SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Ohio St. and Miami

AZSIOUX

Sioux coming into Holiday Classic on a 3 game losing streak. Ohio State comes to the Ralph being last swept by Ferris State for a Friday game. Miami will be in town as well playing Bemidji State and then North Dakota for a big time game on the national stage Saturday. Get back on the winning track!

und.gif

Overall Record: 7-4-1 (.625)

WCHA: 5-4-1, 11 points

Home: 4-1-1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this team has a long ways to go, and I was already thinking this before last week's St. Cloud series...but it seems like an opportune time now that we are on a 3 game losing streak.

We've looked pretty good at times, but have little in the way of consistency. We've swept two series, Merrimack (picked to finish 10th in Hockey East) and Michigan Tech (picked to be last in the WCHA). Now, Merrimack has been a surpise so far in Hockey East, but they are still Merrimack. They'll be a bottom half team by the end of the season. Michigan Tech just isn't a good team. We failed to sweep Minnesota and St. Cloud, and now lost two both games against a very good team in Denver.

The Sioux have a great team, but there's a ways to go yet. Eids has looked great in my eyes (not in some others) and we have some great freshmen. However, besides Chay Genoway, the older leaders haven't led like they should in the way of just getting the puck in the net on a consistent basis. Scoring will be a problem all year I have a feeling, especially until Chay gets back. To give up only four goals all weekend, and all on the PP, is a good sign, but to lose both because we ourselves can't score...that is a bad sign.

Time to turn it around and beat a couple CCHA teams for Pairwise purposes...the Miami game will have huge implications.

On a more positive side, I think this team has championship pieces in place. All our scoring guys won't go anywhere but up, and if our defense continues to stay stout, I wouldn't want to place us. I actually haven't felt as good about a team's chances since 06-07.

The Sioux have a great team, but there's a ways to go yet. Eids has looked great in my eyes (not in some others) and we have some great freshmen.

UND is ranked 3rd nationally in team defense. Also, I don't see a problem with what you said.

Can we hire CCHA refs for this weekend?

You mean:

1. Interference is a penalty

2. Diving can be called without an offsetting penalty

3. NCAA crackdowns not already listed are to be followed

Those refs?

Heh, I'm not naive enough to say that CCHA officials are all saints and all, because I know that's not true, but it would be nice to have officials blow calls due to human error rather than to situational officiating, emotion, preconcieved bias, institution-enforced parity, educational messaging, and just not knowing the rules.

Not a chance.

I like our odds. Miami has done well this year, but Miami and UND play a similar style of game. The CCHA is down this year. MSU may be a surprise but Notre Dame and Michigan have taken steps backwards (Notre Dame will recover... but Michigan.. crap, they've stepped backwards off a cliff).

I LOVE our defense. They aren't as physical as the previous dominant units UND has had, but they are really good at getting in lanes, cutting off angles, and simply playing in our own zone.

We played an entire period short handed yesterday and DU was only able to drop 3 on us. THAT is amazing! Trust me. How many other teams could spend that much time killing penalties against a top 3 team in DI and do better? Yeah, it sucked they got three on us, but it could have been worse.

I think we just refocus and move on. And heck, if we were going to fall apart discipline wise, this past weekend was the time to do it. Better early than late. Better against a quality opponent than a bottom tier team like.... Robert Morris or heaven forbid UAH or whatever.

Can we hire CCHA refs for this weekend?

I am not so sure we want that because there is a good chance we would end up with the Michigan Grad Matt Shegos and that wouldn't be good becaue I can't remember a game where he reffed that we didn't screwed as well. This is a good write up from a mad fan.

I'm sick of it. It's obvious to anyone watching this guy he's a tool (just ask North Dakota, who got screwed out of playing us for the NC last year on account of a patented Shegos "call" for cross checking that gave BC the man advantage and the winning goal). He's an embarrassment. He is purposely manipulating the outcomes of these games.

I demand this fool be fired or retire. He loves Red Berenson and SCum too much. That's fine, if you aren't an official. Resign and let Red give you season tickets at Yost. In any event, please make this next paycheck your last.

However, besides Chay Genoway, the older leaders haven't led like they should in the way of just getting the puck in the net on a consistent basis.

On a more positive side, I think this team has championship pieces in place. All our scoring guys won't go anywhere but up, and if our defense continues to stay stout, I wouldn't want to place us. I actually haven't felt as good about a team's chances since 06-07.

I agree with these statements 100%. I like the makeup of this team. They just need to get a little more from their upperclassmen, and I'm confident it will happen.

Yeah, let's get the Shegos crew for the weekend. :lol: He is a Michigan alum who Miami fans hate because of his multitude of nitpicky calls against them (he's our Shepherd to them). That would put me on the floor laughing.

I will take Derek Shephurd and Marco Hunt over him. Shegos is a clown as well. I hate to say it but all of the crappy officials the WCHA has we would have never gotten the crap we got in Denver from Derek and Marco.

I agree with these statements 100%. I like the makeup of this team. They just need to get a little more from their upperclassmen, and I'm confident it will happen.

Yep... I agree too and what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. I have a feeling this week in practice isn't going to be very fun.

Officiating aside for a while...The Ohio State University split with Denver earlier this season. A win over them is a key PWR common opponent tic. As for Miami...well, aside from being a great matchup a victory there would be oh so sweet.

Here's hoping BSU butters 'em up a bit for us on Friday!

Looking forward to watching some great college hockey at the RAE!

Officiating aside for a while...The Ohio State University split with Denver earlier this season. A win over them is a key PWR common opponent tic. As for Miami...well, aside from being a great matchup a victory there would be oh so sweet.

Here's hoping BSU butters 'em up a bit for us on Friday!

Looking forward to watching some great college hockey at the RAE!

I really missed the holiday tourney and I am glad it's back.

I know it's too late I'm sure...but for future reference,

Can UND hire whomever they please for non-league games, such as this Subway Classic this weekend? If they can, I wouldn't mind seeing them hire some more respectable NCAA refs for the weekend to stick it to the WCHA regulars.

I know it's too late I'm sure...but for future reference,

Can UND hire whomever they please for non-league games, such as this Subway Classic this weekend? If they can, I wouldn't mind seeing them hire some more respectable NCAA refs for the weekend to stick it to the WCHA regulars.

You have to wonder if we could. After last weekend I have to wonder if we will see those two clowns again this season?

You have to wonder if we could. After last weekend I have to wonder if we will see those two clowns again this season?

I will have "the list" of numbers and names in hand, just to be sure I know who's who next weekend. Anderson (Fire Marshall Bill) and a few others I know by sight, but many I don't. It's good to have a cross reference.

I will have "the list" of numbers and names in hand, just to be sure I know who's who next weekend. Anderson (Fire Marshall Bill) and a few others I know by sight, but many I don't. It's good to have a cross reference.

There are a few that stick out, for example Campion wears his helmet a certain way same with Shep. I would have loved to see Todd Anderson ref last night's game with the Dasher Troll's antics.

Then it's not a tourney.

It's a... I don't know. series of nonconference single game sets.

There are different kinds of tournaments. I'd still call it one since it involves multiple teams. This is what they called a "Showcase" -- I heard Hak talking about this last year on the radio or something.