SiouxSports.com Forum

My Experience at Madison

Watchout for Flying Pucks

We had a good time in Wisconsin. Had some hostile fans but thats expected in every visiting city. We had a security guy come up to us on Saturday night and tell us they were actually watching this Wisconsin fan "He was being obnoxious, vulgar, middle fingers towards us etc..." and said that other Wisco fans were complaining about him as well. He was a season ticket holder and if he kept it up he would lose them. Anyways it turned out to be a great hockey weekend. Sorry to hear about the punch, thats pretty low in any book.

This might explain a little of it though

Wisconsin man shoots TV over Bristol Palin 'Dancing with the Stars' performance | Grand Forks Herald

I graduated soon after the 1987 Championship......I also miss the old atmosphere. I know it will never happen but the student section should be right behind the goal that we shoot @ twice.

I agree with this idea. It would be more intimidating having the students on the back of the goalie for two periods. I know I've seen that at Maine and at Wisconsin, not sure if any other schools do it. Personally, I believe it's the best place to watch a hockey game.

I agree with this idea. It would be more intimidating having the students on the back of the goalie for two periods. I know I've seen that at Maine and at Wisconsin, not sure if any other schools do it. Personally, I believe it's the best place to watch a hockey game.

Added benefit of more ticket revenue from red line seats...

That would make the student section small or spread out because the bar is right above the goalie...and don't forget the zamboni entrance taking seats away too.

That would make the student section small or spread out because the bar is right above the goalie...and don't forget the zamboni entrance taking seats away too.

It may wrap around a little bit and they could still have the two corners in the upper level. They could also flip the ice (switch the home side) so the zamboni entrance doesn't come into play. I don't see the students giving up the center ice seats any time soon though.

It may wrap around a little bit and they could still have the two corners in the upper level. They could also flip the ice (switch the home side) so the zamboni entrance doesn't come into play. I don't see the students giving up the center ice seats any time soon though.

Yea center ice is a beautiful place to be!

A lot of us wouldn't be too excited about giving up our seats on that end either.

Yea that would probably be the biggest road block and im sure the students wouldnt want to change either.

Not to mention the people with the bar seats at $1500 a seat would HATE being surrounded by students and that would clearly be the "student" Bar.

It does work best to have them where they are at. I think it is better if they can get at the goalie but the arena isn't designed for that.

Also St Cloud has their student on the end line sides that Huskies shoot at twice. The "suites" are behind the net in the wall.

Not to mention the people with the bar seats at $1500 a seat would HATE being surrounded by students and that would clearly be the "student" Bar.

It does work best to have them where they are at. I think it is better if they can get at the goalie but the arena isn't designed for that.

Also St Cloud has their student on the end line sides that Huskies shoot at twice. The "suites" are behind the net in the wall.

Other places give the students the best seats.

I hate Duke but you can't deny the home court advantage. That's the way it used to be at the Old Ralph

both denver and colorado springs have the student section behind the goalie

both denver and colorado springs have the student section behind the goalie

The student section is very close to the side of the goal where the Sioux shoot twice. It's not like they're that far away AND they surround the penalty box. I don't see any reason to move them.

*My seats aren't behind that goal so my observation isn't based on losing my seats to students.*

My experience with Wisconsin fans has been somewhat of a mixed bag. Once, while in Madison to attend a Minnesota-Wisconsin football game, I was wearing a Fighting Sioux sweater while waiting in line at a steakhouse. A Badger fan came up to me and queried, "Didn't you get on the wrong plane at Denver?" Well, I guess that really wasn't too bad, all in all. At another Minnesota-Wisconsin football game at the Metrodome recently a graduate school buddy (we both attended Mizzou for grad school, and my buddy earned his undergraduate degree from UW-Madison) and I were both wearing Mizzou clothing and sitting up in the nose-bleed section of the Metrodome with a group of about a dozen Badger fans. Those Badger fans were fabulous to talk to and joke with and were highly appreciative and respectful of the excellent season Mizzou was having on the football field. If I recall correctly, it was a season Mizzou eventually reached a No. 1 ranking in the country only to lose in the Big 12 title game. We also had an opportunity to watch the University of Minnesota Marching Band wend its way up to the Metrodome Plaza where it put on an outstanding performance. Then, after the game, while waiting for the crowd to disperse, we listened to the University of Wisconsin Marching Band with its Fifth Quarter performance. Two outstanding university bands that really added flavor to an outstanding and memorable day. On that day those Badger fans were great. They were also most appreciative of UND's outstanding hockey program. A most satisfying day.

My experience with Wisconsin fans has been somewhat of a mixed bag. Once, while in Madison to attend a Minnesota-Wisconsin football game, I was wearing a Fighting Sioux sweater while waiting in line at a steakhouse. A Badger fan came up to me and queried, "Didn't you get on the wrong plane at Denver?" Well, I guess that really wasn't too bad, all in all. At another Minnesota-Wisconsin football game at the Metrodome recently a graduate school buddy (we both attended Mizzou for grad school, and my buddy earned his undergraduate degree from UW-Madison) and I were both wearing Mizzou clothing and sitting up in the nose-bleed section of the Metrodome with a group of about a dozen Badger fans. Those Badger fans were fabulous to talk to and joke with and were highly appreciative and respectful of the excellent season Mizzou was having on the football field. If I recall correctly, it was a season Mizzou eventually reached a No. 1 ranking in the country only to lose in the Big 12 title game. We also had an opportunity to watch the University of Minnesota Marching Band wend its way up to the Metrodome Plaza where it put on an outstanding performance. Then, after the game, while waiting for the crowd to disperse, we listened to the University of Wisconsin Marching Band with its Fifth Quarter performance. Two outstanding university bands that really added flavor to an outstanding and memorable day. On that day those Badger fans were great. They were also most appreciative of UND's outstanding hockey program. A most satisfying day.

• Downvote 2

This entire post is silly. Somebody was mean to me in an opposing team's arena!!!! Boo hoo. Stay home if you can't defend yourself in the enemy territory. I have worn many a Sioux jersey to Houghton, Duluth, MSP, Mankato, Madison, Denver and CC. People in those arenas get upset when they see Sioux colors for some reason. True that fans should not pick on you for being from the other team, but they do. If you can't handle it, stay home. I have never had a problem at any enemy building for being a UND alum. Twits are everywhere. Move on with your life. I am in Iraq. People are mean to us here too.

• Downvote 3

It's fun to watch the students "interact" with the fellows in the penalty box, too.

Traditional Farce territory. A time-honored tradition of needling d-bags like Ethier among many others.

Home ice advantage indeed.

"Who's she? She sucks!" <<<I miss that one at every home game I attend.

Wow dude chill out. There is a difference between heckling and drunk idiots yelling stuff and being physically assaulted because of what you are wearing.

I have to agree the fact that you were punched in the face by some drunk asshole is an assault and is unacceptable by anyone's standards seriously, if I had seen it I would have called the cops, because is no reason to get punched over a jersey or cheering for a team.

• Upvote 2

I don't condone the violence but I am sorry, for those on here clamoring for the old time hard nosed hockey, the stands to be rowdy the way the old Ralph was, Police are not the answer. The reason things can't be the way they used to be is because things have changed.

I love SIoux Hockey but it's college hockey and i am not going to jail/physically fight for it. We can't have things the way they used to be, no matter how great the memories are, that's a fact.

• Downvote 1