SiouxSports.com Forum

What are the chances to get Eric Schmidt as DC?

star2city

I did not know we needed one....?

We have 2 now, you want 3.....?

Wishfully, thinking long-term, after our current coaches are gone because of winning success.

So, coachdags, what is the team's current problem? We basically should have lost to a team that is less than Minot State. Until this game, I had given the coaching staff and players a free pass and instead they keep laying eggs. Being blown out by SFA, SUU, and even Sioux Falls, I could understand based on circumstances.

Non-performance against SOU, in the last home game of the season, the last game for seniors, doesn't cut it.

How is the team's performance acceptable to you?

Wishfully, thinking long-term, after our current coaches are gone because of winning success.

So, coachdags, what is the team's current problem? We basically should have lost to a team that is less than Minot State. Until this game, I had given the coaching staff and players a free pass and instead they keep laying eggs. Being blown out by SFA, SUU, and even Sioux Falls, I could understand based on circumstances.

Non-performance against SOU, in the last home game of the season, the last game for seniors, doesn't cut it.

I have to agree.

What is going on in that locker room? Why can't this team "get up" for games? Why did we run the wildcat 10 plays one game and never tried again? Why don't we see more creativity in playcalling? Why didn't Goska see the field yesterday? Why has our punt returner remained in that position after his struggles all year? Why wasn't this speedy redshirt freshman put in games earlier this season to return punts? Why does Hellevang punt sometimes, and the other guy who boots it nicely play only a few times? Why is our first play of every new series a run? Sadly, I could keep asking questions....

So, coachdags, what is the team's current problem?

I do not see one, it's call transition for a reason. Given time (couple years) we will be fine.

I do not have to have a 30 point blow out win to be entertained. I also try and remember that this is a secondary by product of why these young athletes are here. They primary reason they came to UND was for a education, their performance in the Athletic arena is secondary, and mostly for enjoyment.

I do realize that the Coaches are getting paid, and as long as they are helping teach the athletes the values that help them enter into society as responsible people, I guess I'm happy. I only wish we could grade out each week our History, English, Mathmatics, and Science Professors...?

Then again we could hire Bill Belichick..... :angry:

I do not see one, it's call transition for a reason. Given time (couple years) we will be fine.

We're not transitioning from D2 to NAIA.

I do not have to have a 30 point blow out win to be entertained. I also try and remember that this is a secondary by product of why these young athletes are here. They primary reason they came to UND was for a education, their performance in the Athletic arena is secondary, and mostly for enjoyment.
So we should go non-scholarship then? All kinds of players would want to be part of a UND program without being reimbursed and perform better than what was observed yesterday.

I do realize that the Coaches are getting paid, and as long as they are helping teach the athletes the values that help them enter into society as responsible people, I guess I'm happy. I only wish we could grade out each week our History, English, Mathmatics, and Science Professors...?

Part of that is excellence is in every endeavor: on the field too.

He would probably have made some changes and adjsutments. :lol:

I guess that is why so many people are upset...it isn't just a one week thing. :lol:

No one is saying that these coaches aren't nice guys to have a beer with but their is and should always be expectations that come with being a part of this football program. Right now those expectations are not being met. If we want to be a !@#!$ football program where winning and competing for championships isn't a realistic goal then we can continue tolerating the poor play and poor game day preparation demonstrated by this football team and this coaching staff.

You guys still mad at Jimmy K dropping that ball against UNC, Shannon B fumbling in the mud at Indiana, PA, Bowenkamp missing that reciever in North Alabama......?

Dale, Bubba, and Dosch leaving....how could they....?

I know I still send them cards every year..... :angry:

You guys still mad at Jimmy K dropping that ball against UNC, Shannon B fumbling in the mud at Indiana, PA, Bowenkamp missing that reciever in North Alabama......?

Dale, Bubba, and Dosch leaving....how could they....?

I know I still send them cards every year..... :angry:

No I'm not mad at those guys because they showed up every week and played hard. None of those players would have considered yesterday's performance acceptable. What was acceptable about yesterday's performance? What was acceptable about the loss to Sioux Falls or the blowout loss to Southern Utah? Why should continuing underperformance be considered acceptable? It's how things work in the real world. Either you produce or your gone.

No I'm not mad at those guys because they showed up every week and played hard. None of those players would have considered yesterday's performance acceptable. What was acceptable about yesterday's performance? What was acceptable about the loss to Sioux Falls or the blowout loss to Southern Utah? Why should continuing underperformance be considered acceptable? It's how things work in the real world. Either you produce or your gone.

its a waste of energy. Dags seems to want to let things slide because he is so proud he is the coaches buddy. yawn

Team chemistry is a strange thing in football. One group might need to get verbally ripped to shreds to get the message while others might need to completely be left alone. I recall a bad game early in the season my first year at UND and the captains took over the Sunday run instead of continuing with the same old strength coach standard. Well the captain in charge happened to be Mark Callahan and I thought it was crazy because our Sunday run before meetings became very lazy, but for some reason the team responded. Each group is different and it's up to the coaches to figure it out. Sometimes it takes a while or it might never happen.

Basically what you are saying, if our football team was 0-11 every year, you would be fine with that as long as all of them were pulling 4.0 averages in the classroom and were reading to 1st graders every Friday morning? Sorry, but this isn't the FBS Ivy League, the FCS Pioneer League or the D-II version of Morningside College in Sioux City, IA. This is the University of North Dakota, where excellence in both academics and athletics is cherished and expected. Our Student-Athletes do a great job in the classroom and in the community, as well as in bringing home championships (both conference and national). Are they perfect? No (nobody is), but it's a false choice to suggest that you can't have excellence in both the athletic arena and in the classroom. It's just as much of a false choice as the false choice between hockey and football, but that's another topic.

This is not meant to be personal or anything (you are an intelligent poster with good insights on things), but I think you should either promote joining the Pioneer League as a non-scholarship FCS program or rethink the low expectations you have for the football program (which is the reason we moved up in the first place).

Basically what you are saying, if our football team was 0-11 every year, you would be fine with that as long as all of them were pulling 4.0 averages in the classroom and were reading to 1st graders every Friday morning? Sorry, but this isn't the FBS Ivy League, the FCS Pioneer League or the D-II version of Morningside College in Sioux City, IA. This is the University of North Dakota, where excellence in both academics and athletics is cherished and expected. Our Student-Athletes do a great job in the classroom and in the community, as well as in bringing home championships (both conference and national). Are they perfect? No (nobody is), but it's a false choice to suggest that you can't have excellence in both the athletic arena and in the classroom. It's just as much of a false choice as the false choice between hockey and football, but that's another topic.

This is not meant to be personal or anything (you are an intelligent poster with good insights on things), but I think you should either promote joining the Pioneer League as a non-scholarship FCS program or rethink the low expectations you have for the football program (which is the reason we moved up in the first place).

You really need to get a grip......(reading comp may help)

Are we 0-11...? Seriously We just won our 600th game in program history!

But guess what at the end of the day, it is just a Game, that is all a Game, Not Life or Death, not going to War....It's a GAME!

By the way GO SIOUX!

I like this post

I've got a lot of opinions on this topic, but I kind of want to wait until after the season to share most of them since the last two games should tell us a lot about the state of the defense. All I'll say at this point is that we're giving up 29.2 ppg, and 408 ypg, and if the numbers don't dramatically improve against UC-Davis and Central Arkansas, it will be the fourth consecutive year where the defensive numbers were worse than the season before.

I've got a lot of opinions on this topic, but I kind of want to wait until after the season to share most of them since the last two games should tell us a lot about the state of the defense. All I'll say at this point is that we're giving up 29.2 ppg, and 408 ypg, and if the numbers don't dramatically improve against UC-Davis and Central Arkansas, it will be the fourth consecutive year where the defensive numbers were worse than the season before.

I guess the one and only commit to make is if you are that concerned with the coaching staff you need to give more money so a coaching change can take place. Stop complaining and support your team!

I guess the one and only commit to make is if you are that concerned with the coaching staff you need to give more money so a coaching change can take place. Stop complaining and support your team!

I don't think I was complaining--I was making a factual statement. And I do give money. My comments may not always be 100% positive, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many fans/alums who care more about UND football than I do.

I don't think I was complaining--I was making a factual statement. And believe me, I do give money. My comments may not always be 100% positive, but you'd be hard-pressed to find many fans/alums who care more about UND football than me.

That is how I read it as well...you brought up a statistic that, no matter how you try to spin it, is disturbing to this longtime UND football fan.

We could use about a thousand more UND92,96's around here. Supporting your team doesn't mean every opinion has to be duckies and bunnies 24-7!

He knows the 3-4, and he's an up and coming coach that gets results, and he's affordable within UND's budget.

I wouldn't mind Digger Anderson either, but it's too early in his coaching career. :)

I agree with those thoughts completely but do you think MM doesn't know the 3-4? It basically boils down to JK calling the defense and he doesn't know the 3-4, he's a 4-3 guy from Augie who went way back with Mussman. We could save alot of time and energy and give the play calling to Mannausau as I am pretty sure we would see many of the same things we were used to seeing before Kelling came into the mix.

I agree with those thoughts completely but do you think MM doesn't know the 3-4? It basically boils down to JK calling the defense and he doesn't know the 3-4, he's a 4-3 guy from Augie who went way back with Mussman. We could save alot of time and energy and give the play calling to Mannausau as I am pretty sure we would see many of the same things we were used to seeing before Kelling came into the mix.

MM should be calling the plays. But the big question is.... is Muss willing to change the rolls and take away the play calling duties from his BFF and turn them over to MM? Only time will tell. And I assume some of that decision will be based on the Ds performance in Nov.