% of the people came out in support, fear and desperation must have set into the SBoHE and UND (a need to change dates and requirements) to be able to blame the Sioux for their choice.

What is not an opinion is that the 3 organization have shown absolutely no respect for the Sioux people of North Dakota and brought shame to all 3 groups.

Here's a quick link to the letter from the Forum website:

Spirit Lake letter to NCAA

Please note that the pages are mixed up. You will want to start reading from the bottom.

Powerful letter!

Fight On, Fighting Sioux!!!

At the same time, I would be amazed if they received any sort of response from the NCAA. It's much easier for them (NCAA) to walk away from this now.

Fight On, Fighting Sioux!!!

At the same time, I would be amazed if they received any sort of response from the NCAA. It's much easier for them (NCAA) to walk away from this now.

With it all over the media already they have no choice but to respond. No response will only make them look like fools!

With it all over the media already they have no choice but to respond. No response will only make them look like fools!

I appreciate your enthusiasm and determination. I am holding on to the slim possibility that something may happen today as well. But with all due respect, I don't believe the NCAA will do much nor do I feel that they will necessarily respond. I did a quick google search for news regarding the Sioux name and only two articles regarding the Spirit Lake letter came up. It may be in the media in ND but not on a regional or national level, thus I don't think the NCAA will feel any pressure to respond...just my opinion.

I forwarded the link to the Herald story and copy of the letter to the Mpls Strib. Can't hurt to try and appeal to other newspapers to pick up on the story, though unlikely it may be that any action will be taken. Yes, they were probably already aware but at least we know the information is in front of them.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and determination. I am holding on to the slim possibility that something may happen today as well. But with all due respect, I don't believe the NCAA will do much nor do I feel that they will necessarily respond. I did a quick google search for news regarding the Sioux name and only two articles regarding the Spirit Lake letter came up. It may be in the media in ND but not on a regional or national level, thus I don't think the NCAA will feel any pressure to respond...just my opinion.

The information will get out. It doesn't happen overnight in some cases. The email was just sent out last night from Spirit Lake and was forwarded all over the place. Fox and Friends has been contacted as well. This will gain attention and the NCAA will feel pressure when they receive emails as we are pushing for people to email the NCAA and Fox and Friends.

Letters like that make me Proud to only be a Sioux fan but to from North Dakota. I am proud of the history of that the Sioux nation has given all of us from the state of North Dakota.

Go Sioux and Sioux Forever!!!

I think most of your pride should be directed toward Sioux Tribal members as they have continued to over and over again not give up on what is right.

UND Sioux fans and supporters have not done nearly enough in my humble opinion.

Losing the name will be a great injustice and we all know that, yet where is the passion to resist this wrong that is being perpetrated on all of us?

There should be an organization to keep the name, a web site, planned protests, lobbying the state and NCAA, and who is going to fork out a bit-o-cash and buy a billboard sign in Grand Forks that reads,

"YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY OUR NAME! WE ARE THE FIGHTING SIOUX!"

I think most of your pride should be directed toward Sioux Tribal members as they have continued to over and over again not give up on what is right.

UND Sioux fans and supporters have not done nearly enough in my humble opinion.

Losing the name will be a great injustice and we all know that, yet where is the passion to resist this wrong that is being perpetrated on all of us?

There should be an organization to keep the name, a web site, planned protests, lobbying the state and NCAA, and who is going to fork out a bit-o-cash and buy a billboard sign in Grand Forks that reads,

"YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY OUR NAME! WE ARE THE FIGHTING SIOUX!"

Now I must ask...What have you done? You come on here talking all your talk but have you done anything? Im sorry to say but it's people like you who sit around doing nothing to help assist in the process. Im sick of people assuming that the people of Standing Rock are to blame. I myself have been deeply involved in this for nearly a year and I have done something and I will continue to do what I can until it's over for good. If your a so called "Supporter" get off your @$$ and DO SOMETHING!

Now I must ask...What have you done? You come on here talking all your talk but have you done anything? Im sorry to say but it's people like you who sit around doing nothing to help assist in the process. Im sick of people assuming that the people of Standing Rock are to blame. I myself have been deeply involved in this for nearly a year and I have done something and I will continue to do what I can until it's over for good. If your a so called "Supporter" get off your @$$ and DO SOMETHING!

Your a fiesty one dani_3333.

If you are looking for an argument don't look toward me.

This issue is not about you and not about ME that is for sure. What I have done or not done or can do or can't do would be a waste of time discussion here.

What matters here is what has happened and NOT happened on a community level. and the facts of the matter are that most of the significant actions since the settlement have been done by the tribes NOT the rest of the Sioux fans.

It needs to happen and pointing that out is valid regardless of my role in the whole thing..

So simmer down and keep you eye on the ball!

Your a fiesty one dani_3333.

If you are looking for an argument don't look toward me.

This issue is not about you and not about ME that is for sure. What I have done or not done or can do or can't do would be a waste of time discussion here.

What matters here is what has happened and NOT happened on a community level. and the facts of the matter are that most of the significant actions since the settlement have been done by the tribes NOT the rest of the Sioux fans.

It needs to happen and pointing that out is valid regardless of my role in the whole thing..

So simmer down and keep you eye on the ball!

Not fiesty just upset with how much people will complain about nothing being done yet nobody is willing to do anything. I understand where your coming from but from the settlement the ultimate choice was to be made by the 2 Sioux Tribes. Well unfortunantly Standing Rock has 2 leaders who have alot of control and those 2 people are the ones preventing the vote. Archie has fought and fought and because of those 2 people can't get anywhere.

There was nothing the community could do. Now is the time....it's the final stretch and if your a "supporter" take 5 minutes and send emails to show just how much the name and logo has affected the community, UND, the state of ND, the country. Everywhere you go you see someone wearing fighting sioux gear. Time to show the NCAA and the SBoHE just how much the majority appeciate, honor, and respect the name and logo.

I am and will hold out hope that the "New" President of the NCAA will see some light from the letter and make the RIGHT call!!

Not fiesty just upset with how much people will complain about nothing being done yet nobody is willing to do anything. I understand where your coming from but from the settlement the ultimate choice was to be made by the 2 Sioux Tribes. Well unfortunantly Standing Rock has 2 leaders who have alot of control and those 2 people are the ones preventing the vote. Archie has fought and fought and because of those 2 people can't get anywhere.

There was nothing the community could do. Now is the time....it's the final stretch and if your a "supporter" take 5 minutes and send emails to show just how much the name and logo has affected the community, UND, the state of ND, the country. Everywhere you go you see someone wearing fighting sioux gear. Time to show the NCAA and the SBoHE just how much the majority appeciate, honor, and respect the name and logo.

I am and will hold out hope that the "New" President of the NCAA will see some light from the letter and make the RIGHT call!!

I too will hold out hope, however, if UND doesn't even support keeping the name, it is unlikely the NCAA will do anything. Look at the current administration; people like Robert O'Kelley were brought in for the specific reason of retiring the nickname. He has no ties to the people/area/history of North Dakota and could care less about keeping the nickname. For him it's all about moving to division 1 and new marketing efforts.

None of North Dakota's politicians had any say on the matter until nearly the very end. (Even then Hoeven could have come out much stronger on this issue.) At least he wasn't mute on the subject like the rest of the state's so called leaders.

It's easy to look back and say people could have done more. Unfortunately the decision has been taken away from the people that value it the most.

It sucks. The majority of American Indians and the majority of everyone else is in FAVOR of the name. Unfortunately, in this day and age, that doesn't matter. I have done everything you have listed above, it doesn't matter. The State Board is in charge, and they are committed to drop the name. I hate hate hate this fact.