SiouxSports.com Forum

Where have all the Goals gone?

Irish

What's behind the Sioux scoring drought? In looking at the WCHA scoring leaders, the only Sioux in the top 25 are VandVelde with 6 goals and 10 assists and Gregoire with 10 goals and 6 assists (both tied for # 25). The only other Sioux in the top 50 are Trupp and Kristo. In contrast, Minnesota-Duluth has 4 in the top ten.

Season statistics for returners show that Gregoire has 13, VandeVelde 9, Trupp 5, Malone 7, Toews 4 and Zajac 3. For freshmen, Kristo has 8 and no one else has more than 3. Not one returner has taken the next step in his scoring, and other than Kristo, our Freshmen have been silent. Looking at the roster, I can't figure out what gives. Why aren't we scoring at all?

Is the idea that we can run 4 solid lines and wear people down and don't need high end scorers a foolish one?

Do we miss Genoway that much?

Is it our shooting, our passing, or our team speed?

Are we not getting the right recruits to score at this level?

Is it our offensive philosophy? Too much dump and chase and not enough crashing the net?

Are we just snake-bit?

Will things be better next year with pretty much the same team?

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it our offensive philosophy? Too much dump and chase and not enough crashing the net?

I have noticed that they have been doing the dump-and-chase a lot lately, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of chase. It also seems like a lot of their shots come from so far away from the net, they can get blocked easily or just plain go wide of the net. I would rather see them crash the net and give themselves a good chance of scoring.

What's behind the Sioux scoring drought? In looking at the WCHA scoring leaders, the only Sioux in the top 25 are VandVelde with 6 goals and 10 assists and Gregoire with 10 goals and 6 assists (both tied for # 25). The only other Sioux in the top 50 are Trupp and Kristo. In contrast, Minnesota-Duluth has 4 in the top ten.

Season statistics for returners show that Gregoire has 13, VandeVelde 9, Trupp 5, Malone 7, Toews 4 and Zajac 3. For freshmen, Kristo has 8 and no one else has more than 3. Not one returner has taken the next step in his scoring, and other than Kristo, our Freshmen have been silent. Looking at the roster, I can't figure out what gives. Why aren't we scoring at all?

Is the idea that we can run 4 solid lines and wear people down and don't need high end scorers a foolish one?

Do we miss Genoway that much?

Is it our shooting, our passing, or our team speed?

Are we not getting the right recruits to score at this level?

Are we just snake-bit?

Will things be better next year with pretty much the same team?

Anyone have any thoughts?

a little bit of all these.

Fact - the only Sioux players to make an all WCHA team (1st, 2nd or 3rd) since the 05-06 class (Lee, Chorney, Duncan, Oshie Toews, etc.) are Genoway and Eidesness, no forwards.

Fact - no Sioux have made the WCHA all-rookie team since Lee and Oshie did in 05-06.

Kristo will probably be on the all-rookie team this year. I don't see us placing anyone on the all WCHA team this year.

What's happened is that the skill players brought in since 05 haven't panned out, at least not to the extent we have been used to at the beginning of the decade (Parisie, Stafford, Zajac, etc.).

This is why Brock Nelson may be here sooner than the CW believes.

The current team is scoring at a rate of 2.86 goals/game, which is the lowest in the history of the program (post WWII)

On the other hand, the current team is allowing only 2.21 goals/game, 4th lowest in the history of the program (post WWII)

Personally, I think this says as much about the team's struggles to score as it does about the rise in the importance and competence of goaltending throughout hockey.

It would be interesting to see where this season's goal/game rate ranks when adjusting for differences in NCAA-wide scoring each season.

Fact - the only Sioux players to make an all WCHA team (1st, 2nd or 3rd) since the 05-06 class (Lee, Chorney, Duncan, Oshie Toews, etc.) are Genoway and Eidesness, no forwards.

Fact - no Sioux have made the WCHA all-rookie team since Lee and Oshie did in 05-06.

Kristo will probably be on the all-rookie team this year. I don't see us placing anyone on the all WCHA team this year.

What's happened is that the skill players brought in since 05 haven't panned out, at least not to the extent we have been used to at the beginning of the decade (Parisie, Stafford, Zajac, etc.).

This is why Brock Nelson may be here sooner than the CW believes.

Teams win championships. Who cares about individual accolades?

The current team is scoring at a rate of 2.86 goals/game, which is the lowest in the history of the program (post WWII)

On the other hand, the current team is allowing only 2.21 goals/game, 4th lowest in the history of the program (post WWII)

Personally, I think this says as much about the team's struggles to score as it does about the rise in the importance and competence of goaltending throughout hockey.

It would be interesting to see where this season's goal/game rate ranks when adjusting for differences in NCAA-wide scoring each season.

Well said.

I mentioned after the Denver series that our defense has been keeping us in games, but didn't do the legwork to crunch the numbers. After looking at this, can you imagine where we'd be if we didn't have the great PK unit and overall solid D that we do? Scary.

I'm far from an expert but it seems teams are playing defense better. We don't get the scoring opportunities off of rushes like we used to and we don't get time and space when we're on our set offense.

I think it's more of how they're playing us rather than a lack of effort, but then what do I know?

Better question is what happened to the scoring over the last twenty years? Look at the stats from the 80's and early 90's to now. First line players today would at best have been third or fourth line players before. How many of the current players today would have even made the '87 team? A couple at best.

Better question is what happened to the scoring over the last twenty years? Look at the stats from the 80's and early 90's to now. First line players today would at best have been third or fourth line players before. How many of the current players today would have even made the '87 team? A couple at best.

Since it appears you're on a roll today with your posts, I'll respond to this one.

The whole game of hockey, especially in the WCHA, has changed to a defensive game. Basing your theory on stats about where certain players would compare to player's of 20 years ago is just plain dumb.

How many points would Hrkac put up in today's league? 50-60 at best in my IMO.

Since it appears you're on a roll today with your posts, I'll respond to this one.

The whole game of hockey, especially in the WCHA, has changed to a defensive game. Basing your theory on stats about where certain players would compare to player's of 20 years ago is just plain dumb.

More like a hundred. What would the 87 team do to any of the 2000 era teams?

I would have to agree with you. Just take a look at the goalies from that era in the pregame video. Of course a ton of goals are going to be scored when the goalie just stands there and tries to catch the puck with his glove. The style of play in goalies is totally different from that era to now. Shooters had openings all over to shoot at. Now, you either have to be a sniper or have a darn good move to score.

It depends on when the game was played, but the 87 team would beat a lot of good teams from today.

Hrkac would never put up a 100 points in a season now.

First, seasons are shorter.

Second, goalies are better. I would say goaltending has made 10x as many strides in the last 20 years as offense has. Goaltender's also had the most area to improve in IMO.

Third, teams overall are better. From top to bottom, there is a lot more parity. A lot more quality teams and players.

Second, goalies are better. I would say goaltending has made 10x as many strides in the last 20 years as offense has. Goaltender's also had the most area to improve in IMO.

They also take up more of the net by virtue of bigger and better equipment.

If the game were played with today's rules, the 87 team would spend about 3/4 of the game in the penalty box.

Of course, they were talented enough that they would probably still make a game of it. :D

If the game were played with today's rules, the 87 team would spend about 3/4 of the game in the penalty box.

Of course, they were talented enough that they would probably still make a game of it. :D

Very true, and if you go back to the early 80's championship games, the hooking and holding is even more noticeable. It's unreal that those teams could score like they did given the way the game was played.

Very true, and if you go back to the early 80's championship games, the hooking and holding is even more noticeable. It's unreal that those teams could score like they did given the way the game was played.

I think they could because of the goalie play. I watched a couple of those old early 80's games and it's amazing. The goalies were all stand-up style and it was amazing what got through sometimes.

I agree with whoever said it earlier that the goalie position had the greatest potential to increase in proficiency, and between styles and technology (equipment growth) it has fulfilled much of that promise, IMO.