SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs Bulldogs - Friday

AZSIOUX

I heard the whistle and I was sitting in sec 303.... there is a good reason why that is type of behavior is a penalty. First, the no one on the defense is expecting a shot and is not prepared and secondly refs are trying to keep the game in control and if someone gets hurt by a late slap shot there is going to be a riot on the ice.....

It's not a rule?

I didn't hear the whistle, but the Sioux players didn't like the shot. I'm not saying that it should be called at that point of the game, but I don't think it was a makeup call either.

I wouldn't call it a make up call, it's a call to prevent further after the whistle B.S. and basically prevent a brawl from happening. In watching the game I thought the younger Shepherd and the Buffoon reffing with him was brutal last night and there were a lot of crappy calls both ways and a lot of calls that should have been called bioth ways that weren't called. When I got home I watched about half of the game as well and the reffing looked even worse on the TV screen. I think the league looks like a bunch of bumbling idiots/dolts with some of the refs they have on the ice calling game. I can't believe they can't get some better refs from USA hockey that are better than this. I was told by a friend of mine that worked for the USHL that they wouldn't take any of the clowns that the WCHA has reffing today. Shepherd (X3), McLown have to go.

The shooting after the whistle call is tough...on one hand, you hate to see an penalty at 18:30 of the third in a one goal game, on the other hand you can't have players taking liberties on another team's goalie by shooting the puck.

I contend that if it happened on a Saturday night game it wouldn't be called, but because the teams play again tonight, the refs had to call it to avoid the law of the jungle tonight.

Nice win by the Sioux, nice gutty work by guys not normally in the lineup. Davidson's work on the forecheck reminded me to wonder why he doesn't skate a regular shift on the energy line? He is big and strong and aggressive out there.

Our depth is remarkable. If you look at the stats, UMD's top line forwards are their 1,2, and 3 leading scorers.

Our top 3 scorers are the center on the first line, a winger on the 2nd line and a winger on the first line. Big production out of two lines. I also think it is deceiving, as our two highest drafted forwards (Nelson and Kristo) have gotten off to slow starts in terms of point production and skate on the third scoring line.

I heard the whistle and I was sitting in sec 303.... there is a good reason why that is type of behavior is a penalty. First, the no one on the defense is expecting a shot and is not prepared and secondly refs are trying to keep the game in control and if someone gets hurt by a late slap shot there is going to be a riot on the ice.....

I you do what Justin Fontaine did in a NHL game he would get his ass beat to a pulp. He is lucky the WCHA has a DQ rule for Fighting, he wouldn't make that shot in a league like the NAHL, CHL or USHL because he knows that he have to fight.

I you do what Fontain (SP) did in a NHL game he would get his ass beat to a pulp. He is lucky the WCHA has a DQ rule for Fighting, he wouldn't make that shot in a league like the NAHL, CHL or USHL because he knows that he have to fight.

If only there was not a DQ fighting rule...

Imagine how clean the game would be if you had to own up to your actions??

no facemasks and five for fighting...you would see the junk play all but vanish.

Nice win by the Sioux - they showed good energy throughout the game. I'm still waiting for goals to come in bunches. With our talent, it should happen.

Agreed...the Sioux OWNED the puck for a nice stretch in the 2nd...best they have looked all year...

What was up with the shooting after the whistle penalty? Seemed like a pretty crappy home town ref call.

That rule has been on the books for decades. I remember Mike Stone (now you know how long I have been around) for the Sioux getting the same penalty for a shot after the whistle. The shot came long after the whistle and was well deserved. The Sioux players knew it too as they went after the Denver player. It is not a makeup call. It was completely valid.

If only there was not a DQ fighting rule...

Imagine how clean the game would be if you had to own up to your actions??

no facemasks and five for fighting...you would see the junk play all but vanish.

Players like C-Piss, Roe and a few others would have to change their games if they had to answer for their actions on the ice, that is why I like the NHL.

I've always respected the Bulldog program. If that shot by Fontaine was intentional, I think Sandy is the type of coach to let him know that he cost his team a chance to tie by being stupid and selfish.

In watching the game again, there was some extracurricular activity going on earlier...Knight was getting chippy with some Dogs and so were Hexy and Lammy...you don't call that a penalty and all hell breaks loose.

Kristo and Nelson both did a lot of things right last night...all but put the puck in the net...when it starts coming with those guys (and it will) there will be goals.

Bruce Ciskie's Twitter rant:

He's trashing Sioux fans for whining about the refs after a Sioux loss and yet, there he is whining about the refs after a Duluth loss.

Well I never had any respect for him, but I think it's a legitimate question whether or not they'd make that call in that situation all the time. If they would there's nothing to complain about, if not then....