SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs U OF. MANITOBA

AZSIOUX

I was hoping we could get through an off-season without anything like this.

Hopefully he learns from it and moves on.

Go Sioux!

No big deal in my opinion.He is a college student and he plays hockey and he likes beer.The lesson learned is don't get caught anymore.

• Upvote 1

Let's hope this is the last incident of this type.

Sit Kristo for the semester. Replace him with Jocelyn or Monique. They understand what it means to wear the Fighting Sioux jersey. They honor the tradition of Fighting Sioux hockey with their words and actions. Kristo's actions indicate that liquor is important to him. He should get a job bartending or mopping the floors of pubs. Then his spare energy can be aligned with booze, which obviously is of interest to him.

• Downvote 4

Sit Kristo for the semester. Replace him with Jocelyn or Monique. They understand what it means to wear the Fighting Sioux jersey. They honor the tradition of Fighting Sioux hockey with their words and actions. Kristo's actions indicate that liquor is important to him. He should get a job bartending or mopping the floors of pubs. Then his spare energy can be aligned with booze, which obviously is of interest to him.

WOW!!! You are and obviously have been perfect then???????? He's a college kid that is enjoying college life, his team-mates, and playing hockey! You don't think dedicated college players ever take a drink????? Your fantasy world sounds great............

Now, just take a deep breath and calm down. Hak has always done what is needed to keep players in check. Things like this happen all over, look at all the off-ice stuff that happened at Notre Dame and out east this summer.

• Upvote 1

I agree......just give Kristo his release from the program!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry::silly:

We don't need players like him here. I bet he'd transfer to Minnesota or something like that.....hah! Let them have him! :lol:

UND should have done the same to Toews, Oshie, Frattin, Brandt, Parise, all those college students that decided to drink.....of all things to do while in college!

He should get a job bartending or mopping the floors of pubs. Then his spare energy can be aligned with booze, which obviously is of interest to him.

Should all people who partake in consuming alcoholic beverages give up their dreams and become bartenders?

Did you know that heavy drinkers live longer than people who abstain completely from alcohol? And people who drink in moderation ( a couple drinks a day) have been shown to live the longest of all three groups? Kind of sucks considering I drink very rarely.

• Upvote 1

I gave you a minus for that post, first time I've ever tried doing that.

Is it right that Kristo did this? NO. But, to judge like you just did is pretty rotten. He screwed up, it was a bonehead thing, but it happens. There was a party in GF recently that had a huge number cited, maybe over 100 if I remember correctly, maybe Kristo was one of them.

• Upvote 2

I was the exact opposite in college.

I very rarely drank, and yet I was a bartender for over 2 years. :)

Funny.... all of my friends that I know who have worked as a bartender sometime in their lives do not often partake in alcohol. If they do, it is rarely in a bar (usually at their own place).

I'm not saying all bartenders don't drink, never get drunk, or hang out in bars even after they no longer tend bar, but it is an interesting trend among my former bartending friends.

As for Kristo, he got caught underage drinking. He wasn't doing something stupid like Finley did. He wasn't driving drunk like Greene did. He was doing what seemingly most underage college students do: drink underage.

This is a problem, but it isn't Kristo. This is a problem on almost every college campus in the U.S. (and every other college in a country whose drinking age is 21 or older).

Benching or kicking Kristo off the team is simply a moron's way of saying "We only want perfect citizens." Hey, that's cool with me, man. Go root for Air Force or Army or St. Pristine the Immaculate. I don't care.

He's paying a price. Is it too severe? No. Did Hakstol ignore it like Lucia (largely) ignored the Frazee situation? Nope. Is Kristo heading the way that Frattin did? No.

He made a mistake. So, let's just live with it like Kristo is and move on. Leave the crappy outcry to the Gopher fans and all those who make a living at taking pot shots at UND.

Should all people who partake in consuming alcoholic beverages give up their dreams and become bartenders?

Did you know that heavy drinkers live longer than people who abstain completely from alcohol? And people who drink in moderation ( a couple drinks a day) have been shown to live the longest of all three groups? Kind of sucks considering I drink very rarely.

I'd love to see evidence of that.

The rest of your claim is valid, though.

There are heavy drinkers who live a very long time, like there are smokers who have lived longer than the average nonsmoker (see George Burns, for example). However, those are exceptions to the rules rather than the rules themselves.

Keith Richards has lived about 15 years longer than he should have. Neil Young is right behind him. Doesn't mean that all those drugs and alcohol they've consumed has helped them get this far.

Sorry to hijack the topic. Now back to Kristo bashing. :D

Thanks for several interesting statements that are presented as facts. Do you know if alcohol consumption improves athletic performance?

As for Kristo, he got caught underage drinking. He wasn't doing something stupid like Finley did. He wasn't driving drunk like Greene did. He was doing what seemingly most underage college students do: drink underage.

This is a problem, but it isn't Kristo. This is a problem on almost every college campus in the U.S. (and every other college in a country whose drinking age is 21 or older).

I will agree that underage drinking is a problem on many college campuses. Should the per capita percent of student athletes who enter the criminal justice system because of alcohol violations be greater than, less than, or equal to the non-athletic student populations? Any idea how these numbers shake at UND?

I will only say that with the examples that have been in the public eye for the last few years, that I would hope that players would think twice about this kind of activity, especially when the team is primed for a great season. I guess kids will be kids, but I don't think it is too much to ask that there is a little self-sacrifice for a common good or at least a little more discrete behavior. I think if most players can focus so hard on getting to the pros by sacrificing most of their time and energy on making themselves better, they should be able to hold off for a year or two in "other pursuits". I don't think it has to be a given that all kids drink underage, especially for those that deny themselves in so many other ways with their time and energy.

I'd love to see evidence of that.

The rest of your claim is valid, though.

There are heavy drinkers who live a very long time, like there are smokers who have lived longer than the average nonsmoker (see George Burns, for example). However, those are exceptions to the rules rather than the rules themselves.

Keith Richards has lived about 15 years longer than he should have. Neil Young is right behind him. Doesn't mean that all those drugs and alcohol they've consumed has helped them get this far.

Next time, do a little research before you start your lecture.

• Downvote 1

For all we know, it could have been Kristo's first time ever having a drink...not likely, but you never know. What if it was one sip of his first beer ever, and bam, got busted? Does that make him a bad guy? I don't know the situation, so I'll hold off judgment.