SiouxSports.com Forum

Wooger's prediction.

Goon

If you think Mazacco is the unbiased announcer I would suggest laying off the crack. Woog is far more critical of the Gophers (and their opponents) than Frank ever dreams of being.

PCM -

Sometimes he's funny on purpose. Sometimes he's funny when he doesn't mean to be.
TFF :)

Ok, George Costanza is one of the funniest characters that has ever been on TV. Never compare him to Doug Woog.

Secondly, the Wisco announcers rule. PB and Sagissor are the best tandem (aside from our guys, of course) in college hockey. They were the best thing about Bucky last year.

Sagissorism..."He's felt a lot of shame this year with over 100 penalty minutes."

Oh my problem with UW announcers isn't that they use different words or are slighted towards their team. My problem is that they are blind to objective hockey entirely. They don't have to root for the Sioux or give them equal air time when talking about the programs. But when they (UW) commit a penalty it isn't always a "bad call." If the Sioux get penalized and it is a bad call, they kiss the ref's posterior. Ok, maybe that's to be expected but I don't have to like it.

And Sagissor's "Shame" routine is quite nice. I liked it. It actually gives a nice context to how I feel about intentional penalties. He must've had a lot of fun with Greene and DeMarchi when they played UW.

so in other words the announces for the home team have to be comlpetley unbiased?!?!? C'mon, I doubt your guys up there don't have a little "homer" in their comments... :)

WPoS

Hennessy is definitely a homer, but a very good play-by-play man. I realize Woog is a homer, and I did not like him as a coach, but I actually like him as a color commentator. He's better than Mazzoco, who is far less objective, or the ultimate homer with absolutely no objectivity or credibility, Paul Allen for the Vikings.

Hennessy is definitely a homer, but a very good play-by-play man. I realize Woog is a homer, and I did not like him as a coach, but I actually like him as a color commentator. He's better than Mazzoco, who is far less objective, or the ultimate homer with absolutely no objectivity or credibility, Paul Allen for the Vikings.

I really like Woog as a color guy and have said this before. And regardless of comments I made above, or Woog's obvious homerism even on TV, I give the guy credit because IMO he calls it as he really sees it. He's not afraid to compliment the Sioux when they do something well, or rip the Gophers if they screw up. He's also not slow to correct Mazzocco when he's complaining about a call that went against the goofs when Wooger thinks it's a good call.

Hennessy is as biased as they come, but calls a good game regardless. For that reason he's easy to listen to if you're a Sioux fan, but I take many of his comments about plays or officiating with a grain of salt because he wears his Kelly Green on his sleeve.

My problem is that they are blind to objective hockey entirely. They don't have to root for the Sioux or give them equal air time when talking about the programs. But when they (UW) commit a penalty it isn't always a "bad call." If the Sioux get penalized and it is a bad call, they kiss the ref's posterior. Ok, maybe that's to be expected but I don't have to like it.

This is my problem with Woog as well. Maybe he doesn't do this quite so much anymore, but when the Gophers get called for somthing minor it's like "I can't believe he called that!" and when the opposition did it's "The ref did a nice job catching that one!"

Mozocco needs to shorten his leash considerably if he wasts anyone other than the Maroon and Gold bleeders to listen to anything Woog has to say.

Mozocco is just as bad if not worse, the guy is a clown. In fact he had many Sioux fans up in arms during the Sioux dominance years 1997-2001. I think Mozocco is even more partisan. I think Woog is funny but I still remember him from his days as a coach, he is nothing more than a Mouth Piece for the UofM hockey program and its university.

This is my problem with Woog as well. Maybe he doesn't do this quite so much anymore, but when the Gophers get called for somthing minor it's like "I can't believe he called that!" and when the opposition did it's "The ref did a nice job catching that one!"

I guess I have heard several times where he has called a spade a spade in these cases. My impression is he is pretty unbiased on these types of things.

I was told that Hennessy made the final cut to be the "Call(er) of the Wild." That tells me that, setting aside his attachment to the program that comes through at times, he's a top calibre play-by-play guy. But we knew that.

On a somewhat related note, I read somewhere that "Shoutin'" Ed Schultz was in the final cut for Voice of the Vikes (won by Paul Allen). As much as Schultz can annoy me (and we won't go into all that again), at least he doesn't have a clipboard full of catchy phrases, and trying-to-sound-cutting-edge bunk, that he tries to slip into games all the time. And as hard as this is to believe, PA makes Ed look objective.

A little off subject, but, KFGO got rid of Mick Farkas last spring. Any word on who will be doing Sioux mens basketball? (I believe Scott Swygman will still be doing the womens games. He's not too shabby either.)

Kind of fun when you think about it:

UND has some relatively decent play-by-play folks.

There's a good interview with Tim Hennessy in the new Sioux Illustrated. He thought he was all set to become the voice of the New Jersey Devils until some other broadcaster took the job for less than what he said he'd take.

I think Woog is funny but I still remember him from his days as a coach, he is nothing more than a Mouth Piece for the UofM hockey program and its university.

I think Woog is still actually an employee of the U. At least he was initially after Lucia started, some fund raising function was his role.

I was told that Hennessy made the final cut to be the "Call(er) of the Wild." That tells me that, setting aside his attachment to the program that comes through at times, he's a top calibre play-by-play guy. But we knew that.

Hennessy is one of the best, no doubt about it, and it sounds as though he's been close on a few NHL opportunities. If his goal is play-by-play at the NHL level, his ship will eventually come in, no question.

One of my favorite Hennessy moments was last season against Yale, when a couple of fans started verbally sparring with Tim while on the air. "I think this guy wants to take me outside and kick my rear-end!" Classic. :D