SiouxSports.com Forum

wcha final standings

krangodance

i'm posting this scenario in hopes that our collective minds can either prove or disprove the possibility of this scenario playing out.

if the following all happen next weekend:

1. north dakota sweeps michigan tech

2. duluth gets 2 points or less against alaska-anchorage

3. st cloud is swept by mankato

then the sioux would finish the regular season in 3rd place in the wcha standings. i believe this is correct for the following reasons:

a. we'd have as many or more points than duluth and we have the head-to-head tie-breaker over duluth

b. we'd be tied with st cloud for points, we'd have a split in the head-to-head with st cloud, we'd have the same number of conference wins as st cloud, and we'd have less goals scored against us in the four games we've played against st cloud this season then st cloud had scored against them in those four games

i think scerios 1 and 2 above are quite likely. sweeping tech in grand forks should be expected; not that we should take tech for granted, but anything other than a sweep would be a disappointment. as far as scenario 2 is concerned, alaska-anchorage is just fiesty at home so i could easily see the seawolves taking 2 points or more from duluth next weekend. the third scenario is not very likely. i simply don't see mankato sweeping st cloud next weekend.

however, if all three scenarios play out as above, is the logic i've deployed above that leaves north dakota in 3rd place sound? is there something i'm missing that gives the tie-breaker to st cloud if all three scenarios above come true?

thanks

however, if all three scenarios play out as above, is the logic i've deployed above that leaves north dakota in 3rd place sound? is there something i'm missing that gives the tie-breaker to st cloud if all three scenarios above come true?

UND holds the tiebreaker over both UMD and SCSU, so if your above situation happened, UND would be in 3rd.

SCSU gets at least 2

Duluth gets 3 from UAA

UND gets 4 from MTU

Gophers get at least 2 (but 4 because F**K THE BADGERS)

GOPHERS @ UND BABY!!!

Roadtrip? Absolutely.

That is basically the scenario I have playing out. UMN at UND. I can't wait!

I could look it up, but when is the last time UMN wasn't at the Final Five??

i'm posting this scenario in hopes that our collective minds can either prove or disprove the possibility of this scenario playing out.

if the following all happen next weekend:

1. north dakota sweeps michigan tech

2. duluth gets 2 points or less against alaska-anchorage

3. st cloud is swept by mankato

then the sioux would finish the regular season in 3rd place in the wcha standings. i believe this is correct for the following reasons:

a. we'd have as many or more points than duluth and we have the head-to-head tie-breaker over duluth

b. we'd be tied with st cloud for points, we'd have a split in the head-to-head with st cloud, we'd have the same number of conference wins as st cloud, and we'd have less goals scored against us in the four games we've played against st cloud this season then st cloud had scored against them in those four games

i think scerios 1 and 2 above are quite likely. sweeping tech in grand forks should be expected; not that we should take tech for granted, but anything other than a sweep would be a disappointment. as far as scenario 2 is concerned, alaska-anchorage is just fiesty at home so i could easily see the seawolves taking 2 points or more from duluth next weekend. the third scenario is not very likely. i simply don't see mankato sweeping st cloud next weekend.

thanks

4th is the best we'll finish as there is no way msum will sweep the huskies.

logically speaking, yes, i agree with you. mathematically speaking, though, is my logic sound?

your logic is very sound, no disagreement. but to pin our third place hopes on a msum team sweeping the huskies I wouldn't bet on it plus having to hope duluth loses one to uaa that's a lot of counting on crappy teams to help us out.

your logic is very sound, no disagreement. but to pin our third place hopes on a msum team sweeping the huskies I wouldn't bet on it plus having to hope duluth loses one to uaa that's a lot of counting on crappy teams to help us out.

i'm not pinning hopes on anything. just wanted to make sure i understood where we stood on tie-breakers in the unlikely event we're tied for 3rd after next weekend.

it would be nice to move up to at least fourth though since then it would be possible for st cloud to go down in the first round of the playoffs, which would keep us out of the play-in game. i expect, though, that we'll need three wins in the final five to take the title.

I think that has a chance of happening and they are at Anchorage and UAA ussually splits at home. We hold the tie breaker with UMD.

I wouldn't overlook the P'cows. This is the WCHA after all.

What outcomes this last weekend would benefit us the most?

uaa over duluth

msum over scsu(this helps in the wcha and in the pairwise)

nationally

unh over bc

merrimack over providence

umass losing to whoever they play

Here is how I have things working out:

1. Denver-Splits with CC

2. Wisconsin -Splits with Goldy

3. SCSU-Splits with Mankato

4. Duluth-Sweeps UAA

5. UND-Sweeps Tech

6. CC

7. UM

8. Mankato

9. UAA

10. Tech

I don't think Denver will sweep CC this weekend, as they have already wrapped up the league, and CC is almost due for a win eventually. The Sioux will most likely sweep Tech, but I don't think that Duluth loses in Anchorage either. Goldy will play Bucky tough, but that series will end in a split. And SCSU and Kato will both win their home games....but hey, go Cows!

Lets all be happy the sioux got home ice! Any team that comes into the Ralph and takes two of three deserves to be at the X instead of the Sioux.