SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD vs. UMN

01grad

What will be the outcome this weekend?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome this weekend?

• Bulldog Sweep
    • Gopher Sweep
    • Split
    • Bulldog win and tie
    • Gopher win and tie

I think both games will be very exciting and close. I could have had the choice of 2 ties, but that would probably be taking it a little too far, unless you are Cleo :D and already know the future. I wonder if a split would benefit the Sioux the most or the Gophers losing both? It may be too early to determine this, though I would like to see the Bulldogs do better than the Gophers in the longrun. The Gophers have a lot of events planned such as the Herb Brooks ceremony and raising of the banner, but I don't think these things would give either team an advantage emotionally to win. The game is still played the same way in my opinion. The Bulldogs will be more pumped to kick some Gopher butt and the Gophers will be out to defend their dignity from the previous poor play and their banner. This should create for an intense game. Friday will be a tie and the Bulldogs will win Saturday.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the Bulldogs in Grand Forks, I feel they look like a team poised to be a serious contender in the WCHA. It all starts at goaltending; and with Reichmuth the Dogs will win games because he will give them the opprotunity to. Snipers like Lessard and Stapleton will get their share of goals in the WCHA.

I look for a split, though I would love to see a UND Sweep!!!!

Shouldn't you guys be bitchin about the refs instead of actually talkin about hockey

I don't know, shouldn't you be talking about hockey instead of bitching about our right to express opinions prevalent to the UND Hockey team?

Oops, sorry, too big words. Here's a simplification:

If you don't have something productive to say, shut up. :D

In the overall scheme of things, here's how I think this series pans out:

This series is most important to UMD. UM can afford to lose, UMD cannot. Why do I say that? UM was not that great last year early on. Of course, we were busy laughing at them and calling them the Golden Chokers as par usual and then the second half began and they ended up going back to back. Even if UMD sweeps, Gopher fans shouldn't be that concerned.

For UMD, if they get swept, they'll lose more than just two games. They'll be seen clearly as a third best team at best behiind UM and UND and will surely drop out of the rankings. They need at least a split with UM to maintain their focus towards making it big in the WCHA this season. They lost to UND and came close to winning against BC, but they didn't ever hold a commanding presence in either games despite a tie vs BC and nearly winning vs UND. This series will determine where they end up and where they stand. If UMD sweeps, look for big things to happen for the Bulldogs this season. If they get swept, look for a lot of disappointment and the hype will evaporate around the team.

My prediction: I voted for a UM sweep, but now that I think of it, I'm not so sure. I think it will be close either way. Goaltending will definitely be the key and overtime is a high liklihood for at least one of the games. I chose UM over UMD because Stapleton was really the only offensive threat I saw when we played them at the Ralph. UM has a LOT of offense. Look at it this way: UM vs UMD is a lot like the 1999 Dallas Stars vs Buffalo Sabres in the stanley cup finals. Stars = massive offense and Sabres = massive defense.

UM vs UMD is a lot like the 1999 Dallas Stars vs Buffalo Sabres in the stanley cup finals. Stars = massive offense and Sabres = massive defense.

And we all know how that ended up don't we? I guess that would mean that the Goph's just have TOO MUCH firepower for Duluth, but I would love to see the BullDogs stick it to 'em!

And we all know how that ended up don't we? I guess that would mean that the Goph's just have TOO MUCH firepower for Duluth, but I would love to see the BullDogs stick it to 'em!

Yes, Hull had his foot in the crease when he beat Hasek and the rest is history. :)

Despite what USCHO says, I think it really is a series to watch. Definitely the only major matchup in the WCHA besides UM vs UND.

This may be a little off topic, but is the Lee Davidson that is an Asst. Coach at UMD the same Lee Davidson from Winnipeg that played for the Sioux in the late 80's/early 90's?

Yes, I believe that is right; a teammate of Sandelin's in '86.

I predict the Dogs win Friday. on an overtime goal by TJ Caig.

Saturday I predict there will be no TV.

Farce speaketh truth & wisdom for the Sioux mass who hunger for His knowledge...

WOW! Impressive win for the Dogs! I don't think the Gopher machine is as invincible as everyone thought it would be. Now there will be, for sure, some who will state that it's still early in the season & that the Gophers are a mighty juggernaut & that this is just another wake-up call...Right, uh huh...they're strong but hardly a shoe-in for a 3-peat...

I tip my hat to the Dogs who rose to the challenge...

I thought they would have ridden the unveiling of the championship banner to victory. If that doesn't get a team fired up, what does? Although Vanek's goal was a gem, their lack of emotion as a team after their first goal even elicited coherent comments from Wooger.

I am still convinced they are a shoo-in for a three-peat; really I am! Apparently, based on their start, they are too.