SiouxSports.com Forum

What are the chances to get Eric Schmidt as DC?

star2city

MM should be calling the plays. But the big question is.... is Muss willing to change the rolls and take away the play calling duties from his BFF and turn them over to MM? Only time will tell. And I assume some of that decision will be based on the Ds performance in Nov.

Here's what I don't quite understand--we have two defensive coordinators, and one of them also happens to have the title of assistant head coach (MM). So wouldn't it stand to reason that as between the co-coordinators, the one with the assistant head coach title should have more authority? It seems like the opposite has happened here, which seems even stranger considering the fact that the assistant head coach before MM got the title was Mussman himself.

Here's what I don't quite understand--we have two defensive coordinators, and one of them also happens to have the title of assistant head coach (MM). So wouldn't it stand to reason that as between the co-coordinators, the one with the assistant head coach title should have more authority? It seems like the opposite has happened here, which seems even stranger considering the fact that the assistant head coach before MM got the title was Mussman himself.

I think because of the way you just rationalized the play calling, many people do the same and consequently MM is the fall guy. This is as far from the truth as you can get. I can go along with what Muss was doing with allowing JK the play calling responsibilities but at what point do you say enough is enough, what you are doing isn't working and then hand it over to the most qualified person on the staff and let him take off with it. Here's a thought, should it have happened against USF?

I think because of the way you just rationalized the play calling, many people do the same and consequently MM is the fall guy. This is as far from the truth as you can get. I can go along with what Muss was doing with allowing JK the play calling responsibilities but at what point do you say enough is enough, what you are doing isn't working and then hand it over to the most qualified person on the staff and let him take off with it. Here's a thought, should it have happened against USF?

So again we get back to the question if Mussman will do "the right thing"? He is the HC and the final decision is his.

I find it very strange with the problems the defense has that some of you think just letting MM call the D will make a big difference. I am sorry, but I don't buy that just because a guy played in a system it automatically makes him the better coach and better person to call plays. If that's the case just hand that job over to Kotelnicki, I think he would actually be the best guy for the job and that also includes Schmidt as well.

I find it very strange with the problems the defense has that some of you think just letting MM call the D will make a big difference. I am sorry, but I don't buy that just because a guy played in a system it automatically makes him the better coach and better person to call plays. If that's the case just hand that job over to Kotelnicki, I think he would actually be the best guy for the job and that also includes Schmidt as well.

Kotelnicki, Schmidt, Anderson all learned the system under one of the coaches who are currently on staff right now.........Mannausau, who in turn played and coached with Lennon. Has that thought entered into anyone's minds?

Kotelnicki, Schmidt, Anderson all learned the system under one of the coaches who are currently on staff right now.........Mannausau, who in turn played and coached with Lennon. Has that thought entered into anyone's minds?

Pretty sure Mannausau never coached Kotelnicki or Schmidt?

Pretty sure Mannausau never coached Kotelnicki or Schmidt?

MM was a GA when they played if I remember correctly. But, it all boils down to 3-4 guys we are talking about which Kelling is not. My point is, the defense is not playing up to the standards that we were used to seeing. MM is in a position to call the defense if Muss would give him the chance. The three names would all be good and I wouldn't argue that for a minute.

SIU seems to be doing pretty well with their season and their 3-4 looks pretty familiar to the defenses that UND was putting on the field and winning NCC championships.

MM was a GA when they played if I remember correctly. But, it all boils down to 3-4 guys we are talking about which Kelling is not. My point is, the defense is not playing up to the standards that we were used to seeing. MM is in a position to call the defense if Muss would give him the chance. The three names would all be good and I wouldn't argue that for a minute.

SIU seems to be doing pretty well with their season and their 3-4 looks pretty familiar to the defenses that UND was putting on the field and winning NCC championships.

Does anybody know who was actually calling the defense during the first two years of the co-coordinator situation when Lennon was still here?

QUOTE (thequestionguy @ Nov 9 2009, 10:33 PM)

I agree with those thoughts completely but do you think MM doesn't know the 3-4? It basically boils down to JK calling the defense and he doesn't know the 3-4, he's a 4-3 guy from Augie who went way back with Mussman. We could save alot of time and energy and give the play calling to Mannausau as I am pretty sure we would see many of the same things we were used to seeing before Kelling came into the mix.

MM should be calling the plays. But the big question is.... is Muss willing to change the rolls and take away the play calling duties from his BFF and turn them over to MM? Only time will tell. And I assume some of that decision will be based on the Ds performance in Nov.

These two posts are right on and it is totally up to Muss, what he will do is anybodies guess? I hope he makes the correct decision because if he goes the wrong way it will affect UND FB until all new coaches come in.

Pretty sure Mannausau was a GA when both Schmidty and Kotels were there.

QUOTE (thequestionguy @ Nov 9 2009, 10:33 PM)

I agree with those thoughts completely but do you think MM doesn't know the 3-4? It basically boils down to JK calling the defense and he doesn't know the 3-4, he's a 4-3 guy from Augie who went way back with Mussman. We could save alot of time and energy and give the play calling to Mannausau as I am pretty sure we would see many of the same things we were used to seeing before Kelling came into the mix.

These two posts are right on and it is totally up to Muss, what he will do is anybodies guess? I hope he makes the correct decision because if he goes the wrong way it will affect UND FB until all new coaches come in.

The decision to have co-coordinators by Lennon was originally made because Mannaussau lacked the knowledge regarding the secondary to call a defense correctly and Kelling lacked enough knowledge regarding the 3-4 to call the defense correctly. This should have been a good indicator that neither one of them was ready or capable of being a D Coordinator. I think if Lennon would have had the option he probably would have gone and looked for someone outside of the program to come in but the pay scale is so low that he likely had no choice but to promote someone from within. Both of these guys have had four years to prove themselves and the defense has gotten worse every year under their watch.