SiouxSports.com Forum

First Trip To The Ralph

woodbutcher

Like the title says, I will be making my first trip to the Ralph at the end of January to see the Denver series. I was wondering if there is anything you folks would recommend I see or do while I'm in town. Any pre game or post game favorites? Thanks in advance.

Eat at the Red Pepper. Do not leave Grand Forks without doing this. Preferrably late at night, after the game and after you're a few sheets to the wind.

Like the title says, I will be making my first trip to the Ralph at the end of January to see the Denver series. I was wondering if there is anything you folks would recommend I see or do while I'm in town. Any pre game or post game favorites? Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you are looking for...restaurants or bars?

Restaurants:

Whitey's

BWW

Texas Roadhouse

Blue Moose

Bars:

Gillys

Joe Blacks

O'Reilly's

I am forgetting some, but others can fill in. Most bars downtown have buses to the games, I believe as well as several restaurants.

Where are you sitting, if I may ask and that would determine good food around you.

As a fan who's been to GF a few times for Gophers-Sioux series I would recommend the following.

-The Red Pepper for a Grinder

-The El Roco for post-game

-Gillys for pre or post game, I thought their food was actually pretty good.

-Happy Joes for their taco pizza, they have a lunch buffet on Saturdays.....but their taco pizza is epic.

NOTE: Make it the original Red Pepper on University Ave. It looks the same now as when I was in college in the 1970's. There is a shiny new glitzy Red Pepper on 42nd Ave. North, but it just doesn't have the ambiance of the original. Double ham, double cheese grinder with taco meat, extra mayo, extra hot. Nothing else like it. It will stay with you for hours! :silly::)

Restaurants:

Whitey's

BWW

Texas Roadhouse

Blue Moose

Bars:

Gillys

Joe Blacks

O'Reilly's

I am forgetting some, but others can fill in. Most bars downtown have buses to the games, I believe as well as several restaurants.

Where are you sitting, if I may ask and that would determine good food around you.

Not sure where we are sitting, they are my uncles season tickets so I will have to ask him where they are located. Thanks for the great suggestions, keep em coming.

Does the Spud bar still exist? Where is it located?

I think it's near the Level 7 or Ma Barkers ! :silly: Does anyone remember the Galaxy Lounge in the basement of the North Star Inn ? Use to love those round tables with a picture of the solar system on them.

At the original Spud on Friday afternoons. That was before the bar started to sink into the Red Lake River. I don't remember if they had buck pitchers at the new Spud.

Is this the one that used to be Whiskey Point Saloon?

Ignore the bars. Go everywhere but those places 8o)

Restaurants:

Whitey's

BWW

Texas Roadhouse

Blue Moose

Bars:

Gillys

Joe Blacks

O'Reilly's

I did not know there was a second spud. Does the level 7 still exist?

The original Spud was built along the Red Lake River, right beside the Louis Murray Bridge that goes across to the Point in East Grand Forks. The parking lot was mainly along the north side of the building. The foundation started to slide into the river. So they decided to tear that building down and built a new building on the north side of the parking lot, and put a parking lot over the old building. I believe that it became Whiskey Point or Whiskey something for a little while, then became a non-alcoholic club for a little while. I'm not sure what is in that building right now.

The Level 7 went away in the early 80s. Another bar took it's place for a little while, and then bars left that building. There is now a restaurant in part of that space. That is all part of what used to be known as the Holiday Mall in East Grand Forks, a building that is now known as the Riverwalk Centre Mall that now hosts the River Cinema 12 movie theater.

And for UND85, Ma Barkers is now a gas station and office space. I used to hang out at Ma Barkers a lot. Almost all of the places from my youth have changed, and not all for the better.

I believe that it became Whiskey Point or Whiskey something for a little while, then became a non-alcoholic club for a little while. I'm not sure what is in that building right now.

It was either Whiskey River or Whiskey Point Saloon I can't remember... And the one what was in the old Mall dowtown in Grand Forks was closed after the Flood.

I think it's near the Level 7 or Ma Barkers ! :silly: Does anyone remember the Galaxy Lounge in the basement of the North Star Inn ? Use to love those round tables with a picture of the solar system on them.

I drank a beer or two in the Galaxy, liked the shag carpet on the walls.... :)

The original Spud was built along the Red Lake River, right beside the Louis Murray Bridge that goes across to the Point in East Grand Forks. The parking lot was mainly along the north side of the building. The foundation started to slide into the river. So they decided to tear that building down and built a new building on the north side of the parking lot, and put a parking lot over the old building. I believe that it became Whiskey Point or Whiskey something for a little while, then became a non-alcoholic club for a little while. I'm not sure what is in that building right now.

The Level 7 went away in the early 80s. Another bar took it's place for a little while, and then bars left that building. There is now a restaurant in part of that space. That is all part of what used to be known as the Holiday Mall in East Grand Forks, a building that is now known as the Riverwalk Centre Mall that now hosts the River Cinema 12 movie theater.

And for UND85, Ma Barkers is now a gas station and office space. I used to hang out at Ma Barkers a lot. Almost all of the places from my youth have changed, and not all for the better.

I was a student in the 70's and it is sad these places are gone. I will check out the new spud the next time I am in GF.