SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD vs. UMN

01grad

What will be the outcome this weekend?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome this weekend?

• Bulldog Sweep
    • Gopher Sweep
    • Split
    • Bulldog win and tie
    • Gopher win and tie

And Wisco barely survives national powerhouse :) Quinnipiac in overtime. I bet Suter is already kicking himself for not signing with Nashville.

There is never a time when Suter can't just up and leave. However, I don't think he will. This is good experience for him. Knowing that he alone cannot carry a team and that the team must live or go down together is important. After all, he's going to NASHVILLE. It's not like they're a powerhouse.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a weird game. UMD did get the bad goaltending they needed from JJ, although he made some good saves in the 2nd period, he just couldn't make the big save to either win the game or keep it tied.

The ref didn't call the clutch/grab (UMD at times) or the roughing/interference from both teams. He did call the stickwork tight and the Gophers took some STUPID penalties that killed momentum.

The Gophers will need to score 4 goals in the games they intend to win until February when hopefully the defense and goalies will get it figured out.

I was at work during the game...but I taped it!! That was a really sloppy performance by both teams. Turnovers galore...the Dogs never looked comfortable on the power play, and gave the Gophs every opportunity to put the game away in the third. Goaltending did prove to be the difference in this one. Reich robbed some point blank chances (did you see that glove save he had??!!). The Dogs stock should rise nicely following this game. :)

Looking at the reffing for both games via the box scores doesn't yield too many clues about the quality of refs except for in the MTU game. 8 penalties the entire game for both teams combined. WOW. I could only wish we could see a low penalty calling game at the Ralph.

As for the UMD MN game, reffing wise, 12 penalties, which seems to be average in a game. I wish I could have watched any of the games last night.

Tonight: I think MN wins and this time it will be 3-2 or 2-1. No overtime. last goal comes with less than 2 min in the 3rd.

I could only wish we could see a low penalty calling game at the Ralph.

I only agree with this when we are playing a quality team that plays clean. Too often clutching and grabbing is not called. Other times they will call the first penalty, but refuse to call more because they don't want us on the powerplay the whole time. Of course in other cases, the penalties for each team must be the same for a game that was called well. :)

I'm not going to make any predictions on tonight's game, but the odds of the Bulldogs sweeping aren't that great. Gophers will/should come out steaming & be firin' away to avoid a demoralizing sweep at home. But the key variables for tonight's game, in my book, are Reichmuth & Ballard's abscence. The weak link, if any, with the Gophers is their defense & they'll probably have to score at least 4 goals to win tonight (like sagard said)...

Yeah, it will be tough to come away with a sweep at Mariucci. Riechmuth will have to be superb, as he was last night, in order for the Dogs to have a chance. Special teams will be a big key also. The Dogs need to step it up on the PP. Caig had a breakout game last night, so hopefully he will keep the scoring coming all season long! To be successful, the Dogs need to play much more solid defensively. We gave the Goophs waaaaaaay too many quality chances, especially in the third period. Boy, a sweep of the Goofs on the road would do wonders for our PWR. A split would be acceptible for me as well, as long as we don't get bombed tonight!! GO DOGS!!!!!

Ouch... that's about the biggest blow the gophers could take right now with their young defense and not-so-spiffy goaltending.

IMO, he's about the last player the Gophers could afford to loose. Luckily it's October and not February or March, but it still is going to hurt.

The only good thing (and this is a big time reach on my part) is it will force some other d-man to step up their play to fill the void.

Pointless story...

I was on a party bus last night so I only caught bits and pieces of the 2nd and 3rd period in various bars, and ended up watching the last part of the 3rd period and overtime at Muddy Rivers. When Duluth tied it up at the end, I smacked the guy sitting next to me and told him they tied it up and asked for a high five, and he and his wife started laughing. So we talked hockey for a bit, and they started rooting on Duluth with me. After Duluth won, I told them I had to call a friend in Minneapolis and rub it in that Duluth did win by 1 goal like I predicted because he was adamant that there was pretty much no way Duluth was going to win with all of the emotion of raising the banner and the tribute to Brooks Saturday night. We got his answering machine, and on the count of 3 this couple yelled "Gophers Suck!" into my phone with me. It was hilarious!! I don't even know if they were hockey fans, but they humored me at least. :)