SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Whities of UNC

jimdahl

Gotta say, I'm not offended:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....ities_2

A bunch of students at Northern Colorado have decided to name their team "fighting whities" in an attempt to offend white people who don't understand how native american names are offensive.

Personally, I find it demonstrates just the opposite -- I'm not offended at all.  Frankly, "whities" is kind of a stupid name, but I would be similarly unoffended had they gone with a white ethnic group ("Fighting Norskes", "Fighting Irish", etc...).

Here is the best one

I play on the team and the team has more whites and hispanics then native americans.  This has been blown way out of context.  It was meant as a joke and some people in society have made a big stir.  These people have nothing better to do than complain about a mascot, GET A LIFE.  

Scott

UNC Greeley

Who cares what they are called. Call them the Inbred Redneck Crackers, if you want.  I have much bigger concerns.

Get it right, Diggler. It's "Redneck Inbred Trailer-trash Cracker Honkeys" or "RITCH" for short!

We're RITCH!

(You'll have to imagine the "sittin' on the porch with a PBR and a shotgun wearing a t-shirt and scratchin' themself" mascot for yourself.)

When surveyed, 81% of Native Americans said no when asked if high schools or colleges should change their Indian related monikers. 81%. (source: Sports Illustrated, March 4, 2002)

I think I want one:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53%7E458922,00.html

Wednesday, March 13, 2002  - The Fightin' Whities, an intramural basketball team of American Indians at the University of Northern Colorado, has been flooded with requests for T-shirts since news broke of the team's satirical mascot protest.

On Tuesday, the student basketball team set up an e-mail account to start taking orders - even though players have not yet figured out exactly how to mass-produce their shirts.

Many are clamoring for T-shirts bearing the team mascot - a 1950s-style caricature of a middle-aged white guy - and the phrase "Every thang's gonna be all white!"

i think it's great! and would love a t-shirt too, but

The Fightin' Whities expect to charge about $20 for their shirts and will donate all profits to a Native American cause that has yet to be determined

likely to fund name change protests?!

i think i'd prefer to print up my own than contribute to a name-change war chest

anybody got a good graphic i can use? ???

I kinda wish someone had named their team the Fighting Whities decades ago.  I think it's a great name.  I'd cheer for the Fighting Whities.

I understand what they are trying to do.  Unfortunately they are about 30 years too late for anyone to actually be offended by the name.

While I think the idea is funny, I actually think their logic is flawed.  If the vast majority of whites are not insulted or even amused by it (as I am ;) ) they run the risk of further marginalizing nickname opponents at UND, Illinois, etc. as fringe elements who preach to the choir and are largely ignored by the vast majority of society.  

Preach on brother! ???  I'm  going to try to order my own "Fighting Whities" t-shirt.  

BTW:  If Fighting Sioux goes by the wayside in about 300 or 400 years, maybe Fighting Whities would be a suitable replacement.   ;)

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh on thursday and I guess the shirts are a big hit, according to Rush there is a huge demand for them and I guess a lot of people want to get a shirt like that.

I want one. I like fighting white guys better though.

On the back page of one of the pages in the Grand Forks Hearld is the same old tired full page ad asking UND to drop the name.

• 2 weeks later...
"I think it's time institutions look at changing names," he said. "It's the right thing to do. I always look at how many national groups are supporting name changes and when I look at them, there's a lot. Then I look at how many have come forward to say it's okay to use American Indian names with athletics and I can't think of one. I think that says a whole lot right there."

This is a quote by Prof. Jeanotte in a Dakota Student article.

So, the whole NA poplulation doesn't count as a "group".  (referring to the SI poll/article).

You need to have a "group" to be relevant?

Very sad.