SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday Thread: UND @ USD

UNDvince97-01

Of the 4 Dakota teams that moved up do DI, who do you think is doing the worst at this point in time? We started the journey with a SOLID DII program. It kills me to see all of the Dakota schools ahead of us. Mussman needs to get his s**t together

South Dakota State is 0-4 this year and they made the transition several years ahead of UND. I don't think they are any better as a program. NDSU went 3-8 last year after finishing the transition. They are playing much better this year. UND beat USD 13 out of the last 14, with the only loss in that stretch being back in 2005. A second loss in 15 games doesn't make USD a better program. I think that you're jumping the gun a little bit saying that the other Dakota schools are so far ahead of UND. South Dakota was the better team on the field today, they made fewer mistakes and they were at home. It doesn't mean that they are a better program.

I missed the game today, but reading through this thread it appears that turnovers were a major problem, just as they were in the other two losses this season. That and that coaching appears to be suspect, from what I read from other posters. Is there a general consensus that Mussman is not the man to bring UND to the level that Sioux fans demand?

I missed the game today, but reading through this thread it appears that turnovers were a major problem, just as they were in the other two losses this season. That and that coaching appears to be suspect, from what I read from other posters. Is there a general consensus that Mussman is not the man to bring UND to the level that Sioux fans demand?

I think there's a general consensus that his first two recruiting classes were excellent and, given two more good recruiting seasons, he'll be in position to improve on his first two seasons which were both 6-5, more than a reasonable accomplishment for a new FCS program (using virtually all recruits from his predecessor). Chances are, we may not reach 6-5 this year, but I'd expect next year to be an excellent springboard for our first year of playoff eligibility (2012).

I always feel it is embarrassing to lose to the Yotes............especially when they dominate us. This was just like the 2005 game.

We were dominated in every phase of the game, but the defense was particularly poor, and really, it has been for 3 seasons now.

I always feel it is embarrassing to lose to the Yotes............especially when they dominate us. This was just like the 2005 game.

We were dominated in every phase of the game, but the defense was particularly poor, and really, it has been for 3 seasons now.

I think USD is a better football team than the Sioux this year, and probably was last year too. Not saying the Sioux are really bad, just reality. Even before the loss of Bamba and now Sutton (for only awhile I hope) and maybe some others, the Sioux have a shortage of numbers/talent at the skill positions including QB on offense. A key part of defense is controlling the offensive line of scrimmage and moving the ball downfield to take time off the board (see WIU against NDSU). Until we are able to move the ball consistently downfield on the ground and with an effective short passing game we are going to suffer losses to better teams like USD and Idaho. Upsets of better teams happen when you maintain ball possession, get a break or two and score when you have the ball in the red zone. Right now the Sioux are not getting much of this done. I think the Great West is very tough this year. Two losses may still get a piece of first place, but the Sioux need to get more consistent on offense. If Sutton returns that will help as will some better play calling.

South Dakota State is 0-4 this year and they made the transition several years ahead of UND. I don't think they are any better as a program.

South Dakota State might be winless this season but the computer rankings list them ahead of us still: 27 vs 40!

We will find out who the better team is Nov 20 in Brookings.

South Dakota State might be winless this season but the computer rankings list them ahead of us still: 27 vs 40!

I don't put a whole lot of stock in computer rankings, especially in the first half of the season. The rankings are too skewed by the original projections, no matter how inaccurate they may be. It is always better to play a team to get a better feeling for which team is better. But the better team doesn't always win, sometimes it's the lucky team that wins.

• Upvote 1

I really wanted to believe that we'd see a marked improvement for the defense this year, because on paper the talent level seems to be pretty good. But the reality is that although there have been some stretches of good play, I don't believe the defense is an area of strength right now, and as you mentioned it hasn't been for three or four years.

Mussman may or may not be the guy to take this program to the level of where it needs to be but I'm seriously concerned about the quality of coaches we can bring into this program with how poorly our head and assistant football coaches are paid. It's inexcusable that Idalski is making more than Mussman and it will absolutely kill this program if this situation continues.

Mussman may or may not be the guy to take this program to the level of where it needs to be but I'm seriously concerned about the quality of coaches we can bring into this program with how poorly our head and assistant football coaches are paid. It's inexcusable that Idalski is making more than Mussman and it will absolutely kill this program if this situation continues.

I found a link to head coaches' salaries for the 2009-10 school year, and at least as of last year Mussman makes more than Idalski: http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

SDSU has played . . . IL St., UNI, NE, and Delaware. Not too many autowins and DIIs in that group. I don't think any of us deserve to be talking smack about SDSU's record. Let's hope they don't take it out on the ND schools later this year. If they were playing the yotes next week, I'd be picking the jacks in that one.